Greetings from the mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjann

New User
bob
Not that I'm your only member from the mountains, just the newest. When we retired up here three years ago, we built a separate woodworking shop for me to escape to. It's nicely loaded with tools, so I can't use that as an excuse. Ignorance of "real" woodworking is the problem. I have been a hack all my life, and now I want to build furniture and boxes and nice things out of hardwood. I have made many mistakes in the last couple of years, but the biggest mistake was using wood that was still "green." I thought that air drying oak local sawmill boards for three years was adequate. Now that my desks and entertainment center are warping and twisting, I know better. There are other mistakes, like not taking time to really learn jointery. Hope this forum will help me slow down and learn some better techniques.

Bob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Bob, it's great to have you. If we are supposed to learn from our mistakes I am well on my way to a PHD :lol: :lol: Wood can be the most frustrating medium :BangHead: :BangHead:

Dave:)

dozer

Mike
Welcome Bob. I'm not working on a PHD I just like all the shinny tools and making lots of noise and saw dust :lol: :lol:

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Welcome Bob and I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum. Please post some info about yourself and set up a photo gallery.

Dan C.

J

jeff...

Welcome Bob from the mountains - Sorry to hear about your green wood experience. IMHO air dried lumber is the best, just make sure it's dried to 6~8% with a dehumidifier and acclimated properly. Air drying will only get you to about 12 ~16% depending on the time of the year. Although great for outdoor projects, indoor furniture wood really needs to be about 6~8%. I would be glad to share a few tips with you if you like.

Thanks

saw4you

New User
Jack
Hey Jeff, I am a new member and would like to chat about air drying lumber. Bob, I hope one day that I will retire to the mountains.
Thanks

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the best pile of sawdust on the planet and hopefully, some positive answers to help you along in your quest to do better with your woodworking. I'm a retired transplant from the Triangle area of NC (a little over 3 years here) and we love it! We love to share info and love pictures, so get out your digital camera (I'm sure that even the suburbs of Sparta has one of those gadgets) and show us pics of you shop and projects.

Rob

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Welcome Bob. Glad to have another member here in the northeast corner. You'll pick up a lot of tips here. These guys are full of good advice.

Rick Doby

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Bob! We learn from each other and that is what makes this site. NCWWer has an awesome diversity of member skills and knowledge. Hope you enjoy the site as much as I do.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors