Headboard/Footboard Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rascal

New User
Dave
First Time Poster here.
I am a realatively novice WW only started about a year ago doing a variety of projects for the wife then slowly doing projects for myself. Anyways Basically I have been following plans (from books and online) with some very basic modifications to do my projects so far.

Well after my first piece of indoor furniture (a sofa table) met with approval from the better half. She now wants me to make a head board for a queensize bed. (followed by a footboard with chest and seats attached). So now I am at a point were I need to deviate from what plans and books I currently have and design/construct this.

Her requirements (IE nonnegotiable)
1) needs to be painted white (I hope this isnt against the rules on this site)
2) Needs to look like a picket fence

Limitations
I have no lathe ;/ so cylinderical things are out i suppose?

Anyways I had a few questions and would like to ask for some advice if there is any out there.

Q1) So since she just wants it white should I use something like Select Pine from HD or Lowes?

Q2) I have found some Posts (supposed to be used as stair railing posts) but they have the 'cylinderness' to them. Do you think it would be appropratie to use them as the bed posts? (they come in popular or oak again would go with popular since it is cheaper and they come in two sizes so could use big ones for headboard and the smaller as posts for footboard)?

Q3) Anybody with experience making a headboard that has any advice?

Thanks for any input and thanks to those running this site

David L.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Dave, you,my friend have struck it rich. When loml wants something new built, you can legaly buy a new piece if equipment to build it with. It's a state law I think. You could glue up 1X4s to make a 4x4 post since untreated 4X4s are hard to find (at least for me). I would use 1X4s morticed into the posts and 1X3s for the "fence slats" . You could do a tulip head design on top of the slats for decoration. Pine would be ok, but I would use poplar, just my opinion. Good luck.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello Dave and welcome to the site.

If you go into the photo galleries section of this site, I have a couple of pix of a picket fence bed. No pix of the footboard, but it looks the same as headboard, just shorter. I used Poplar and just glued pieces up for posts. That was so I could attach small birdhouses on the posts. Just an idea and maybe the pix will give you inspiration. I had no plans, but this is an easy piece to make (and paint covers lots of mistakes).

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=2116&cat=319

Good luck and post pictures when the project is finished. We like pictures on this website (and the are a good source of inspiration).

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Welcome aboard. I am by NO MEANS anything more than a novice, but I can tell you from personal experience building a bed (boy's bunk twin-over-full) using lumber bought at Lowes, LET IT DRY OUT before you start on the bed. I, too, used plans for this bed and it called for all 2x lumber. I didn't let it dry enough and I had several boards twist on me. Fortunately it wasn't bad and it was in hidden areas, but it was still a pain.

Can't speak for the rest of the board, but painting is just fine by me!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site Dave. If you are going to paint it, consider poplar. Also, depending on the amount you'll need, consider the hardwoodstore of NC. For this project it may not be worth your time and gas to drive there though. There are a number of lumber companies around so as you don't have to resort to HD or Lowes. There is a pretty good list posted here. Just find your area and away you go...

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
One of the greatest mysteries of the universe solved:

E=MC2

Where:
M=Mrs
C=Contentment raised to the second power

and most important...

E=EQUIPMENT !!!!!!!

Welcome to the site,

David

J

jeff...

E=MC2

Where:
M=Mrs

and most important...

E=EQUIPMENT !!!!!!!

Welcome to the site,

David

Dude you nailed it - how true. I've had a saying for a while - happy wife, happy life, but I like yours much better :icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger

E=MC2

Where:
M=Mrs

and most important...

E=EQUIPMENT !!!!!!!

Welcome to the site,

David

:glasses9: A great signature line David!

Love it :mrgreen:
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS