Good to be here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamar

New User
Lamar
Hi Folks

Been lurking for a quiet a while and thought I'd make an intro:

I'll soon be the big "52" this month & glad that I've been better at all phases of carpentry & remodeling for twenty + years than I'm am on these computers. (My only claim to fame was locking up spell-check on my first one) Got busted out the above due the bad knees and ankles, but anyone who has huffed that much sawdust can't get away from it.

I'm now into doing things on a smaller scale. Bare with me on the photos.

Mainly I enjoy the sharing, learning and the good nature of this group and hope I may be of some help in the future and sure I'll contenue to learn and enjoy this group. This is one site that moderaters seem to have to oversee.

FWIW: I love an Ol'Tool of any kind, a power or a hand tool. Sharpen my own hand saws ect..I never miss an op to grab up a hand tool, and spent the last couple years learning and apreciating thier place with the powered ones.

Thanks to all, Lamar

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Welcome Lamar,

Glad to have you in our family. I too love the old iron stuff. Are you into hand planes, etc? I got the bug about a year or so ago and have aquired a few hand planes and such. Hope you find the site as welcoming and enjoying as we all do.

Mike

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Lamar -- glad you "came out" and decided to do your intro. We'll look forward to the wisdom of your years and more on your love of old tools. Several of us are members of the Mid-West Tool Collectors Association (my 1st year) and you'll want to follow posts on upcoming tool selling events they hold (one coming in April near Charlotte and another in July outside Raleigh). I've picked up a few planes and enjoy them, but to be honest, I do lots more with power tools.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Lamar, glad you found your voice and gave us a intro. It's nice to meet you :icon_thum

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer Lamar! I'm developing a growing affection with hand tools too, but mastery seems to be a long way off :lol:

Enjoy the site and post some pics of your tools and projects :icon_thum

Roger

Lamar

New User
Lamar
Thanks for the welcome Mike, and from everyone else.

Yep, I'm into planes and the ect. Anything that will make a shaving. Spoke shaves, drawknifes, and such. After having made a living for so many years with power tools its kinda nice to enjoy the time and chance to put them to work.

I've accumalated a decent set of the old Stanleys planes, mostly of the low nob species from #3 through #8. I've also aquired a 45, 78, 60-1/2 and a couple wooden planes. One being a scrub and the other a 2in skewed plane that works good on cross grain.

I'm still on the learning curve of mastering many of the techniques of hand tools, My First attemt at hand cut dovetails and mortice and tendons would prove that :oops:, but I have found they definately compliment the power tools. A well tuned plane can wipe the saw marks off a rip quickly with no sanding required. Ditto with a cabinet scraper.

So watch out for this slope, its bout as bad as that woodguy infection:)

Lamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS