HELP!!!!!! New woodturner needs info on chucks for jet mini lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

btdust

New User
bill
Went to a klingspor woodturning class recently and had a fantastic time. Learned alot and also learned I have alot to learn. My question is about chucks used when making bowls. Does anyone have any input about the Barracuda 2 chuck I found on the internet? All the reviews at that site made it sound like the best thing since sliced bread. The price for this chuck was around 160.00 compared to the 245.00 for the talon at klingspor. Any infor would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

btdust

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Bill,
I have the Barracuda II chuck and it has done everything I've asked of it. Mind you, I'm not as prolific as some of the turners on here, but have tried a variety of things. It comes with 4 sets of jaws which you usually have to buy extra with other chucks.
Are there better chucks? Yes. But for the money, I don't think you can beat it.
I'm sure you will get lots of other opinions on this. Just my .02

Good luck,

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
not sure about that one but i think daveO has it. he likes it. I have two talons, a stronghold, a nova compac thats loaned out right now and a cheepo delta that is nearly worthless. you cant go wrong with the talon. I dont see me ever wearing them out. the price is high but if you break it down over several years it isnt that bad. I am just up the road if you want to come by and try one out. I'm pretty sure dave would offer the same. IMHO oneway all the way.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have both a PSI Barracuda2 and a Oneway Talon. The Barracuda is an excellent chuck for the money, and will do everything you ask of it on a mini-lathe. But it isn't the quality of a Oneway chuck. That said if I wasn't given the Oneway as a gift, I would've probably bought the Barracuda and only had one chuck.
Dave:)

garymuto

New User
Gary
I bought the Barracuda (2000C) through Amazon. I figured that I could have everything but the one handed tightening. I'm happy with it but it is my first chuck so I'm not too discriminating.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
NOVA chuck has worked well for me

I really like my NOVA chuck, which I got on discount from Woodcraft. The nickel alloy doesn't rust at all either.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors