First Baron

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay came over today and threw another log on the ever burning pen turning addiction that he started in me. He introduced me to a new kit. The Baron.... I borrowed his bushings and turned a set of my own out of Delrin, and drilled out a Amboyna blank. Later today I turned the blank and here is the results.
Satin Nickel Baron in two toned Amboyna

Copy_of_Pens_337.jpg

And cap off...I found out the difference between a Rollerball andBallpoint...RB's can leak :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Copy_of_Pens_342.jpg

Thanks for lookin', critiques always welcome and appreciated.
Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Well done, fit and finish look good.
The Baron(navigator) is a great looking pen but the ferrule you hold is too skinny for me.I hate the "hex sided" part.
Too bad, it is such a classy looking pen.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful pen!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap. Looks like you are really going through the Ambroyna. Hopefully it won't be too long before they offer another sale that includes the wood. You are making outstanding use of it!!

Go

clowman

Clay Lowman
Nice Dave! I knew that would turn out nice when I saw that wood. If you don't like the hex part, I believe that there is another style of pen very much like this one that is round where this one is hex, but I can't recall the name. I liked the hex, which is why I got this pen. My hands are just too small to use a big pen on a regular basis.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay thanks for the kit. This pen may replace the one that you made me out of PH...out of all the pens I've made, I still use that one everyday. I like the hex shape to the nib, and the weight when the cap is posted. My only complaint is how many turns (1.25 rotations) it takes to remove and post the cap.

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
This pen may replace the one that you made me out of PH

I knew this day would come when you started turning. Congrats Dave, you do super work. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Nice work, Dave. I like the rollerballs and I like the pens that have a separate cap. The amboyna is gorgeous. The first picture does not show off your finish, imho...better in the second, but I'm a little distracted by Rorschach...

Chris

DavidF

New User
David
That's a great looking piece of wood Dave and the colour of the pen parts is lovely. AND the turning is exquisite, but I would say that I don't really like the "clonkyness" of the bottom end where the cap screws on when using the pen and the exposed thread it looks kind of weird.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
That type of connection for"posting" is very common these days, not that I care for the look either.
Another method of "coupling" when posting is machined metal parts and those at times are troublesome for the user.
The nylon or delrin threads appears to be the "norm".
Manufacturers are cutting costs where ever they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors