good source for long (18') Western Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Jeff, please remember that I am in the lumber and wood flooring manufacturing business. Send me a PM if you want to move forward.

John

sediener

New User
Steve
Jeff,

Let me know if you find a source at a decent price... A kayak is on the list of 2008 projects. I'd probably need somewhere between 20 and 30 bdft. ERC might work just as well but I'll have to check that out.

- Steve

J

jeff...

Jeff,

Let me know if you find a source at a decent price... A kayak is on the list of 2008 projects. I'd probably need somewhere between 20 and 30 bdft. ERC might work just as well but I'll have to check that out.

- Steve

Problem I see with ERC, it'll be stacked full of knots - how many ERC trees have you seen around here without limbs? Think Western Cedar would be the way to go.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Actually, I would love to see some good deals on Cypress or Cedar.
I would like to try to make some deck furniture this year.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have seen many boats being built on Harkers Island out of Juniper. You might want to check it out.

Jeff

J

jeff...

Ivey has a good point would Cypress work or is it too heavy once it's dry?

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I have heard of many people joining wood together to form strips long enough to make their canoes and kayaks.

I currently have some shorter Western Cedar. Most any lumber company that deals with custom home builders can readily obtain it. A lot of home builders use it for outside trim, etc. May be worth a shot. I believe my last batch came from 84 lumber, but its only about 8' long boards. They are very wide and knot free though.

sapwood

New User
Roger
How about Luan strips? Really!
A friend (John) from my hometown is an artist, painter, potter, and all-around creative fellow. He has made three small wooden boats by hand. They are amazingly light, tough, and cheap. Luan was the cheapest material he could find. So he cut strips, beveled each strip by hand, and coated with some type of resinous stuff.

Pix below shows his last boat, but I'm not sure this one was built of luan. :?:
johnboat.jpg

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS