Handcut dovetail workshop - December 3 and January 21 - Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Re: Handcut dovetail workshop - December 3 - Raleigh

Phil, May I suggest a date for the January class? With my work schedule I only have 1 Saturday free a month that I could attend a workshop. The other Saturday I'm off I'm getting off night shift that morning. Anyway, the only day I can attend would be January 21st. Let me know if this day could work, if not, I'll have to wait until another time.
Thanks

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I must have missed the process for donating the $30. Is there a thread for that or is it the normal channel for donations. Who keeps up with what it's for?

The easiest and most convenient way to make the suggested donation for the workshop is to click the Donate Button at the top left of about any page on the website. $30 is not one of the suggested donation amounts so you'll need to select a custom one time payment. It'll then ask for the amount.

Thank you for your support.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User

Can I be added to the January class if there is space still available?

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

Put me down for January Phl...maybe I will be caught up by then

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member

Now have a commitment for Dec 3rd so take me off the waiting list for that class. For January, 21st is a big birthday for the wife so no go for that (if you are taking preferences for dates).

- Other Phil

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Handcut dovetail workshop - December 5 - Raleigh

This thread is being reopened to keep all involved informed

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

Waiting with baited breath. Tools purchased. (Hopefully Highland Woodworking will get them here in time.)

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member

Has a January session been scheduled?

- Phil

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Waiting with baited breath. Tools purchased. (Hopefully Highland Woodworking will get them here in time.)

To Mike and others on their way to the Dec class, I have a few recommendations to make it more fun and successful while working with me and my "pins first" portion of the day.

1. Sharpen your chisels

2. You can bring along your big chisels but you really need the smaller ones for the hand work.

3. Bring along your marking gauge to scribe you lines.

4. Don't forget your favorite mallet. Most folks like to use the mallet that feels good to them and that's a wide range in most classes I have done.

5. If you don't have a dovetail marking gauge, don't worry too much as Phil and I can help there. Phil has some special tools that he will demonstrate as part of his "tails first" demo.

6. Don't forget your saw/saws. In this session, it turns out that I and Phil use the Japanese style saws. They cut on the pull and this makes some folks uncomfortable. If you are happy with your Western push saw, stay with it and bring it along. This will not be a class to debate push or pull.

7. If you are at the point where you need reading glasses to read your watch, don't forget to bring those. I need em'

I will have some smaller boards/pieces of wood to work with on Saturday. If you would like to use up some of your small pieces you have laying around the shop, it's nice to have cleanly planed wood the same thickness when you first get started. There are lots of comments out there about joining soft woods and hard woods. That's good. Most of the drawers you build will have a hardwood face and soft wood sides, back and bottom. Lots of adjustments along the way and practicing with different woods is a good idea.

Hardwood/veneered face with soft pine as the secondary wood. Thumbnail edge that overlaps the opening

29may2016_170.JPG

This
is known as a Cockbeaded drawer front. Found on most veneered drawer fronts as folks didn't always like the thumbnail edge like above.

29may2016_169.JPG

The
back of the drawer has a little extra on the sides. This allowed the joiner to adjust the position of the drawer face when doing cockbeads. Shaving a little off the extended sides was commonly practiced to get a good "in plane" front on a piece.

29may2016_155.JPG

29may2016_152.JPG

large
dovetailing to build the back legs of a large case.

Prospect_door_0251.jpg

20_Mar_2016_Lin_Press_006.JPG

My recommendation would be to dimension scrap stock down to 1/2 thick x 4"w x 12" long to get started. By going 12 to 18" long, you can chop off an inch if it doesn't work and begin again. A big part of this session will be hands-on instruction and help.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member

Please wait list me for Jan 21.

Matt

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

Please remember that this is a beginner's class.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Please remember that this is a beginner's class.

It will be a beginner class. Dovetails are not hard to do after you practice, practice and practice. So we will show you the method and then watch you try it and help/assist you as required. I have a fairly large stack of 1/2" thick cherry, poplar and mahogany - hopefully you folks will burn thru this entire stack.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Let me elaborate - Each class will have six students and at least two instructors.

I just happen to have six vises, six saws, more than enough chisels and mallets, two Knew fret saws and a couple of coping saws and a bunch of wood - If you have your own tools and wood, go ahead and bring them.

What all that means is each student will spend the large majority of the day making dovetail joints over and over and over again.

At some point lunch will be served - probably non-tomato based chili served in fresh baked sour dough bowls.

Should be good day

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member

Damm! Out of town on Dec 3rd; January 21st is a zero birthday for the spouse? Think she will be understanding?

- Phil

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Damm! Out of town on Dec 3rd; January 21st is a zero birthday for the spouse? Think she will be understanding?

- Phil
Certainly when you tell her you are gaining the skills to make her nice things. Besides you can be home in plenty of time to take her out for a nice evening or tell her I am going to feed you enough for lunch so she does not have to make you a dinner on her birthday. good luck

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member

Certainly when you tell her you are gaining the skills to make her nice things. . . .

Unfortunately, she is still waiting for the finishing of some other "nice things" I have been working on.

- Phil

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member

Another class will be held January 21
These folks have requested a spot
Sam Knight
Raymond
Randy J
Rick (Ralrick)
NOTW
Dirk (golfdad)
There is a max of six students per class

I teach a method using a magnetic guide from David Barron and a Japanese saw, specifically a Gyokucho #372 rip saw - almost any pull saw will work but the #372 is so much better.

I have enough of the saws to go around but I only have two of the magnetic guides - so picked up some 12/4 ash, some rare earth magnets and low friction tape. Everybody will get a 1:6 guide to take home

I have to withdraw from the 21 January class due to a scheduling conflict. Hopefully, there will be another sometime in 2017 or 2018.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

Where does one sign up for just the chili......lol

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Where does one sign up for just the chili......lol

You know the way - lunch is at noon. I seriously have plenty. On the other hand, I just have enough cheesecake, it seems my nursing staff
thought I bought it for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors