Fire recovery update - the new shop July '09 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
It's been quite a while since I updated this post, and since I have a few extra minutes it's a good time to bring it current. Since my original post has been closed, I'll start a new one with the latest update.

I've been using the shop (and still working on it) for the past few months. It's at that "90% point - where it took a year to get to 90% and will probably take another year to get the last 10%.

All of my focus has been internal. All of the electrical is complete, save for running the 480V wiring from the panel board to four pieces of equipment. The two pieces of 240V 3-phase equipment (RAS and Wide belt sander) are both operational, using the phase converter. They will also be able to run off of the generator via the step-down transformer.

All equipment is in place except for the main dust collection blower (which is here but not yet installed). The main blower is a 50" impellor, 25 HP Buffalo Forge fan that I'll use to blow directly into a dump truck.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1566/medium/IMG_33221.JPG
IMG_33221.JPG

The Oliver jointer/planer is in place, and earlier this week I completed the installation on the EMC 37" wide belt sander (also 25 hp). Many thanks to Don Patterson (Touchwood) who came out and assisted with the sander installation, and also took the time to make a system for hanging the spare belt loops.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1566/medium/IMG_3438.JPG
IMG_3438.JPG

Several NCWoodworker Members have come out in the past few weeks to assist. Prior to Don Patterson's visit, Chris Tully (CPTully) came out and assisted me with the drywall installation in the bathroom and break area, and hopefully he will be able to come back out next week.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1566/medium/IMG_3313.JPG
IMG_3313.JPG

Both MikeL and FredP were out in May, and provided some great assistance, and Reggie Medlin stopped by today to take a quick tour and visit. Another NCWoodworker member - Griz - came out yesterday and we milled some gorgeous fiddle back maple from a couple of logs that he had. GeorgeL, his lovely wife and Alex also stopped by a few weeks ago to loan me a fuel injection test set, and to get the nickel tour. Wes (Kicbak) stopped by after the picnic and dropped off the initial version of my wood management database.

"The Bas" also stopped by recently to use the planer and discover the joys of Festool! I think that we may have a convert in the making...

The widebelt sander works great (and many thanks to Rick DeNardo (The Moulding Source), DaveO (transportation assistance) Travis (for letting me know about it), and Dino Drosas for their participation in its journey into my shop. Buying an assortment of sanding belts put a dent in the old wallet, but it's good to have them available when needed.

My primary focus right now is sheetrock. Today a friend stopped by and helped me install the sheetrock on the walls in the generator room. Since the walls are 12' tall, it was definitely a two-person task. Once I complete the sheetrock taping, floating, etc, as well as pointing, I’ll be able to set the fuel tank for the generator and wrap up the generator install.

Still to be completed is the sheetrock in the mechanical room and the bottom 5 foot perimeter of the main shop.

Recently completed was all of the water and drain lines rough-in in the bathroom and break area. I plan on completing the rest of the plumbing installation next week once the sanding and finishing of the drywall is complete, and the walls painted.

The most important recent addition though was the AIR CONDITIONER! I had an old commercial wall mounted unit (2.5 ton) that was stored in one of my sheds that I've owned for 14 years. It is amazing that a unit that small can keep the main shop comfortable (it's 45,000 cubic feet / 3000 square feet). I have placed an oscillating 36" pedestal fan in front of the discharge, which propels the conditioned air all the way across the shop, and as long as I can minimize the amount of time that the doors are opened it stays in the mid to high 70's inside all day long. The R50 equivalent insulation in the walls is really paying off; the most amazing thing is that I have not even insulated the attic yet!

I did have one "oops"... it seems that when we framed out the bathroom we started the stud walls on the "wrong side" of the chalk line. Thus, the shower drain was 4" off center.... I debated between raising the shower versus taking the hammer drill to the concrete, and in the end I opted for the hammer drill. It went faster than I thought, and only cost me 1/2 a day.

All in all, a lot of progress in the past few months, but still a ways to go.

Many, many thanks to everybody who has stopped by to assist - it has been very much appreciated!

Scott

Last edited:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
You've got quite an operation there Scott. Once completed, there's not much you won't be able to do. I know it has been a long process. Out of the ashes has risen something of which you can be very proud.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The scale on which you do things is staggering. Looks like you're getting very close to being operational. A good shop is never "done" anyway, it's just between renovations :)

I bet you could fit Doug's shop 400 times in there....

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
:icon_thum So long as the free labor doesn't cost you. :gar-Bi

Oh, I'm sure that it will cost me something.... Fortunately, in Chris's case I'm already paid up!

I need to figure out some type of "work for wood" type of deal... Betcha I'd get some takers too...

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Looks like it's coming together very well Scott. :icon_thum Next time I'm in the area, I'll definitely stop by. If you're still working on it, I'll be glad to help, if not, maybe I could just come in and drool all over the place. :tongue2: :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors