Hand Plane that uses a standard razor blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
At this past weekend's Tampa Woodworking Shows I picked up this French-made :rolleyes: hand plane that uses standard single- or double-sided razor blades. While it's no Lie Nielsen, it is very slick and affordable. I was so impressed with the demo's and can see how I could use it in my shop, I had to pick one up. I also see it as a hand plane my kids could one day use and I won't pass out when they drop it (and I won't be stuck sharpening it).

The guy doing the demo was the inventor and his wife was behind the register ... and both VERY French (had to pay close attention to the demo to understand). They were very nice people and I really appreciated their products.

Here's a link to their website ... but good luck, the translation to English is ROUGH!
http://www.rabotkid.com/en/index.html

After I use it a bit more, I'll let you know how it holds up. I also got a three-set of shoulder planes (no picture though). So I'll review those too.

Photo_Mar_17_5_46_48_PM.jpg

View image in gallery
Photo_Mar_17_5_47_07_PM.jpg

View image in gallery

wayne

New User
wayne
At this past weekend's Tampa Woodworking Shows I picked up this French-made :rolleyes: hand plane that uses standard single- or double-sided razor blades. While it's no Lie Nielsen, it is very slick and affordable. I was so impressed with the demo's and can see how I could use it in my shop, I had to pick one up. I also see it as a hand plane my kids could one day use and I won't pass out when they drop it (and I won't be stuck sharpening it).

The guy doing the demo was the inventor and his wife was behind the register ... and both VERY French (had to pay close attention to the demo to understand). They were very nice people and I really appreciated their products.

Here's a link to their website ... but good luck, the translation to English is ROUGH!
http://www.rabotkid.com/en/index.html

After I use it a bit more, I'll let you know how it holds up. I also got a three-set of shoulder planes (no picture though). So I'll review those too.

Jeremy

I use razor blades on a regular basis scraping paint and as brittle and easy as they are to brake it would be a good idea for the user and and anyone close to be sure and wear safety glasses when using that unit.

Wayne

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy

I use razor blades on a regular basis scraping paint and as brittle and easy as they are to brake it would be a good idea for the user and and anyone close to be sure and wear safety glasses when using that unit.

Wayne

Good point, though I always make glasses a requirement in the shop ... so hopefully we can avoid that ugliness.

The razor is well supported in this plane, just like a traditional plane in many ways, so only the blade is exposed. I think having all of that side support will help lessen the chance of it snapping.

CLetts

New User
Carl
just an FYI.... I went to the listed link and all the models have a "not available USA" tag

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not so sure about that ... I never left the country ;)

I thought Florida WAS another country...:gar-La;

Judging from the box it appears it can be used with utility knife blades, carpet knife blades, and segmented snap off blades as well as razor blades. Definitely a novel and interesting idea worth looking into.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I bought one at last year's Atlanta wood show and have used it a little for shaving down end-grain. This past year the few things I've built were small concession pieces so I haven't been able to put it through its paces. This will be the first year I don't go to the Atlanta show in approximately 10 years. Too much temptation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS