First steps on the road to scroll sawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I got my first scroll saw from Lowes a few weeks ago, right before the picnic. I bought it solely to cut inlays, as I didn't think I would have the patience to do scroll work. I was worried that since it was so inexpensive that it was going to have horrible vibration, so when I got home I did this test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fOcKe8jxs

Well, then I tried out my very first inlay on a decorative box I am making with hand cut dovetails. It's nowhere near done, but here's a couple of pics of the purpleheart inlay

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

So when I got the saw, I went looking for blades. I liked the idea of spiral blades because spinning the piece for all those intricate cuts seemed like a hassle. I bought some, and had a miserable time with them. They were hard to control, and were difficult to change out.

I did more research and tried flying dutchman reverse tooth blades. Well, I am happy to say that they worked out great for me, and I am totally hooked. Here's a pic of my first 2 projects

DSC00700.jpg

I have a long way to go, but I am really enjoying it. I finally see what it is all you scrollers out there see. :eusa_danc

Now if only I could figure out woodcarving :cry_smile

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Thats GREAT WORK!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I find myself using my scroll saw for everything! If you get a chance try intarsia It has turned out to be one of my favorite ways to use my scroll saw & its a great way to get the carved look in your work piece! Also heres a great source for blades!

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/

Kicbak

New User
Wes
That looks great. I have the same exact saw and just did my first learning piece this week. I'm dreadful and by the looks of your work the saw isn't the problem :gar-Bi.
Where did you go to get tips? Did anyone here show you how to scroll? I'd love to meet some of the pros on this site for sure.

Wes

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
yeah, I saw that website, but what turned me off was that you can't order online. Or maybe I'm just blind :BangHead:

I'll bet that guy would do a ton more business if he took online orders. There really seems to be a lack of simple scroll saw blade ordering on the internet

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice Marco, that came out great. Dovetails AND inlays in one box? Showoff! :rolf:

Just stay away from turning :)

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Honestly, I had never touched a scroll saw before this one nor seen one in operation. I learned from a book I got from the library all about scroll sawing and from youtube videos. In my opinion, there's a steep learning curve, but every once in a while I have an epiphany moment and all of a sudden it gets a lot simpler. But it definitely g ives me a ton of respect f or the people who are really good at it!!

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
You can order online there is a secure online order form

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/order.htm

Also send him an email telling him your new to scrolling & he'll send you some different free blades so you can get the feel of what blades you like & what you don't like!

yeah, I saw that website, but what turned me off was that you can't order online. Or maybe I'm just blind :BangHead:

I'll bet that guy would do a ton more business if he took online orders. There really seems to be a lack of simple scroll saw blade ordering on the internet

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Marco,

I bought the same saw from Lowes a few months ago. Looks like you have been a little more active in the scroll sawing than I have been. How is the changing blades working out for you. Are you releasing the blade from the top or bottom?

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I guess I'm what you call a bottom feeder. I have heard that that is a bad habit to get into because it's harder to do on larger work, but on the hitachi I just don't see how I would ever get good at feeding from the top. But with some practice, I can thread the blade, clamp it and retension it pretty quickly. It's no Hawk or Hegner, but it's been working out for me

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Way to Go Marco! Congratulations on jumping into the scroll saw wagon.
And that's some pretty good looking work for starting off.

M

McRabbet

I think we need to start a new phrase to describe those of you that fall into the trap of making all those little holes and lines and cutouts known as scroll sawing -- It'll be known as going "Ziggy"! (With apologies to the real guy!)
hdr_zi.png

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Marco great work on the scrolling. You are well on your way. :eusa_clap Spiral blades are harder to master then flat blades but they do have their purpose and limits. For example I would never use spirals to cut the letters in the welcome sign (some folks might) but I could be used to cut the flowers on that sign.

I highly recommend Mikes as you source for FD blades. Prices are good and customer service is great.

dozer

Mike
Nice job Marco, I have been wondering about that saw but haven't seen any reviews about it.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess I'm what you call a bottom feeder. I have heard that that is a bad habit to get into because it's harder to do on larger work, but on the hitachi I just don't see how I would ever get good at feeding from the top. But with some practice, I can thread the blade, clamp it and retension it pretty quickly. It's no Hawk or Hegner, but it's been working out for me

VG, scrolling is one area where being a bottom feed is not a bad thing. On some saw there is no other way. :BangHead: I have the Dewalt and I bottom feed 98% of the time.

For those non scrollers bottom feeding means the you leave the bottom of the blade clamped in the blade holder and feed the blade up through the work and then lock in the top of the blade.

So you are a bottom feeder...Stand up and be proud!!!!! :gar-Bi

cskipper

Cathy
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Those are great - especially for first cuts!!!!! Doesn't that make you want to try the next pattern? It's addicting! Terrific job!

sawduster

New User
Robert
Welcome to the very addicting world of scrolling :eusa_clap That is excellent work for just starting out ....heck , that's good for having been in the chair for a few months ! :gar-La;
Next time you order from FD, get some of the " easy spirals " that Mike sells . Get some #3's and #5's , PM me when you get them and I'll have you driving them like a sports car :kermit:
They're not the blade to end all blades but they certainly have their place in the arsenal

Good work man !! :icon_thum:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors