Filling planer tearout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

New User
Phil Capper
i'm building a vanity and the top is ash finished naturally.

the tearout needs to be filled , but, since i'm finishing the top naturally, i'm thinking I could use a clear epoxy to fill the tearout spots and then proceed with the poly or lacquer finish.

thoughts?

Phil capper

botebum

New User
Doug
Epoxy and wood will both color with age... at different rates to different colors. I'd be looking at other methods. Sorry to say, I don't know of any good ones to offer.

Doug

nelsone

New User
Ed
How bad is the tearout? Can you plane or scrape it out? If not you could try mixing some dust from the wood and mix it with the epoxy. Best place to get the dust is from your ROS dust collector, it's nice and fine.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
i'm building a vanity and the top is ash finished naturally.

the tearout needs to be filled , but, since i'm finishing the top naturally, i'm thinking I could use a clear epoxy to fill the tearout spots and then proceed with the poly or lacquer finish.

thoughts?

Phil capper

Phil-----I have used clear epoxy in similar situations with success. I did put a coat of finish on before filling, sanded flush and applied a couple more coats of finish. That has been several years ago and I do not see the places unless I really look for them.

I have also seen dust from the sander and crazy glue mixed as a filler for pick out. Seemed to do a good job also.:)

Jerry

J

jeff...

Phil, my vote is for clear two part epoxy- I've used it before with sucess, I also use it to stablize small knots and other defects.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS