Grandfather Clock

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have been working on a grandfather clock for several months; it is proving to be an interesting but challenging build. The challenges have been several - starting with the actual plans which are often a bit difficult to interpret. The bonnet moulding also proved to be interesting as well as the turnings for the half columns. That said, I have had great assistance both in helping interpret the plans as well as a tutoring session on turning. Charlie looked at the plans and suggested that traditional turning tools (skew and gouges) would, in skilled hands, be more appropriate than EasyWood tools. I happen to mention this to Phil who not only let me barrow several of his turning tools but also provided a tutoring session. I am still not very proficient, especially with the skew, but I am satisfied with the results. I still have several hurdles ahead, but since I have ordered the glass as well as the mechanical works I am fully committed to finishing the project.
DEF9F119-5C67-4E10-A891-DA72B77155D9.jpeg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like it is going to make a great "How-to" post in the Resources forum. Please?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That’s looking great Donn. I’m with Gene, a little article would be wonderful.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Glad you're committed to finishing the project, that is looking GREAT!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors