Favorite Clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Judgement asked:
[h=2]Re: Which HF clamps?[/h]
Thanks everyone. So, let's do this; what are you favorite clamps?

I have to say that my favorite is the one that fits the job at hand. I started out with "C" Clamps (3", 6" and 9", Used several 9" yesterday.), moved on to pipe clamps (1/2" and 3/4". Used a 3/4" yesterday), acquired some F-Style (18" to 36". Brand name and no name, Used a 36" yesterday), have wooden clamps from 8" to 16" (Used some of each size yesterday)(yup, I clamped up a project for completion), bought some HF aluminum bar clamps and agree that the quality is poor (and yes, used several yesterday), and have several spring style clamps (HF sucks, stick with name brand. and yes, I used some yesterday).

That being said, each type of clamp has its own job that works best. I have the HF because I am CHEAP :eek:, but replacement bar clamps will be quality as I am slowly learning that quality tools work sooooo much better and longer.

So how about it, what is your favorite clamp?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I replied in the original thread... Here's what I said:

Favorites? The ones I have that are sized to the work.

I mostly have and use F style clamps - a good cross between reasonably light weight with a bit of reach (distance from the bar). I use pipe clamps last - for weight reasons. I do like the U- track clamps for weight reasons as well, as their reach is quite limited; these are my go to for edge gluing boards. Many times I am using pipe, F clamps, and U- track clamps because I need them all. I am too cheap to buy the big name parallel head clamps, although I'd probably love 'em.

Henry

Last edited:

thsb

New User
Tim
i wish i had some 24 inch clamps. I bought 50 or so clamps that were mostly Besseys (f style clamps) that range from 12 inch to a lot of 36 inch and some 48 inch. I used them for glue ups a lot. I use my quick Irwin clamps a lot just to hold things in place.

I have some really heavy, old clamps that are 36 inch and can do a lot of persuasion.

I could probably get rid of my HF bar clamps but have some 60 inch that will be used some day.

I am a relatively newbie at wood working and have all these clamps and still regularly find that i don't have the perfect clamp for the job at hand....even though i can certainly make what i have work.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Without reservation, my favorites are Bessey K-Body clamps. I have a good selection from 12" to 60", probably 18 in all. En route to getting this group, I relied on Bessey F-clamps and heavy duty F-clamps from Woodworkers Supply that I still use when needed. For odd shapes, I have a Bessey band clamp as well.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I use Bessey k-body, parallel clamps more than any others.

Lately, though, I have been picking up a few Jet parallel clamps. The Jets have some features that I like better than the Bessey clamps. They have length markings on the bar, a trigger release to move the head along the bar and the Sumo grip handle really makes it easier to apply a lot of clamping pressure.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
All together, I have over 200 clamps of all styles, sizes, and shapes. But the most used, by far, are the 'F' style clamps. They range in size from 6" to 42", and it seems I never have enough of the right size.

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_14302.JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill that is becasue they are all neat and organized - if you simple "Strew" them all around - it seems like you have a LOT more!:rotflm:
All together, I have over 200 clamps of all styles, sizes, and shapes. But the most used, by far, are the 'F' style clamps. They range in size from 6" to 42", and it seems I never have enough of the right size.

cpw

New User
Charles
My favorite clamp is the one that will get the job done at the time. Different ones serve different purposes.
I find myself using F-style and spring clamps the most, but I haven't done that many big projects.
K-body clamps are great but if you want something over 50-60" you have to have the extenders at about $20 a pop. When I was gluing up a king headboard at over 80 inches I just joined two 3/4" pipe clamps with a coupler that costs around $2-2.50 each.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have very few clamps. But I found that a couple blocks of wood screwed into the edge of a length of 2x4, a wedge and a mallet is the cats meow for edge gluing wide panels. I like this method even better than my pony pipe clamps.

All things considering when your wide panel glue up are jointed correctly it take very little pressure to glue them up anyways

Newboy

George
User
I will have an opinion to post here, when the clamps I ordered from the Amazon sale several months ago finally show up!

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I will have an opinion to post here, when the clamps I ordered from the Amazon sale several months ago finally show up!

You should get them very soon. I had some clamps replaced since the originals were not straight (there is a lifetime warranty on Jet Clamps) and the 40" clamps showed up about a week ago. I called them during the sale, and there was a delay because of the popularity of the sale.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You should get them very soon. I had some clamps replaced since the originals were not straight (there is a lifetime warranty on Jet Clamps) and the 40" clamps showed up about a week ago. I called them during the sale, and there was a delay because of the popularity of the sale.

I ordered two of the 40" and two of the 31" during that sale back in March. Been waiting for them ever since. Hope they come in soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS