Harpsichord Project - Final Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Well here we are at the end of this series on harpsichord building. We started on October 24th of last year and now, April 2, 2009, 29 posts and 451 photos later, the project is finished. A new found friend, Neal Carey, who has been following this series from Boston, has compiled the posts into book form. Neal builds some really beautiful ukuleles and other stringed instruments which can be seen on his web site. At last count his compilation was 311 pages long with 2 posts to go.

I must admit I had no idea what I was getting into when I agreed to post this series. Describing procedures that you’ve done for years without thinking too much about the process proved to be quite challenging. On the other hand, this has been a wonderful learning experience. Sometimes we do things almost by rote – without thinking of why we do these things the way we do. Having to describe these procedures in writing forced me to rethink, and, in some cases, change the way certain things are done.

The most important part of building an instrument is the one thing we haven’t talked about at all. How does it sound? This is a very subjective question whose answer depends on many factors. How does it sound compared to what? Comparing the sound to other harpsichords might be valid, but only if you’ve actually heard other harpsichords. Does harpsichord music turn you on or make you feel like banging your head against the wall? (Hey! Hey! – don’t answer that!) Thanks to Steve and Jim, it’s now possible to upload sound files to NCWW so I will. On June 7, John O’Brian, Professor of Keyboards at East Carolina University, will be giving a solo concert on this instrument. For a builder, this is as good as it gets. In my past life as a piano technician, I have tuned for concerts by many “name” performers. As exciting as it was to prepare pianos for these artists, it pales in comparison to the thrill of hearing my own instrument played by a world class player.
My next door neighbor is a recording engineer and will record this concert with some really amazing equipment. I’ll upload the sound file so you can hear it for yourself (wall not included).

Lastly, and on a personal note. It’s hard to believe that I’ve only been a member of NCWW for nine months. This site has become a daily ritual for me – one I look forward to. To all the too kind people who responded to my endless posts, thank you. To DaveO who ‘unstuck’ so many of these posts until we found a better way to link to them – thank you. And most of all, to all of you who made me feel so welcomed here from day one – thank you. It will probably be a while before I can do some work without reaching for my camera after every cut. I’m looking forward to sitting back and reading some other How-To’s by some of the talented folks on this site. Keep ‘em coming.

Till?
Ernie

Here’s some final photos of the finished instrument.

end-1.JPG

end-2.JPG

end-3.JPG

end-4.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ernie, it has been an ABSOLUTE PLEASURE following you on this journey. I am singularly impressed by the diversity of your craftsmanship, as well as sticking with it when it came to writing these articles. A lot of time and effort goes into taking the pictures, processing them, putting together the post.

I can't wait to hear how it sounds!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a tear in my eye. What a great closure to what is the ultimate build saga I have ever witnessed. I can't wait to hear it played. Thank-you Ernie for taking the countless hours to post this saga. I didn't even know what a harpiscord was until you started posting about it. Now I know what one is and hope one day that I will have the talent to build something as fine.
The woodworking community is much better from your contributions.

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ernie,

The works of art that you produce define the meaning of "fine craftsmanship." Your knowledge and attention to detail are second to none. It is especially impressive that your projects take place over such a long period of time. Most of us make a table or turn a bowl over a period of hours or weeks. Throughout the entire process we are paying attention to detail, rethinking the design, hitting snags, yelling at the top of our lungs. But the end result just gives you that feeling of satisfaction that nothing else can do. Although most of our projects are far less complicated or time consuming, I think we still share that same sense of pride and accomplishment when we see the finished product.

Thank you so much for taking the time to document this process. Your work is incredible and it is an honor to be in your company.

Cheers,

Trent

Can't wait to hear it! :icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great way to "almost" close the project! I have really enjoyed following along and I can't wait to hear the instrument! (no it won't be the first harpsicord I've heard!) You have been a true benefit to the NCWW group and I'm really glad you found us, joined up, and put up with our craziness!!!:gar-La;

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Bravo!!! Encore! Encore! Simply too magnificent to put into words. :icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Matt

bitbight

New User
Ray
Excellent tutorial Ernie,

I have to thank you so much for the time and effort you put into this write-up. It was a pleasure to follow along with you as you made this beautiful instrument. I doubt I will ever have the talent to approach such an endeavor, but watching your posts made it feel as if I was part of your build. I will miss looking forward to the next installment, but am looking forward to hearing the music it will produce.

Thanks,

Ray

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Ernie,
You are the one to be thanked. Your postings have been a wonderful read and by doing the series it has helped future woodworkers ( and maybe future harpsichord builders) by keeping an old trade alive. Too many things get lost over time, and this skill is now chronicled for posterity, and hopefully will be enjoyed by many for generations to come.

Once again, thank you.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ernie, following your posts all these months made it feel like I was in the shop watching and helping. The pleasure is all mine. THANK YOU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS