Glue for Scroll Saw patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have tried several different ways to attach my patterns to the wood - when I first started I would put elmers glue on the back of the pattern - then I read about the painters tape - then I started using the spray on glue with the painters tape the pattern would lift off in some places:BangHead:- I then read about using Mineral Spirits to take the pattern off after using the spray and that worked great -So I stopped using the tape
I have used Elmer's Wonder bond spray glue and had some great benifits from it - I ran out and I thought that I would try another brand - Loc-Tite - it doesn't work as well - I would spray the pattern with alot of spray and it would still lift off of the wood:BangHead:-my question is to the other Scrollers how does everyone else attach their patterns? This question might have already been asked - if it has I am sorry:embaresse

cskipper

Cathy
I cover the wood in painters tape and glue the pattern to that. I have experienced the pattern lifting up on occasion. I wondered about copying them on the sheets that are essentially labels. I used to use packing tape, but it could be difficult to remove from delicate areas and always left a residue (which was removable by mineral spirits). Using the; painters tape leaves no residue. I have a roll of regular tape by the
saw for those pesky places that want to lift up. I also use the regular tape to keep the cut pieces in place if I need the extra support in delicate areas. Since it's all on top of the pattern, there is no residue to clean up. FWIW, I had less tape "lift up" when using regular painters tape than with the "delicate" release painters tape.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I use painters tape as well with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive . I spray a good even coat on the pattern back and rarely, if ever, have any lifting probs
I also use the self adhesive paper on occasion and have had pretty good success with that ( on top of painters tape )

I know many who use the 3M 77 without the tape and they claim the pattern comes off pretty well with mineral spirits . I can't speak to that as I am a painters tape guy all the way

Hope this helps bro :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do use the M77 spray exclusively. BTW it is cheap at Lowes then at Staple or Office Depot. Sometimes I use the painters tape (clean release type) and sometimes I don't. NORMALLY if the pattern has some very delicate areas I do not use the painters tape.

Mineral spirits is great to remove the pattern. I apply with a paper towel. Let sit a couple minutes and off it comes. I then wipe the wood with a paper towel dampered with mineral spirits to remove any glue residue.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The blue tape first with 3M spray attaching patterns is a great idea! Thanks Cathy and Robert:notworthy:

Check the newspaper for coupons for craft stores (Micheals, Hobbylobby, AC Moore, Ben Franklin). They usually have a good selection of 3M sprays at 40-50% off retail w/coupon.

For problem areas a short blast from a hair dryer helps loosen the tape adhesive.

Glennbear

Glenn
The blue tape first with 3M spray attaching patterns is a great idea! Thanks Cathy and Robert:notworthy:

Check the newspaper for coupons for craft stores (Micheals, Hobbylobby, AC Moore, Ben Franklin). They usually have a good selection of 3M sprays at 40-50% off retail w/coupon.

For problem areas a short blast from a hair dryer helps loosen the tape adhesive.

I am glad you mentioned this Mark, I recently discovered (a little slow here at times :gar-La; ) , A heat gun is like magic in removing labels, tape etc. :wsmile:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks for all of your input - I have looked over the 3M 77 several times and from what I read 3M is the way to go - I just cut out some Zebras (pics soon) and had trouble with the lift up -

cskipper

Cathy
Hair dryers do work. I was scoffed at once for that, but they do work. The only lift-up I get is the tape - not the pattern. I am not partial to a particular brand of spray adhesive.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I might go back to the painters tape on some patterns - but with the real delicate ones I will leave it off -

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am glad you mentioned this Mark, I recently discovered (a little slow here at times :gar-La; ) , A heat gun is like magic in removing labels, tape etc. :wsmile:

I had a bad experince with a heat gun for the removal of a pattern. The heat actually cracker the RO piece I was working. Might have been too much heat for to long but I am not a fan of this method.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
FYi...Just back from Wallyworld. Saw a large can of 3M #77 spray adhesive for $9.89 in the glue section next to paint. Probably enough to last a lifetime (unless you're Robert or Cathy:gar-La;) I think I did better with mine at Micheals or AC Moore and a coupon.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I've tried many of the spray-on glues that are made for scroll sawing, then tried many other things when I wasn't satisfied with those special purpose glues. Blue tape works OK if you are just going to hand draw your pattern on it, but for small very complex patterns it doesn't work out so good.

What I've been using for glue, lately, is rubber cement from the stationery store. Paint thinner easily takes off any residue that doesn't pull off when you pull off the paper. Another trick is to print your pattern on a photo copier or a laser printer and then use a heated clothes iron to transfer the ink from the paper directly onto the wood. It's a high temperature wax, so it also disolves and washes off the wood easily with paint thinner.

nightshade

New User
Janet
I use painters tape and spray adhesive. If the pattern starts to lift off I usually shoot a bit more glue under it. Using the tape saves a lot of hassle later on.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I use the 3M 77 spray with it sprayed only on the pattern. The can suggests that for a repositionable bond, but it has never lifted up on me. I take my patterns off with a heat gun. The pattern curls right up, and if I have any leftover glue, it comes right off with mineral spirits. Never tried covering with painter's tape first then spray gluing, this method works for me. Then I cover it up with clear packing tape, and that seems to help the pattern come off with the heat gun. My $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS