HF Dust Collecter Deal is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Harbor Freight has their 2HP Dust Collector back on sale. With the 20% coupon that brings the price down to $127.99.

I think I'll finally bite and begin building out my DC for the shop. Getting tired of dragging my shop vac around from tool to tool.

clowman

Clay Lowman
That sounds like a pretty good deal. Is it 110 or 220? Any reports on the longevity of this tool? I already have a DC, but if I didn't and was on a tight budget, I'm sure this would get me started.

Mountaincraft

New User
William
I'm seriously suspicious of harbor freight tools. Plastic impellers, cheap motors, easily cracked casing and fittings. It looks identical to one that I saw at Northern tool company for the same price. That one was an absolute piece of junk. The delta 2 bag roll around is $150, and you can get finer bags for it aftermarket. It also comes with a good 10 ft hose. The one bag delta is $100 (same hose), and you can get a 5 micron bag for it for about $15. I have one of these, and it will keep up with a 12" board on a planer 1/16" cut. Just have to empty the bag more often. It is too small for open, fine stuff, though. Like for my contractor tablesaw. Still helps, and is much quieter than a shop vac. Makes a good fan, too.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I made the plunge yesterday so I'll do a review myself in a few weeks. Over the last year or so I have read some pretty good reviews on this unit at other sites. There was a lot of bad "reviews" there as well - but they were not from owners - most owner reviews that I have seen rate it as a good buy.

Based on what I read I figured it would handle the needs of my current equipment. (I only use my planer on an occasional basis.) My logic was to use it in order to get my shop piped for DC and then, if the unit wasn't up to the task as I add more equipment, I could replace it down the road with a better unit. At $137 loaded in my truck I can't lose too much on this decision.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Hugh,

I am sure it will meet your needs just fine. I have been looking at that unit myself waiting to make the plunge. It may end up being a good time. Can you provide us a link with the coupon?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Here is a link to an upgrade you can do for about $100 that will make a huge improvement in performance. This same conversion can be done with a number of different DC's too.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
For the coupon, sign up at harborfreight.com , they'll send them to you
weekly.

If you need one NOW, here it is:

---------------------------COUPON------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Out This E-Mail and bring it to your local
Harbor Freight Tools Retail Store!

20% Off Any Single Item

ID=77947567840
Coupon# 24486078
Coupon Expires January 19, 2006

This coupon must be completed and presented for redemption

Name___________________________________________
Address________________________________________
City________________ State_______ Zip__________

One coupon per customer. Coupons cannot be used with any other Discount or
Coupons. Coupons not valid on prior purchase or the purchase of gift cards
or purchase of extended service plans. Offer good on in-stock merchandise
only. Savings discount percentage off Harbor Freight Tools current prices,
including current sale prices. Coupon only valid if completely filled out.

Price- Although we make every effort to assure that our prices, products,
and coupons are advertised as accurately as possible, we are only human,

and in the event an error is made, we reserve the right to correct it.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
The 20% Off was in an e-mail. It's on my PC at home. I'll try and post tonight.

Thanks for posting the link Steve. That article was another one that swung me over to a buy decision.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The HF DC has done well for me for a few years. I did change the bags to Grizzly 0.3 micron ones, and that made a big difference in the dust in the shop. The stock 30 micron bags that come on almost all DCs blow the fine dust thru the bags into the shop.
The HF unit has a tough metal impellor that has survived several episodes of chunks of wood getting sucked into the unit.
HF stuff has to be watched, but I believe the DC is one of it's good buys.
ken

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I would upgrade to the cartridge filter before going to the "low micron" bags. You will get better filtration and have more surface area, which translates into better airflow.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Ken Massingale said:
I agree, Steve. Now I have to remember why I didn't do that instead of the .3 micron bags!:roll:

I didn't even think of it as an option until I stumbled across the conversion plans when I was researching sources for the filter on my cyclone. It's basically the same filter I have now and looks like a pretty simple job too.:eusa_doh: It would have saved me some work but moving the blower up top did reduce the overall footprint.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I am considering getting this unit and doing the cartridge mod. It will need to be placed inside my shop ...2 car garage connected to the house. How loud is it? Short of partially enclosing it in some type sound dampening structure (I'm thinking of a plywood box lined with roll insulation or eggcrate mattress with openings for ventilation) any ideas re: noise abatement? I would love to be able to listen to my radio while I work.

Thanks!
Mark

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Mark, make no mistake, dc's are loud but you can cut it down with an insulated enclosure. Give it some clearance space and a couple of vent holes to keep the heat down but a lot of people put them in closets, etc. with no problem. Another good option that I like for music while I'm working are these:
worktunes22.jpg
they're called worktunes and are made by Peltor. I've had mine for 3 years and I think they were a great investment at less than $50.

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
Thanks for posting the coupon, that should give me a good excuse to make a trip over to HF! I can agree with what has been said about some of their stuff being junk, but they do have good buys. I've been really happy with my 14" bandsaw, its been over two years now with no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS