grizzly 15" planer upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
If anyone is or is planning to upgrade G0453 15" grizzly planer to a shelix head pm me. I have the three bearings, gasket and helical gear to do this correctly. I would rather throw these parts away than deal with Grizzly again. I will not get into why I have these parts, I will say though Grizzly customer service SUCKS and they have no idea what they have on hand when you place an order. This is just one persons experience so please no hate mail:) .

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
strange, Grizzly has not been panned like that before. I have had generally good experiences buying from them.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
care to elucidate? I will soon be going through the same upgrade to my Yorkcraft 20"... and had considered ordering the Shelix head from Griz.

rhett

New User
rhett
Well, first I ordered the planer and head. Then after going over the specs of the operation and recognizing the potential for messing up the bearings trying to remove them, I thought I should order everything I could potentially break. I called them back and told them what I wanted to do, they checked my order and proceeded to sell me the parts I needed. One day later, they emailed me saying the head was on a three month back order. I cancelled my order for the planer/head and they would not waive the $2.30 restocking fee, even though they checked my order on the phone and saw the head was tagged for backorder. They sold me the parts w/o saying anything about not having the head. Luckily I found a used powermatic with a new byrd already installed. You will LOVE the upgrade, you can plane wood sideways with no tearout.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Rhett, if you can back away from "the principle", it sounds to me like the backorder fiasco resulted in you buying a better machine. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Are you saying that they shipped out the spare parts before they informed you of the backorder on the head? Are they charging you 2 dollars and 30 cents to restock the spare parts or to restock the non-existent head?

I really believe you could get some relief if you move up the customer svc (CS) ladder. Griz seems to get very high CS marks but I have seen the occasional post on WN where someone got a bum deal and was not happy with Grix CS. Papa Griz used to frequent WN on occasion and he made sure squeaky wheels got greased.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have seen some happy and some not so happy with Grizzly. Personally, my only issues were sticker shock when I had to buy new bolts for the wedge assembly for my planer. They were a $1.15 cents a piece and I believe I needed 21 of them. They were some mighty "special" bolts.

I can't blame you for your frustration, but congrats on the PM!

Sabre2

New User
Sabre2
rhett,

My Grizzly G0453 should be here Monday. I ordered the Shelix from Holbren with a 3 week expected delivery time. Since it is new I don't expect to damage any parts in the swap out. On the off chance I do i will contact you for the parts, if they are still available.

Sorry things didn't work out for you on the Griz, but glad you got a PM.

Gary

rhett

New User
rhett
rhett,

My Grizzly G0453 should be here Monday. I ordered the Shelix from Holbren with a 3 week expected delivery time. Since it is new I don't expect to damage any parts in the swap out. On the off chance I do i will contact you for the parts, if they are still available.

Sorry things didn't work out for you on the Griz, but glad you got a PM.

Gary

I have always just replaced bearings/gaskets anytime I've had to remove them. IMO pulling or hitting the outer race of a bearing couldn't be good for it.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Unfortunately, I have had problems either with my order or the item I ordered from Grizzly, and I have ordered quite a few things. I really don't know why I keep going back.

I have the Grizzly G-1021 planer, 2 hp dust collector, 10 in table saw, and the 16 in wood band saw.

All came with problems, missing/wrong parts and poor assembly instructions, not to mention very poor service in correcting these problems.

Maybe they have finally got their act together by now, I don't know, because the last purchase I made from them was about 4 years ago.

Sorry, but I just could not hold it back any longer. :eusa_booh

Talley - Mtnman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS