Harpsichord Project Part 9 - Building the Registers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

What's a register? Take a look at this photo.

REGISTER1.JPG

The player presses down on the front end of the key (not shown). The rear end of the key rises. Sitting on the rear end of the key is the jack which, of course, also rises. It’s path is guided by the lower and upper registers The plectrum (plucker) is near the top of the jack and sticks out from it. Eventually, the plectrum contacts the string and plucks it.

Here’s a pretty good photo of the jacks and upper registers.

REGISTER2.jpg

The square holes in the register are just about the same size as the jacks that pass thru them. if the holes are too wide the jacks would be free to flop around in the hole and the plucker may miss the string altogether. If the holes are too narrow, the jack would stick in the register and may not return to rest position after the pluck. The placement of the holes in the register is critical. If the hole is too close to the string the plucker would overlap the string too much and the sound would be quite harsh. If the hole is too far away from the string the plucker may not reach the string at all. Worse yet, if one hole is too close to the string and the next hole is too far away the action would have no consistency and the player would have no control at all.

So the problem is to build 4 registers (2 upper and 2 lower) that have square holes just slightly larger than the dimension of the jack (.157 x .392). In addition, the placement of these holes (52 holes in each register) must all be the same distance from their respective strings AND the bottom of each jack must rest in the center of its key. Actually it’s much simpler than it sounds. We’ll start with the 2 upper registers. Here’s how we’ll do it.

In the old days, we used to take a strip of wood – place it on the rear of the keyboard – and mark the center of each key on the strip. This told us where each hole in the register would have to be in order for the jack to sit centered on its key. Now, we’ll do it another way – we’ll use the computer to tell us where to put the holes in the register. Take a look at the next photo.

REGISTER3.JPG

What you’re seeing is a strip of poplar wide enough for the 52 slots we must cut. Onto the top of the strip I’ve glued a computer CAD printout of the correct spacing for the slots for this instrument. The red circles represent holes which must also be cut into the register (for reasons I’ll explain in a later post). The next photo shows the whole strip sitting on top of the instrument.

REGISTER4.JPG

No, we’re not going to attempt cutting out a square hole in a piece of wood. Instead, we’ll make something that looks like a comb and glue the missing side on later. First, we drill the holes at the drill press. Notice that ½ of each hole will disappear when we cut out the slots, leaving a half hole behind each slot.

REGISTER5.JPG

Here’s what the register looks like after all the holes are drilled.

REGISTER6.JPG

The rest we’ll do on the scroll saw. The table is tilted 10 degrees. All of the slots we will cut will be angled so that the jack will fit (perfectly, I hope) only at the top of the register.
There are two reasons for this but they wouldn’t make any sense right now. We’ll get back to them later. All of the black lines (left side of each slot) are cut.

REGISTER7.JPG

After this is done, the table is tilted 10 degrees in the other direction and all of the blue lines are cut (taking half of a hole with them).

REGISTER8.JPG

Here’s a ¾ view of what we’ve accomplished so far.

REGISTER9.JPG

Now we’ll set the scroll saw table to 0 degrees and nibble away the rest of the material in the slots.

REGISTER10.JPG

The next photo shows our completed ‘comb’.

REGISTER11.JPG

In the next photo I’ve temporarily clamped a strip of wood to the open end of the ‘comb’ and placed a jack in a hole to check the fit. This one is slightly tight. A couple of passes with a small file will make it perfect.

REGISTER12.JPG

The next photo shows the ‘comb’ next to a strip of poplar that we’ll glue to the open side to close it up.

REGISTER13.JPG

The next photo shows the two pieces clamped between two pieces of stock using the same clamping system we used when we built the case Bottom.

REGISTER14.JPG

The lower registers are made in the same way but they’re much easier to build. First of all no hole is necessary. Secondly, the fit need not be as precise – in fact, the jacks should fit with some play in this register. Thirdly (if that’s a word), both bottom registers are made out of one piece so basically we’ll be making a two-sided ‘comb’ and adding the two sides later. Here’s a poplar strip with the paper template glued on top of it.

REGISTER15.JPG

Here’s the lower register with one side already cut.

REGISTER16.JPG

And now, the completed 2-sided ‘comb’.

REGISTER17.JPG

In the next photo the 2 sides are glued to the ‘comb’.

REGISTER18.JPG

The next photo shows the lower registers installed in the harpsichord. If you remember when we built the Upper Belly Rail we cut a dado near its bottom. We also made pinblock support brackets with a rabbet cut into their front edges. Now you can see why. The rear edge of the Lower Register fits into the dado in the Upper Belly rail. Its front edge sits in the rabbet in the pinblock support brackets. Not shown is a small screw driven into the rabbet in the right pinblock support bracket. A slot has been cut into the right front edge of the Lower Register. This allows us to move the Lower Register from left to right to align it perfectly with the Upper Registers. When its position is correct, the screw is tightened to keep the Lower Register from moving.

REGISTER19.JPG

The next photo shows the two Upper Registers installed in their positions in the gap. I put a jack into the rear register just to show how it sits in the register.

REGISTER20.JPG

Remember back when we built the case sides we cut a small window into the spine side of the instrument. The last photo shows the purpose of this window. Once the strings are installed it is impossible to get either of the Upper Registers out of the instrument. In case a repair has to be made to either Upper Register, they can be slid out of the instrument through this escape window without having to remove the strings.

REGISTER21.JPG

And there you have it. Next time we'll build the stand.

Ernie

Part 1 - The Keyboard Part 2 -Keyboard con't. Part 3 - Keyboard con't. Part 4 - The Case (Bentside) Part 5 - Case Bottom Part 6 - Case Sides Part 7 - The Lower Braces Part 8 - Case Finished Part 9 - Building the Registers Part 10 - The Stand Part 11 - Jackrail & Moldings
Part 12 - The Music Desk
Part 13 - Building the Bench

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Wow....to think setting one mortise and tenon joint gives me a hard time!

That is awesome work!!

J

jeff...

Hi all,

The registers are among the most critical components in the instrument. If the registers are not made accurately the harpsichord WILL NOT work. Having prepared you for what comes next it might be a good idea to briefly explain what a register is. Take a look at this photo which shows a demonstration model I cobbled together a few years ago.

REGISTER1.JPG

Here’s how a harpsichord works (kind of). The player presses down on the front end of the key (not shown). The rear end of the key rises. Sitting on the rear end of the key is the jack which, of course, also rises. It’s path is guided by the lower and upper registers The plectrum (plucker) is near the top of the jack and sticks out from it. Eventually, the plectrum contacts the string and plucks it.

Here’s a pretty good photo of the jacks and upper registers.

REGISTER2.jpg

Till next time,
Ernie

So the Jack is also the same piece of wood as the plucker? It's just the little notch on top of the jack that does the plucking?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
So the Jack is also the same piece of wood as the plucker? It's just the little notch on top of the jack that does the plucking?

Jeff,

Not quite. The picture isn't clear enough. Maybe these will help.
In this photo the plectrum (plucker) is circled in red.

JACKPLUCKING.jpg

The Jack is actually made out of 3 parts - the Jack Body, the Tongue, and the Plectra (the part that actually does the plucking). The Plectra is inserted into a small slit in the tongue. Then the Tongue is snapped into the large rectangular hole in the Jack Body.

JACKPHOTO.jpg

Hope these pix make it clearer.
Ernie

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Very interesting-keep it coming!

:BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

T

toolferone

So it looks like the old style jack is made of wood and the new one is plastic?

And yes you still have my attention. I understood everything you were saying. That doesn't mean want to go rush out and build one though.

Thanks and please keep it up.

T

toolferone

And yes you still have my attention. I understood everything you were saying. That doesn't mean want to go rush out and build one though :gar-Bi.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

And yes you still have my attention. I understood everything you were saying. That doesn't mean want to go rush out and build one though.

Tom,

That's right. However, many builders prefer wooden jacks to plastic ones. My mentor has switched from plastic to wood. His reason, however, was financial. Plastic jacks are quite expensive and it's far less costly to make your own. Wooden jacks are available commercially but they're way more expensive than plastic because they're hand made. I've made my own wooden ones but a large harpsichord will have 183 of them ... my patience runs out after 50. Another reason I prefer plastic is the absolute consistency of the jack's dimensions. My CAD templates would be useless if the jacks weren't consistently sized.

Thanks for your interest.... I'll certainly keep it up.

Ernie

russellellis

New User
Russell
Ernie, I know this is a single, but on a double manual would there be two sets of upper and lower registers?
Also, if the tongue and plectra needed to be removed, does the entire jack need to come out or does that 10º angle on the underside and the half circle on the top of the upper register allow the tongue enough room to lean and slip out? or is that 10º angle only enough to allow the plectra to move away from the string as the jack is coming back down.
Is there any adjustment in the jack or tongue and plectra to fine tune the timing of when the string is plucked. ie, string is plucked as the key bottoms out or somewhere else during the key dip?
and finally, does the damper slip into that clip on the jack or is there a damper rail system used? if it does slip into that clip, is there a way to have and open sustain on this harpsichord?

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Amazing work. I find this very interesting especially seeing how the strings are plucked. I had wondered about that. Please keep the pictures and explanations coming.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Rusell,

Thanks for these great questions – let’s take them in order.

“Ernie, I know this is a single, but on a double manual would there be two sets of upper and lower registers?”

Actually, the number of registers is determined by how many sets of strings the harpsichord has, not the number of keyboards. The instrument we’re building now has two sets of strings so it needs 2 upper and 2 lower registers. Most double manual instruments have three sets of strings so they need 3 of each register. Some single manual instruments also have three sets of strings so they would need three upper and three lower registers also.

“Also, if the tongue and plectra needed to be removed, does the entire jack need to come out or does that 10º angle on the underside and the half circle on the top of the upper register allow the tongue enough room to lean and slip out? or is that 10º angle only enough to allow the plectra to move away from the string as the jack is coming back down.”

The entire jack is removed which is very simple to do – you just lift it out. The 10 degree angle is there to allow a single register to be turned off by moving it slightly in the direction that would cause the plectra of that register to miss their strings. Since the position of the bottom register is fixed, only the top register moves. That causes the jacks (in their off position) to be tilted slightly from dead vertical. The 10 degree angle allow the jacks to move freely up and down even when they aren't vertical.

As for the half circle: After the plectra has plucked its string it begins to come back down to its rest position. As the jack comes down, the plectra will hit the string again. As it makes contact with the string, the tongue swivels backwards which causes the plectrum to lose contact with the string and allow the jack to finish its return to rest position. The following photo shows this swivel of the tongue. The half-hole gives the tongue room to swivel backwards.

jackswivel.JPG

“Is there any adjustment in the jack or tongue and plectra to fine tune the timing of when the string is plucked. ie, string is plucked as the key bottoms out or somewhere else during the key dip?”

It depends on the type of jack being used. My jacks have a small adjusting screw which bears against the slanted top of the tongue. Turning the screw clockwise causes the tongue (and therefore, the plectrum) to move further away from the string. Turning it counter-clockwise does the opposite. If you turn the screw to make the plectrum lie further from the string the plectrum will play the string sooner because less of it is overlapping the string. Of course, if this is overdone the plectrum will miss the string altogether and no plucking will occur. Normally this adjustment is used by the builder when the action is regulated for the first time – it normally doesn’t need adjustment after that. The timing (or what we call stagger) is better controlled by changing the length of the jack. I add an adjustment screw to the bottom of each jack for this purpose. When you turn the screw in, the jack becomes “shorter”. The shorter the jack the later that jack will pluck the string. This is necessary because if two (or sometimes three) strings are plucked at exactly the same time, the touch of the key will be very heavy. Instead, the plucking of the plectra in the different registers is staggered. Some of this stagger occurs naturally and some is controlled by changing the length of the jack.

“and finally, does the damper slip into that clip on the jack or is there a damper rail system used? if it does slip into that clip, is there a way to have and open sustain on this harpsichord?”

Yes, the damper cloth slips into the slot on the top of the jack. There is no way to create a sustain like you can when you depress the right pedal on a piano. When your finger lets go of the key, the damper silences the string instantly.

Thanks for these excellent questions. Believe me, it’s much easier to demonstrate these answers on an instrument than it is to describe in words. I hope my answers were clear enough to help your understanding of how the registers work.

Keep ‘em coming.

Ernie

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now, we’ll do it another way – please don’t tell any harpsichord purists you may run into in the supermarket.
Thanks, I was worried about that! :rolf:

First, we drill the holes at the drill press.
Do you use a jig for this, to keep the spacing consistent, or just aim and fire?

russellellis

New User
Russell
Ernie, thanks for the perfect explanations. Sorry if they were trivial but i just couldnt find decent pics to see how the multi-manuals were laid out. so i wasnt sure how registers fit into these set ups. As far as the actual plectra, what material are you using? it looks to be metal, but could be hide, i cant tell. can or are they ever changed out to give the instrument a different sound? Also, other than history of the instrument, why do you think none of them have ever had controllable sustain?
Like i said before, you could write a book.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks, I was worried about that! :rolf:

Do you use a jig for this, to keep the spacing consistent, or just aim and fire?

Bas,

No, it's not necessary to be that precise in drilling the holes. On the paper CAD template I have the holes drawn full size. It makes it pretty easy to eyeball the drill into its proper place. However, the front to back placement is critical. If you look at the picture, after the hole is drilled a small shoulder of the original line is left on top and below the hole. Those little shoulders are critical. If the hole is drilled off center in the up/down direction, one of those shoulders may disappear and that edge of the jack, having no support, could flop into the hole. No Good. I do clamp a straightedge to the drill press table to make certain that the holes are centered in the up/down direction.

Ernie

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie, thanks for the perfect explanations. Sorry if they were trivial but i just couldnt find decent pics to see how the multi-manuals were laid out. so i wasnt sure how registers fit into these set ups. As far as the actual plectra, what material are you using? it looks to be metal, but could be hide, i cant tell. can or are they ever changed out to give the instrument a different sound? Also, other than history of the instrument, why do you think none of them have ever had controllable sustain?
Like i said before, you could write a book.

Rusell,

Your questions weren't trivial at all - they were terrific. As to the plectra they are made of delrin. Originally the plectra were made from crow's quill and many think the sound of crow's quill is superior. Delrin came on the harpsichord scene in the 1950's (I think, it may have been 1960's) as a more durable substitute as crow's quill were brittle and had a limited life span. In other building traditions, leather was used as a plectrum material. Plectrum materials can be switched and that would have a big effect on the sound (especially leather vs. quill or delrin) but it's a big job that sometimes requires new jacks.

Harpsichords never had a controllable sustain because the music written in the Harpsichord era didn't require it. However, that doesn't mean that there is no sustain in harpsichord music. If you're interested go to
http://www.sankey.ws/sustain.html to hear a great example of sustain in harpsichord music.

Keep 'em coming.
Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors