Flat topped saw blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I am looking for a low cost (CHEAP), but not C%^P, flat topped 10" GP saw blade for the times I need to make a kerf cut, dado, etc. The majority of blades seem to be ATB. It won't be on the saw that often.

sapwood

New User
Roger
David,
I have a Freud and DeWalt FTG. Both were $40-$50 bucks and have 22 teeth. One is damaged . . . but don't remember which one :drunken_s Arbor nut came loose and damaged the arbor hole. Arbor shaft has been replaced :icon_thum
You are welcome to borrow the remaining one, it has low mileage and the cold weather keeps me out of the shop anyway.

Roger

woodnick

New User
Nick
What your looking for is a FTP "flat top grind" They are made for ripping. I have two that I sometimes stack together to make a 1/4" wde kerf. There are general not too expensive as they will only have 24 teeth. You will use it more then you think. So don't go too cheap.

sediener

New User
Steve
Let me know what you end up with and how clean the cut is. I want to get one but the only one I know of isn't low cost... Forrest Custom WoodWorker

- Steve

DavidF

New User
David
David,
I have a Freud and DeWalt FTG. Both were $40-$50 bucks and have 22 teeth. One is damaged . . . but don't remember which one :drunken_s Arbor nut came loose and damaged the arbor hole. Arbor shaft has been replaced :icon_thum
You are welcome to borrow the remaining one, it has low mileage and the cold weather keeps me out of the shop anyway.

Roger

Thanks Roger, When I get back from WA state at the end of the month I'll take you up on that offer.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Freud made a decent one a couple of years ago, not sure about now. Check amazon.

I will probably be buying another very soon for making box joints. the trouble I am having right now is finding one that has the flat top grind but isn't thin kerf so it will work with my splitter.

A lot of ripping blades are going to thin kerf now, and that also messes me up with the number of cranks I have to make on my "Lynn's Jig". I know, picky picky :slap:

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Here is an answer and a caution. First, almost all full kerf, 24 tooth rip blades are flat top ground and will leave a flat bottomed kerf. I know of no thin kerf, flat top ground blades.

Now the caution. A flat top, rip blade will not produce as clean a cut when used for crosscutting and gives a poor cut when used with plywood.

So, there's a trade-off.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Send Mike Jackson an email: mjackson@leitztooling.com and let him know what you need.
He resells excess first quality inventory for Leitz and has some great deals on blades, drill bits and router bits. I got a 24T flat top HO Schumacher from him last year for ~$30w/shipping. I also got an 80T HO Schumacher plywood blade that is very good on this ad.

Here's his November post from Woodnet as an example (I'm sure most of this is gone so email for current inventory):

EMAIL IS THE PREFERRED CONTACT METHOD

All shipping is done via UPS and a tracking # will be provided.

I am not available on Mondays for the most part.I get my weekly shipment from Germany then and have to take care of the backorders . Please be patient if I don't get back to you right away,I'm a one man operation.
PRICES HAVE BEEN DROPPED TO CLEAR THIS STUFF OUT When it's gone that's it . The following Delta/H.O. Schumacher & Sohn/Irwin/leitz blades are specially priced for you . The 10" blades have 5/8" bores,the 12" have 1" bores (Unless otherwise noted). Bores can be opened or bushed for an additional $5 each (sorry -but we have to pay the lathe operator too). If you are not sure what you want, just email me the info (machine type, bore size, what you want to cut , how good of cut quality you need) .Shipping is actual UPS charges plus one dollar ($1). When asking for shipping quote please let me know how many blades,what size they are , and zip code . We take Mastercard, Visa and Paypal, you can mail payment (personal check and money orders) also, but I can't ship til payment is rec'd. These blades were made to compete with Freud and Delta high end stuff,you won't be disappointed. If you reside in the following states, I will need to collect sales tax.. Thanks to everyone who has left positive feedback.
TAX is collected for these states:
Mi.=6% , In.=6% , Pa.=6% , NC=6.75% , Va.=5% , Wi.=5% , Mn.=6.5% , Tx.=8.25% , Wa.=8.8% , Ca.=8.25% ,FL=6%, IA=5%

THANKS, Mike Jackson
leitz Tooling System

H.O Schumacher & Sohn 10” z80 High (30 degree) ATB, -6 degree hook, full kerf, 5/8” bore great for double sided laminates, man-made materials, plywood etc. $25

LEITZ PRO SERIES 10” z30 neg hook ATB 5/8” bore great for chop saw or radial arm quick work $10

The next one is a Leitz made Irwin branded blade from a cancelled contract with Irwin (their loss)

10" z60 ATB crosscut #004 $10 only 15 left

I also have high end Delta 8" to 16" (leitz made)
42-106 rail shaper cutter ¾” bore $20
DELTA 8” SPECIAL-BUY 2 8” BLADES AND GET A FREE DELTA 8” 34 TOOTH ATB THIN KERF BLADE-that’s 3 nice blades for $20-can’t beat that with a stick 

35-684 6" SPLIT SCORE blade,z24 flat-top, 22mm bore, adjustable from .165" to .188" kerf- $10
35-590 8" z48 5/8" bore TC/F .110 kerf,0 degree hook $10
35-751 8" z64 ATB 5/8" bore .0875 kerf,positive hook $10
35-591 8" z24 ATB 5/8" bore $10
10” BLADE SPECIAL –BUY ANY 10 10” BLADES (mix and match) AND GET A DELTA 35-626 10” 60 tooth ATB for free.

35-626 10" z60 ATB 5/8" bore $10

35-629 10" z48 TC with a .156 kerf 1" bore $10
35-610 10" z10 SQ 5/8" bore $10
35-614 10" z48 ATB 5/8" bore $10

35-654 12" z80 ATB -Negative Hook- 1" bore $25
35-670 14" z14 flat rip 1" bore $10
35- 671 14" z24 flat rip 1" bore $12
35-699 16" z120 ATB 1" bore $30
35-695 16" z84 ATB 1" bore $30
I ALSO HAVE SOME SOLID CARBIDE SPIRAL ROUTERS ALL LEITZ BRAND-
1/2" Compression (up/down) LEFT HAND spiral 1/2"shank,1 1/2" cut length,3" OAL 2+2 $30 each (#130040021)

1/2" down shear RIGHT HAND spiral 1/2" shank, 1 1/2" cut length,3 1/2" OAL 3 flute smooth down shear $35 each (#130038729)

1/2" up shear RIGHT HAND spiral 1/2" shank,1 3/4" cut length, 3 3/4" OAL 3 flute ROUGH up shear $40 each (#130038752)

email me with special requests
Mike Jackson
leitz Tooling Systems
mjackson@leitztooling.com

Jim Kunzweiler

New User
Jim
I use a 7 1/4" Freud Diablo blade with either 40 or 60 teeth and have them reground to a flat top. Most any saw sharpening shop can do it for you. The Freud Diablo blade is sold thru the big box stores (HD and the like) for use in a skill saw, but I find that they work great on a 10" table saw when I am only making a very shallow cuts. Since these blades are both thin kerf, a shallow cut is all that is recommended. On my 10" PM 66 I can easily cut to a 1/4" depth. I use them with great success to make flat bottom cuts such as small box joints and the like. With the thin kerf I make box joints with a 1/16" finger....works great for jewelery box trays. The best thing is the price, with a $14.95 purchase price and 25 cents per tooth regrind charge I have under $30 invested. Again, these blades only deliver these kind of results on a shallow cut. Try and cut an 8/4 maple with these thin kerf blade and they are toast.

DavidF

New User
David
Here is an answer and a caution. First, almost all full kerf, 24 tooth rip blades are flat top ground and will leave a flat bottomed kerf. I know of no thin kerf, flat top ground blades.

Now the caution. A flat top, rip blade will not produce as clean a cut when used for crosscutting and gives a poor cut when used with plywood.

So, there's a trade-off.

Exactly, and that is why I only want one occasionally to produce a sharp inside corner to a dado or rebate when I don't want to use the router table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS