Grizzly table saw has rust on table?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbohno

New User
Rich
I removed cosmolite and have been 1023 saw sparingly each afternoon building a router table. I slid the fence over to make a cut today and overnight several spots of rust and discoloration have appeared on the table. I will be the first to admit after cleaning the saw three or four weeks ago I have not applied anything special to it or my planer but sure didn't expect rust to appear out of the blue overnight.Is there anything I am supposed to be applying to the surface and if so what would cause rust spots over night that steel wool wont remove?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have had occasional rust spots appear due to sweat (it can cause rust to appear overnight), now that my shop has AC, the issue is much less problematic. That said, I still apply paste wax periodically to susceptible surfaces.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Rust happens with when temperature and humidity changes significantly. When your saw is cold, and the air around it is warmer and moist, it causes condensation. The table will change temperature much slower than the air, so this is to be expected (especially in the spring). I use Boeshield T9 to protect my surfaces and I have not had any rusting unless water was directly collecting on the surface (had a roof leak). I don't heat or cool my building (but it is naturally fairly stable compared to a drafty barn b/c it is built into a hill) and I also live within a mile of salt-water with a regular coastal breeze. I use Boeshield Rust Free to clean rust. It is a diluted acid which is good removal of rust.

Rbohno

New User
Rich
Rust happens with when temperature and humidity changes significantly. When your saw is cold, and the air around it is warmer and moist, it causes condensation. The table will change temperature much slower than the air, so this is to be expected (especially in the spring). I use Boeshield T9 to protect my surfaces and I have not had any rusting unless water was directly collecting on the surface (had a roof leak). I don't heat or cool my building (but it is naturally fairly stable compared to a drafty barn b/c it is built into a hill) and I also live within a mile of salt-water with a regular coastal breeze. I use Boeshield Rust Free to clean rust. It is a diluted acid which is good removal of rust.

Thanks for the advice, where can i purchase these chemicals?

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
I annually scrub the top with some kerosene, which has some oil in it, with a scrub pad. Others like using WD40. Then a coat of spray Boeshield and buff, which gets into all of the crevices. Finally a couple of coats of paste wax and buff. Redo the paste wax once a month. Seems to work. Summer sweat drips are a killer though, and I wipe those up quickly and rewax almost every day.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I purchased rust eraser pads from Klingspors last week. I like them a lot. I even cleaned up the rust on the grill!

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Woodcraft, Klingsplor, Rockler and a lot of other places. Google (or search engine of your choice) generally yields best results and best prices.

Thanks for the advice, where can i purchase these chemicals?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Gulfwax paraffin and mineral spirits are the primary ingredients in some of the commercial rust preventers. Half a block of paraffin in 8oz of MS in a spray bottle keeps my cast iron rust free for pennies. Spray on a generous amount, allow it to dry and buff with an old towel. Gulfwax is in most grocery stores with the canning supplies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Gulfwax paraffin and mineral spirits are the primary ingredients in some of the commercial rust preventers. Half a block of paraffin in 8oz of MS in a spray bottle keeps my cast iron rust free for pennies. Spray on a generous amount, allow it to dry and buff with an old towel. Gulfwax is in most grocery stores with the canning supplies.

That's interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Just looked online and Walmart has it for $3.12. Thanks.

Red

FlyingRon

Ron
I use lots of Mr. Johnson's fine paste wax. Boeshield is nominally an aviation product, but you find it in lots of places. Woodcraft has it and so does West Marine and even Sears.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Anyone ever think this before hitting the table saw rust? "I've used vinegar to clean rusty ole planes. I wonder if vinegar will take the rust off my table saw top?"

If so, you will be pleased to know that I have discovered the answer.

1) White vinegar WILL attack the rust.
2) White vinegar will also discolor your table table yellow and the final result following application of mineral spirits to clean everything off will be an odd looking top with spots and a strange cast akin to bluing of steel.

Scotchbrite pad and mineral spirits is far better approach. Had to go at it for some time this weekend to get the weird looking vinegar effect toned down some.

MagGeorge

New User
George
I have used an orbital sander and 80 grit paper to remove the thick rust. It has been removed, but not completely
yet so I have to finish it with 120 . I had to be careful with the sander just to make sure I won't damage the steel.
For some final touch , I used 220 dry sand paper, sprayed WD40 then for last thing I've done , put some coast of
paste wax on it.

FlyingRon

Ron
Be very careful what sandpaper you use on a metal table. Many of them leave dust in the pores that can induce more corrosion. I always use scotchbrite as a first attempt.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

I'm in the process of doing this now and have a question. The box of gulf wax has 4 blocks in it. Are we talking just half of one of these blocks or is it half of the box? Thanks.

Red

Rick M

New User
Rick
I'm in the process of doing this now and have a question. The box of gulf wax has 4 blocks in it. Are we talking just half of one of these blocks or is it half of the box? Thanks.

Red

If you can even dissolve half a box in 8oz you'd never be able to spray it. :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

thesource

New User
Rick
Rich,
We use Bostik GlideCote. It's a spray on wipe off application.
Easy to use and it works great.
It won't affect the finishing process. Wax can.

pviser

New User
paul
I am a fan of Bar Keepers Friend, available at the grocery store or Lowe"s for about $2.00 per 21 oz. It contains oxalic acid which reacts chemically with the rust. It also has a mild abrasive and a cleansing agent. Then follow up with any of a variety of treatments already mentioned above.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

Red
Half of one block is what I use. Keep it in a heated environment if your shop gets cold as it will harden below ~55f.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Half of one block is what I use. Keep it in a heated environment if your shop gets cold as it will harden below ~55f.

That probably explains why it has soaked over night in my shop and nothing has changed. I will move it into the sun to at least get the wax to melt. I guess sometimes it's all in the details. Thanks.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS