Handcut dovetail workshop - December 3 and January 21 - Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will be hosting a class on how to create great fitting dovetail joints without a router.

Unless I am making twenty kitchen drawers, I always make my dovetail joints with a handsaw and chisel - and probably faster than fiddling with my router and jig.

Dan (Danmart77) will be teaching his pins first technique and I will be teaching tails first with a David Barron magnetic guide. All students will get to learn both and also get lots of practice. Both of us use Japanese saws.

Since this class is demo, help, practice, practice and more practice, we are holding this class to six students max. If more signup we can hold another class.

I use a David Barron guide and Gyokucho #372 rip cut dozuki saw. I have two sets for student use or you can bring yours. I also have the Veritas guide and saw, some like it better. We will also be using a marking gauge, coping saw and bevel edge chisels - I should have enough for everybody to use, but bring yours if you want.
Note: Sharp chisels are a must - mine already are, make sure yours are too.

Dan's requirements may vary - he will add his info

I will provide lunch and mid-afternoon snacks plus plenty of wood to practice on

Cost of the class is a $30 donation to NCWW

I already have heard from Mike, Michael, Jeremy and Ed - as soon as they make a donation they will be confirmed

So we have two openings ... don't wait too long BOTH CLASSES ARE NOW FULL

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Handcut dovetail workshop - December 5 - Raleigh

If the next class is scheduled for the middle or the end of the month - then I will definitely sign up. I am too busy at work during the first 10 days of each month to schedule anything even on the weekends.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

My son is the fifth one.

wbwufpack

New User
Brian

I am interested in the workshop if there is still a spot available. Can you confirm that the date is Monday December 5th? I thought I saw Saturday December 3rd in the other thread. I am interested either way, I just want to make sure I block out the right day.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

The dovetail workshop is Saturday, December 3. The chair workshop is Saturday, November 5. I think.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I edited the title which changes the original post, but doesn't change the other historical posts. Hope Phil doesn't mind. And I hope I got it right December 3rd.

wbwufpack

New User
Brian

I edited the title which changes the original post, but doesn't change the other historical posts. Hope Phil doesn't mind. And I hope I got it right December 3rd.

Awesome. Please count me in if there is still a spot. I will make a donation as soon as I hear there is still room.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Re: Handcut dovetail workshop - December 3 - Raleigh

I would also be interested in attending this workshop. Sounds like it's already full. If another is scheduled, please include my name. Thanks

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Awesome. Please count me in if there is still a spot. I will make a donation as soon as I hear there is still room.
Yes We have room for you and Dec 3 is the right day

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Thanks it seems I was all backasswards this last weekend.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

I would also be interested in attending this workshop. Sounds like it's already full. If another is scheduled, please include my name. Thanks

We can hold another in January

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member

I would be interested in a class in January if it is held on my day off. I work a 12 hour shift schedule which could be a hit or miss with the dates posted. I'm working Dec 3 or I'd have signed up for that one. Thanks.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Check with Phil
This is not a "oh I'm coming" thing. The first 6 donations are in. I would encourage others to send in a deposit for the wait list if you really like the Dec 3 date. Seems like someone always has a surprise cancel.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Its on Saturday Ken 3 Dec. You're right.

Dan

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member

Phil-

Please put me on the waiting list for the Dec 3rd dovetail workshop.

thanks.

- other, less famous Raleigh Phil

Ralrick

New User
Rick

I'd like to be on the waiting list - my $30 is already in from a previous double payment

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member

I must have missed the process for donating the $30. Is there a thread for that or is it the normal channel for donations. Who keeps up with what it's for?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

I must have missed the process for donating the $30. Is there a thread for that or is it the normal channel for donations. Who keeps up with what it's for?

Just contact Phil Soper via pm

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Update on Dec 3 class 9:00am - 4:00
The following are signed up:
Mike (Patlaw)
Mike's son
Michael Mathew
Jeremy
Ed (Ednl)
Brian (wbwufpack)

Phil (PhilCK) is on wait list

Another class will be held January 21
These folks have requested a spot
Sam Knight
Raymond
Randy J
Rick (Ralrick)
NOTW
Dirk (golfdad)
There is a max of six students per class

I teach a method using a magnetic guide from David Barron and a Japanese saw, specifically a Gyokucho #372 rip saw - almost any pull saw will work but the #372 is so much better.

I have enough of the saws to go around but I only have two of the magnetic guides - so picked up some 12/4 ash, some rare earth magnets and low friction tape. Everybody will get a 1:6 guide to take home

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors