Flat part on router base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just a guess: To make it easier to guide it along a straight edge?

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Let me take a guess at this. If you're routing a dado up against a guide using a router with a round base and the bit isn't perfectly centered to the base, AND you rotate the router a little, it could go out of it's straight line. If you use one with the straight side to the base you'll keep the router in the same placement and you won't have that problem?? Okay, I'm ready. Beat me up!:gar-La; Am I hallucinating?

Tom

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I know from use that there's more friction with the flat against a fence. And if the flat moves just slightly away from flush, the bit will swing greatly off track. But if a point on the round base is used as a reference, then less friction and the reference is more forgiving. In fact, I add a round base to my routers that have the flats.

This jig is the main reason I like a round base. The 2 fences are squeezed against a sample of the piece that will fit into the resultant dado regardless of it's thickness. I like to run the router down & back without having to rotate the router, cord & vac hose. BTW, this pic shows the setup for a rabbet, but dado or sliding DT the is same.

Rabbet1.JPG

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

I agree with Joe that is it easier to control round bases for accuracy -- I've had plenty of routers and my only ones without round bases are the little ones (a P-C Trim router and a Trend T3).

thrytis

New User
Eric
I always thought it was because bases usually aren't perfectly centered, as Tom mentioned. I know i have run into problems before when i've used different points on a round base to guide the router along a fence.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I agree with Joe that is it easier to control round bases for accuracy -- I've had plenty of routers and my only ones without round bases are the little ones (a P-C Trim router and a Trend T3).

Funny, the only router I have that does not have a round base is my largest router, 2.5 hp.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think Tom has a valid point about some routers not being perfectly centered on their bases. The downside I see is when you may need to rout to a right angle & turn, you'd overshoot your line on the next cut. It shouldn't be a problem to rout against a circular base & straightedge as long as you aren't twirling the router around and around as you make the cut.
The flat could also be used to cut a dado wider than the bit if the difference between the 2 distances was within the limits and tolerances of what needed to be cut. Just make 1 pass on the flat and another on the circle.

OH! I just thought of the REAL reason. So's you can lay it down on its side & it won't roll off the table!:gar-La;

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Tom and Dennis
OH! I just thought of the REAL reason. So's you can lay it down on its side & it won't roll off the table!:gar-La;
have it right. Some routers do not have the ability to center the bit.

By the way, you are missing out if you don't have a centering pin. A couple of places sell them. The one I like from Lee Valley has a 1/4" shank on one half and a 1/2" shank on the other. They are good for aligning the bushings and base (if he collars fit tight)

Woodcraft sells this:

142169_230.jpg

Woodworker supply sells this:
113-415.jpg

I use this one from Lee Valley:

50j5001s1.jpg

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I just asked a sales clerk, and here's the answer. "It's so you don't put the black piece on backwards".
SPARE ME!

Was hoping CharlesM would chime in with a believeable answer.

My big Milwaukee has a round base, my DW625 and Freud2200E have a flat on the base. My small Sears have round bases and the GMC has a flat on he base.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
How does having a flat keep you from putting the black piece on backwards???:icon_scra

I had never thought of so it doesn't roll off the table. That does make sense, but I don't think I have had one of my round ones roll off anyway. It seems the handles stick out too far to let that happen.

Alex Franke

New User
Alex
Is it a plunge base? My guess is that it provides more friction/accuracy when you're plunging a hole while holding it against a straight edge. You don't want to router to rotate at all along the straight edge when all you want is a hole...

I would center the bit and use the round part to glide, though.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just asked a sales clerk, and here's the answer. "It's so you don't put the black piece on backwards".
SPARE ME!
If you're in the standard BORG the only thing you can find out from a sales clerk is where the restroom is & I already know that real well.:gar-La; I can read the box.
I find customer service in those places nonexistent. I will say that Lowe's has most of their sales clerks trained to tell you which aisle something is on -but they won't take you to it.
Maybe the correct answer to Joe's question is so they could get more bases outa one piece of plastic.:icon_scra

J

jeff...

It's might be something to do with plunge base - I have this Bosch set the plunge base has a flat but the fixed base is round.
62716-md.jpg
but then again my old maktia 3612BR plunge router has a round one.
3612br.jpg

so the answer is :dontknow:

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Sorry if my answer sounded flippant Joe, didn't mean it to.

My first router, still have it and it still runs, is a Sears Craftsman from the early 70's. At the time I had no idea what I was doing and I experienced exactly what I described trying to build a set of garage shelves. The bit was so off center and I was turning the router so much while using it that the shelves wouldn't align in the dado. I placed a reference mark on the base to aid me in keeping it "to the edge" so I wouldn't have that problem. Now with my Dewalt, I can center the bit, know not to rotate the router and have better success.

Tom

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Very good Question. At First I ignored this post:slap:.
Sorry Joe won't happen again.
But I did go out and check my routers. of the the four that I have It's an equal mixture of flat and completly round.
You got me.
But also got me thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS