Happy birthday to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk

New User
Kirk
Hi Everyone,

I recently registered, and thought I would say hello. And, well, its my birthday!

I live in Cary, and work in RTP. I'm married with 2 kids.

I have not completed anything significant yet, but have an interest in arts and crafts style furniture and usable/functional items (i.e. cabinets & bookcases). I have been doing mostly home improvement stuff lately.

I am just getting started, so I don't yet have a full compliment of tools, but I do have the basics (table saw, router, circular saw, hand drill). For my birthday, I bought myself a dado blade. I think my next big purchases will be a planer and then a jointer, but I would like to learn more before I make those purchases. I am also interested in eventually getting a band saw and building a router table.

I have lurked here for a while, but also hang out at BT3Central and occasionally Lumberjocks.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here!

Kirk

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome aboard and happy birthday. Feel free to jump in at any time.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Kirk, and Happy Birthday :eek:ccasion1 You sound just like almost everyone of us at some time...I didn't have many tools until I made them or bought them, either. You can learn a lot from folks here and everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand. So jump in with both feet, the water is fine.
I look forward to your input in the forums, and hopefully seeing some pictures of your work when you get some.

See you around!!!

Dave:)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings! Glad so welcome you on such an asupicious day! Happy Birthday too!

Sounds like you are well on your way to a case of WGD (Wood Guy Disease), rest assured you will be able to find and solicite tool opinions on the site.

To quote your namesake/avatar a bit of woodworking wisdom: "Your duty, does not include stepping into a disintegration machine."

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome...
Kirk..
to..
NORTH CAROLINA...Woodworker

It will be...
GREAT...
to..
see some of
your
WORK!

SCOTT! Analysis! What should he...
buy...
first?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I am also interested in eventually getting a band saw and building a router table.

Build that router table first! Doesn't have to be fancy to do a good job, mine is pretty simple and was assembled in an afternoon. Check out Carol Reeds book Router Joinery Workshop for some great examples of being very productive with a router and shop-made jigs. I've determined that I'm not using my router anywhere near it's potential.

Just my 2c
Chris

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the virtual sawdust pile, Kirk and Happy Birthday, too! Glad you joined us...

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Kirk. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Like Dave said, almost all of us started off with barely anything. When I first started, all I had was a circular saw, jig saw and a drill and I was making adirondack chairs with just those. I always reccomend getting what you need on a project-by-project basis. No need to go blow $5000 on a bunch of tools that will just sit in the boxes until you get around to using them. If you get what you need when you need it, you'll be a lot more motivated to figure each tool out individually and will have a greater understanding and appreciation for them. :icon_thum

Kirk

New User
Kirk
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

And thanks Chris for the link to your simple router table:

Build that router table first! Doesn't have to be fancy to do a good job, mine is pretty simple and was assembled in an afternoon.

That looks pretty easy to put together for a beginner. I checked Carol Reed's book out from the library a few weeks ago. It is a great book.

Thanks!

kirk

Kirk

New User
Kirk
Hi Joe,

RTP is Research Triangle Park. It is the area between Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill where thousands of people work for tech companies (computer, biotech, etc.). It is North Carolina's version of Silicon Valley.

kirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors