Finishing Ash end table

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
I have just finished an end table made out of Ash. I don't know how to finish it and am wondering if you all would share with me your favorite way of finishing Ash. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thnx.

Cato

New User
Bob
I have only used Ash once, for my work table top and I finished with Danish oil.

It came out a natural look with just a hint of warmer color, but for my work table that was fine.

I think it is one of those hardwoods that can be prone to blotching if stained, but others way more experienced than me can chime in on that aspect.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've used ash on a few projects and have never been satisified with my attempts to stain it. It is however a very nice wood to use a clear finish on.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I finished these made from ash with a mixture of mineral spirits, poly, and blo. Finished with johnson's paste wax and buffed to a sheen.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

BobN

New User
Bob
Made a couple of doors out of ash and finished them with WaterLox. Was very happy with the way they turned out.

Bob

weelis

New User
weelis
I stand corrected . I have COMPLETED making my end table. but don't know what FINISH to use. Thank u for allowing me to correct my play on words.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I stand corrected . I have COMPLETED making my end table. but don't know what FINISH to use. Thank u for allowing me to correct my play on words.

A mixture of one third mineral spirits, one third poly, and one third boiled linseed oil is how my end tables were finished. Three coats of this mixture sanded in between coats and topped with Jhonson's paste wax is how I got the finish that has stood for three years to spills and abuse. Still looks the same as when I put them in the house. With the exception of natural darkening.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
PC310004.JPG

View image in gallery
these were done with BLO/Min Spirts and 4 coats of wipe on Poly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS