Finished Butterfly box

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Here is the box that I started a couple of weeks ago - 3/4 cherry - 1/4 BW - Butterfly is 1/4 Avodire

T

toolferone

That is real purdy!! Did you stack cut on an angle to lose the saw kerf?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
That is real purdy!! Did you stack cut on an angle to lose the saw kerf?
Yes I did - this is the first one that I have done like this and I REALLY need to work on the "how-to" the butterfly was up to high and I had to do alot of sanding - will do better next time I hope

JohnW

New User
John
Phillip,
That's real nice. I like the design and considering it's your first one using this technique, the butterfly looks like a good tight fit. Well done. :icon_thum.

I spend soooooooo much time sanding down my conservative designs and mistakes I think it might be worth spending some bucks for better sanding tools. :icon_scra

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip,
That's real nice. I like the design and considering it's your first one using this technique, the butterfly looks like a good tight fit. Well done. :icon_thum.

I spend soooooooo much time sanding down my conservative designs and mistakes I think it might be worth spending some bucks for better sanding tools. :icon_scra

Thanks John, I was kind of scared to cut the butterflt - I am making it for the ladies conference at church for a door prize - and this was the last piece of 1/4 Walnut I had - I will have to get my degrees down better so that it will fit better in the future

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Phillip, that is truly impressive! :notworthy: I really love the butterfly incorporated into the box. Excellent work all around. Great choice of wood and great design. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip, that is truly impressive! :notworthy: I really love the butterfly incorporated into the box. Excellent work all around. Great choice of wood and great design. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Thanks Trent - I wish that this was my design - it is a design by Sue Mey of South Africa - if you would like to see some of her patterns you can go to www.scrollsawartist.com she is a real nice lady

PChristy

New User
Phillip
How do you do that? I am so impressed! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Very Beautiful work!!!

I am no expert but this is the way I did it - You have to stack cut the butterfly at an angle as to where that bottom piece of your stack will then fit up into the top piece after you have cut it out - you have to have the angle just right and you can't back up on your cut if you go off line or you will have a saw curf -

sawduster

New User
Robert
Nice job bro ! :icon_thum

I do my inlays in the opposite direction , where the top piece falls into the bottom piece . Normally the wood I'm using is larger than the finished piece so I will do test cuts on the border to get the angle correct. I cut a straight line for about 1/2 " then cut a circle ( make sure your direction is right ) and come back out through the same line. Pop out both circles and reinsert the bottom one to check the fit
I generally start at 3 degrees and adjust from there. Every wood stack is different so I do this every time . It's a bit of a PITA but then so is sanding :gar-La;

You've done a really nice job following those curves bro :eusa_clap That is a difficult thing to accomplish since , as you said , you cannot back out of a cut

bravo dood :icon_cheers:notworthy:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Man, Phillip, that's a nice piece! I know the "Ladies" liked that one!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Any way I could swap you some rocks for one like that?

:rotflm:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:eek: Wow, just wow.

You did a wonderful job on that!

Beautiful work ... amazing.

Man, Phillip, that's a nice piece! I know the "Ladies" liked that one!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Any way I could swap you some rocks for one like that?

:rotflm:

Looks great Phillip.

Thanks everyone - Reggie I gave it to the lady that is the head of the Ladies conference this past Sunday and she loved it - The conference is on March and she will give it as a door prize - I hope the winner will love it also - I will think:eusa_thin about it and get back with you on the trading thing:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS