Finish choices for Cherry bookcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Well, I've gotten 2 different opinions re best choice of finishing a built-in entertainment cabinet/bookcase made of cherry (4/4, cherry plywood, cherry crown molding, etc)- I'd like a natural/unstained finish.
First expert (local WW shop) had 4 choices, best approach is sprayed-on Watco Lacquer, given ease of application (HVLP sprayer) and quick drying, also easy to touch up. Slightly more durable would be spar varnish, but slower drying.
Second expert (full time painter/faux finisher for 30yrs) advised hand-brushed Benjamin Moore varnish.

I expect I'll get 10 different answers in the first 5 replies, but overall for a frequently used cabinet (in a house w-6year old), any other strong opinions??? :dontknow:

THanks in advance!:mrgreen:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have used Waterlox Original Satin on a couple of cherry pieces and it performed very well.

Easy to apply, didn't blotch the cherry and will be easy to touch up if necessary, (Con: A wee bit expensive, if you need a lot.)

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You're right about getting multiple opinions because finishing is a matter of personal taste. :wsmile:

My preferred finish for cherry is a three way mix of Varnish/Polyurethane, BLO, and Thinner, w/ equal parts of each. Apply it liberally with either a brush or rag, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. If you see it drying in some spots quicker than others, keep it wet. Then wipe it off w/ a clean, lint free cloth. Repeat this several times. If you use a fast drying Poly, you don't have to wait as long. It's hard to screw this finish up.

The varnish/Poly builds up over several coats to provide a durable finish, while the BLO adds a little instant patina to the cherry. Of course the cherry will darken over time anyway.

HTH, Bill Clemmons

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have a cherry chair with Waterlox and I agree that it looks nice. Whatever topcoat you choose, I suggest some kind of sealer to help prevent blotching, especially since you will be combining many different sources of cherry. I love cherry with no stain, but not many woods are less attractive than blotched cherry (DAMHIKT).

Jeff

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
My favorites have already been mentioned, Waterlox and the oil urethane. A couple more that is easy to apply is blonde shellac and wipe on gel urethane.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I just finished up a cherry project, (post coming), w/ several coats of Waterlox & I'm very happy. Nice and even w/ no blotchiness. It was also very easy to touch up when I tried to cut a corner a little too tight coming up the stairs :slap:, no evidence whatsoever.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
If you have spray equipment, a place to use it and are experienced as a sprayer, a couple of coats of NC lacquer would be just fine. Lacquer is slightly amber which will tend to "pop" the grain and it is more than durable enough for something like an entertainment center.

Another easy option is to use a thinned wiping varnish. A darker varnish like Waterlox Original or Behlen Rockhard color the cherry nicely and impart an attractive grain popping glow. The Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish is already thinned and can be wiped on right out of the can. The Waterlox Original Gloss or Satin, as well as the Behlen Rockhard will need to be thinned to make them into a wiping varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS