HELP!!! I'm a mickey mouse woodworker....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, its time to confess. I have very/extraordinarily bad work habits. The more I do the worse I seem to get.

I just can't figure a way out of my mindset.

I keep taking simple projects and making them into complex multi-part behemoths.

Here are some of my symptoms:

1. Refuse to waste scrap.
I keep going to my scrap pile to make lots of little parts instead of using a new piece. Case in point, a mantle I'm working on now has 27 parts glued and screwed to create a framework, when I could've done it by making a basic 4 sided box.

2. Keep trying to reinvent the wheel. I don't seem to like plans.

3. Know how, but don't have the real experience. I fear I've read and learned too much but not done enough. I can look at these projects knowing what to do, but not being setup to do it.

Case in point, a shooting board. Instead of building one and using it, I keep trying various clamping "solutions" that all work about 8% effectively and take 92% longer.

4. Keep buying more tools, books and videos. This is a good/bad habit. In reference to #3, I think I gots too much book learn'n.

So, any tips for me? This has become a real rut and I'm just plane old stuck in it. So stuck I'm not enjoying woodworking.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I get out of whack I do a reset to zero.

Build some really simple projects using just one board. Sawbench, bookshelf, toolbox, etc.

If it takes more than one word to describe or one board to build it is too complex. Rustic is good.

Try to clear your mind and get back to basics.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Ok, its time to confess. I have very/extraordinarily bad work habits. The more I do the worse I seem to get.

I just can't figure a way out of my mindset.

I keep taking simple projects and making them into complex multi-part behemoths.

Here are some of my symptoms:

1. Refuse to waste scrap.
I keep going to my scrap pile to make lots of little parts instead of using a new piece. Case in point, a mantle I'm working on now has 27 parts glued and screwed to create a framework, when I could've done it by making a basic 4 sided box.
Those are for Burr puzzles and jig parts. Separate usable scrap from kindling (<8").

2. Keep trying to reinvent the wheel. I don't seem to like plans.
Once you've made enough goofs, feel free to adapt the plans.

3. Know how, but don't have the real experience. I fear I've read and learned too much but not done enough. I can look at these projects knowing what to do, but not being setup to do it.

Case in point, a shooting board. Instead of building one and using it, I keep trying various clamping "solutions" that all work about 8% effectively and take 92% longer.
If you have to cobble up a jig more than twice....build it.

4. Keep buying more tools, books and videos. This is a good/bad habit. In reference to #3, I think I gots too much book learn'n.
It's easy to become confused when too many choices are known, but not being able to apply any from practical experience!

So, any tips for me? This has become a real rut and I'm just plane old stuck in it. So stuck I'm not enjoying woodworking.
Jim

After all this time, I still have to work through a project in my head. Most things I've done so many times I know exactly how I'm going to do it; even if a better, but never practiced method is known to me. However, I continue to learn new techniques because that's what they make cheap shelving for...
On a complex project, I will make an 'Order of Work' on paper; run the flow through my head and correct the order of work on paper if, or more likely when, I see a step that is out of order. Most of the time, I'll see a process that could be done when the parts are flat. That's always better than doing the same process when the parts are glued up if possible.
Finally, build something that you have a high level of confidence that it will turn out well. For example, a bookcase is a cabinet with no moving parts. It can then have drawers and doors added without prior planning; just make them fit. But make the whole thing fun. That's why we do it. Besides, it will be a goo place to store those tools, books and videos.
Good luck and never hesitate to ask another WWr!

Joe

eyekode

New User
Salem
I suffer from many of the same symptoms. I am afraid there may be no permanent cure. But turning off the monitor and getting into your shop with a plan can help temporarily :).
Salme

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Sounds like me :). I basically dream about and plan out one fairly simple project at a time and try not to get sidetracked. This seems to be taking me 3-9 months from start to finish, but actually completing something even if it is only a couple times a year is a big boost. I take note of things I could actually use or need. Look for some quick wins and try not to tackle something too difficult.

Dragon

New User
David
Ever tried working with logs? Check my gallery and you can see how many different projects I have going at the same time. It's a common affliction I think. We all get stuck or hung up on something we just can't seem to come to terms with and we go off on tangents then looking for solutions and come up with another project to play around with and then see something that needs doing and we head off in that direction and then stop on something else and start up on that.........:tinysmile_tongue_t:
Ya see where I'm going here? Good, 'cuz I ain't got a clue.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I understand your feeling, and I agree with Mike as to putting aside what your doing and build something simple or rustic to get the feeling again.

If that doesn't work for me I usually revert to plan B: A nice cigar and a glass of 18 year old single malt scotch, and some time to ponder.

Good luck Jimbo !

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
By all means go back into the shop and build a simple but useful project. Something that can be built in one session. Even a box or shelf to store you books and video.

BTW I do not habe Jimmy's 18 year old scotch but a Rusty Nail works for me. Google it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
BTW I do not have Jimmy's 18 year old scotch but a Rusty Nail works for me. Google it.
:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Jim.

I too have way too many cutoffs and scraps.

When I find myself in this kind of a rut, I find that I need instant gratification. Something quick, useful and to test a new technique. What I usually end up with is a new jig for some repetitive cuts or router work that I had wished I had when working a prior project. This is when a good collection of small cutoffs (oak, syp, plywood, mdf etc.) really come in handy. ....of course I always find an excuse to run out for a piece of hardware or order some t-track, knobs or something.

When all else fails a good old Rusty Nail is just the ticket!!!!:wsmile:

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Jim, what you wrote is so recognizable. At times, I do think there is too much information available via the forums, magazines, books and TV shows. I think we progress faster in understanding and knowledge but slower in experience. That leads to designs beyond my skill level. For example, we all "know" that nails and screws are just "not done", hand-cut dovetails and bridle joints are the standard. Full extension slides with inset drawers, knive hinges and four-way tapered legs, scrollwork and inlays. I'm still struggle to get a cutting board glued up correctly, so that the pattern isn't crooked. Oh, and while I'm not doing real woodworking, I'm doing shop improvements, which means less woodworking. Or setting up tools. Trying to make a square crosscut sled.

My strategy to get out of this rut is to make stuff from plans. Something beyond a birdhouse, but nothing I can't finish in a couple of weeks. The first woodworking book I got has a ton of easy-to-understand plans, time to go back to that. And after I make the first one, I'll make a second one a few months later, but this time customize it. Because if you just do "one-offs" means you never develop a routine. If you have to cut dovetails for 300 drawers, you stop thinking by the time you get to #30. If you cut dovetails twice a year, it takes all day. Repetition is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, that's what I plan to do.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hang in there Jimbo! I agree that you have to focus on some quick projects to get the juices flowing again. Of course you know, mi casa es su casa. Anytime you need to hang out and get through a tough project, just holler.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Jim,

If you want to recover your joy in woodworking, make some simple toys or puzzles and donate them to Toys for Tots, or drop them off at the local children's hospital. Joy comes from giving.

Woodworking can be result oriented or process oriented.

I personally love the process. When the project is done, I am kind of sad. Although we all love to hear others compliment our work, I don't do it for them.

Others I know are results driven. They just want to be finished so they have something to use or look at or show off.

Which kind of guy are you? If you are the results kind, then do a couple of small projects. If you are a process guy, then go for a larger project...but put the time into the planning so you don't end up more frustrated. And don't try to skimp the lumber. Part of the joy of the process is picking out the perfect board in the perfect wood.

If all else fails, step away for a couple of weeks. Enjoy the season. God still loves you, Jesus died for you, and the rest of us can give comic relief any time you need it.

Brian

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
!!

Jim,

I feel your pain, my friend. I usually don't work from plans as well. But rather than "desing/engineer" from no plans. I just take a image from online and "study" it to death.

Then, try to recreate from that image. Improvising (minimally)based on materials at hand.

The first couple of times I tried to engineer from my own imagination, I realized I did not have a suitable background in mechanical engineering. Hence, frustration set in.

I think, based on the couple of projects you have shown, that your woodworking skills are fine, it's probably your "engineering" skills you may be frustrated with.

What I've learned from duplicating, is that the engineers/designers have already done the work, I just didn't realize what that work was. After making from images, I learned why they did things the way they did.

I was able to compare some of my ad hoc engineered projects to the imaged copies and realize, that my woodworking was more than adequate.

Hopefully I hit a chord somewhere

Good Luck,
Matt

sberube

New User
seb
You say you have a large amount of scrap... maybe its time to use it. What works for me (and my scrap) is to work on techniques and not on projects. Build a jig, test it, make it better, then try using it 20 times over and check how accurately you can reproduce your work. Scraps are very useful for that.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Jim

Jim,

I feel ya on this one. My frustration at the moment is not have the time to do things right so I have to rush to get things done and end up making stupid mistakes. Today I was trying to finish up a train tray (train table w/o legs that will live under my son's bed). I decided to round over the frame so there wouldn't be a hard edge for the kids to bump their various parts on. I was happily going around the inside of the frame and just as I was getting to the corner the bearing on the roundover bit went right down into the pocket hole I used to build the frame and and the bit gouged the inside edge.... Of course I then looked around the frame and saw matching pocket holes in each of the other 3 corners..... I decided not having an edge was more important than it looking pretty (since it was going to live under the bed and only be seen by people under 6) so I did my best to freehand the other corners and smooth out the defects as best I could with some judicious sanding. Had a similar issue last week trying to get 15 bandsaw reindeer out the door in time to give to various teachers, friends, etc.... Looked great coming off the bandsaw but I didn't have the time to do the sanding/finishing job I'd like to do so I'm really hoping the rudolph nose and the bow with the jingle bell will distract everyone from looking too closely at them...

I totally agree with the suggestions above. Reset, do a few low pressure projects that are simple enough that you won't be bored to tears but interesting/useful enough that you'll have fun doing them. For me, now that I'm done with my half A**ed christmas rush (and no, it's not AT ALL depressing to see all the fabulous, amazing, gorgeous Christmas gifts the rest of y'all have been posting in the other threads:BangHead:), I'm going to spend the next few weeks/months working to get the shop cleaned up and orgainzed. I've got storage issues I need to figure out, a dust collecter to put into service, a door to hang (yeah, my shop has no door at the moment). Most importatnly for me, I'm just going to take my time and enjoy what time I can spend in the shop. No deadlines for me, at least for a while.

I don't know if any of that helped you (heh, helped me!) but at least you know you're not alone!!

Merry Christmas

Travis

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
hey Jim,
not much to add from what others have said, but back to basics, do something small, all seems like good ideas. You do so much helping organize our Monday night get togethers, we just have to get you back to getting your hands dirty. My shop is cooler (literally) than Bob's (this time of year) so think of it as a another alternative if you need a change of scenery - your're welcome anytime!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS