finished xmas gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodylarry

New User
Larry
I finally got a few days off in a row(retail @ xmas time, yuck) and spent a bit of it in the shop working on some gifts for friends and neighbors.

Knowing how much we all like pictures:

100_1042.JPG

Made about 30 or so of these and LOML has been handing them out all day.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's really cool. Seeing as this is not posted in the Scrollsaw forum I am assuming that you cut the notches on the TS. 6 pieces glued together? Did you gang cut them?
What wood, it almost looks like Sassafras???

Dave:)

woodylarry

New User
Larry
TS is correct as well as BS. Requires 6 crosscuts@ 30 deg.(crosscuts so that facegrain ends up on the show side instead of end grain) Start w/ scrap about 8-10" long. 5-6" wide. 13/16 stock will give appx 3" snowflake. These started out w/ 15/16 stock for appx 4" snowflake.

Crosscut 6 pieces (or divisible by six for lots of snowflakes!). Glue up, make the slot cuts, then bandsaw into slices. A little sanding on a disc and then finish. I like to rub on some wax and buff w/ a cotton wheel.

Sounds easy but because of all the angles involved, everything MUST be flat, square, paralell and dead-on or things go awry during glue up and slot cuts.

Oak. Flatsawn. not sure if red or white.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Oak. Flatsawn. not sure if red or white.[/quote]

It was red oak, air dried over 5 years in Chappel Hill by another NCWW'r.

Nice Job:icon_thum

And thanks for the Ornament!

KC7CN

New User
Don
Now that's a nice gift Woody!

The real pleasure for the person that receives a handcrafted tree ornament (hope that's what it is :eusa_hand), is when years later they are decorating the tree. Hanging the ornaments was a trip down memory lane this year; there was the Garfield (the cat) ornament from my kids when they were little, a shinny blue ball ornament my Mom bought for me on impulse (just because I said I liked it), several old ones we inherited over the years, and one from an old employer. We had a lot of good memories just putting up the tree this year! :icon_thum

-Don

woodylarry

New User
Larry
I sent one to a good friend back home with a note that said "every xmas put this on your tree, and then you will always remember me". corny but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors