Glue question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
My latest project is a kitchen island table that will have a 26" X 61" granite top. The top will be heavy, so I am using maple and mortice and tennon jointry. The glue used was profesiional dark Titebond. When looking at the label I noticed it said not for structural or loadbearing applications--of course this was after I had everything glued up.:BangHead: Does anyone know exactly what this means?

My project has a lot of column type compressive elements so I don't think it will fail.

Attachments

• K Island 2.jpg
    K Island 2.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 169

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I see no problems here. I did same in my kitchen [ um i mean HER kitchen ] with a 36 by 66 granite top using pocket screws. truthfully i am more concerned with the floor than the cabinet.:roll:

fred p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That statement is probably more for their liability protection than anything else. Your M&T jointery is going to hold the piece together, the glue just keeps the M&T together. I am surprised that you are using the dark TB glue, that is generally used for dark woods to help hide any glue lines. Of course if that is all you had and your joints are tight than it really doesn't matter, no one will see the glue lines.
MTCW,
Dave:)

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
The center cabinet will be held in place with pocket screws. I think I'll use some more 45deg brackets also. Drawers were the important thing in this design, the old island didn't have any.
The dark glue was the closest bottle to hand. As you can see, the kitchen is dark and made from birtch plywood so I will go for the same color/finish.

Can anybody name a structrual wood glue. Wellwood plastic resin powder was one I remember and I don't know if it's still available. Urea formaldihide is a two part waterproof type that I've heard about. I guess what I'm asking is what is a structural joint?

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
It's their lawyers disclaimer. "Structural" generally means something that people live in. They have not had their adhesive certified by any agency that deals with safety inside structures. If the table collapses and someone gets hurt, don't call Titebond.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Had to do a little more research on this one. For a glue to be rated for structural use it must be an all weather product. For example, there is a bridge on the Tar river at Rockymount that is all wood laminate. That means rain/shine/0F to 110F. The glues used for this purpose are often two part and not good to breathe. Doubt that yellow glue is expected to maintain strength at 32F/110F. Most glued, structural rated timber, is laminated (SYP, Alasken spruce or Douglas fir). They also will bend it like in church arches. Lots of specifications and engineering data to be sure of the right thing for the job. Scroll through the pdf document and the Tar river bridge is shown along with a whole lot of data most won't want to read.
Thanks for the help everybody, I think I know why I won't be building a bridge over Shaw creek using Titebond.

Attachments

• Tar river bridge.pdf
    928.1 KB · Views: 241

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Had to do a little more research on this one. For a glue to be rated for structural use it must be an all weather product. For example, there is a bridge on the Tar river at Rockymount that is all wood laminate. That means rain/shine/0F to 110F. The glues used for this purpose are often two part and not good to breathe. Doubt that yellow glue is expected to maintain strength at 32F/110F. Most glued, structural rated timber, is laminated (SYP, Alasken spruce or Douglas fir). They also will bend it like in church arches. Lots of specifications and engineering data to be sure of the right thing for the job. Scroll through the pdf document and the Tar river bridge is shown along with a whole lot of data most won't want to read.
Thanks for the help everybody, I think I know why I won't be building a bridge over Shaw creek using Titebond.

Pretty cool. I've walked over that bridge a few times. Glad to hear the glue was properly applied. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS