Entertainment Center finally done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Feels like its been forever since I started this (April) but after many delays and plenty of goofs to stop and fix along the way I finally got the finished product. It was based on plans from Woodsmith with some design chanes to suit my taste and space requirements. Uploaded thes pics today more in my gallery of the progress.

finished_006_e.jpg

finished_005_e_.jpg

The case is Cherry ply using dado jointery reinforced with pocket screws and ply back, everything else is cherry lumber I picked up from Berhnard. I think I now have a new favorite lumber to work with.

I went with adjustable shelves and glued up panels for the top and shelves. I went with a more traditional look for the base than the plans called for. Drawer construction was simple locking rabbit joints pinned with a few miller dowels for a little extra strength with a false front mounted with full extension slides.

The finish is BLO with 6 coats of wipe-on varnish Waterlox original gloss thinned 50/50. Going to give it a couple of more days to cure and rub it out with 0000 steel wool and wax.

As with all my projects this one being my biggest there were some first.

-First time glueing up panels. Not to difficult, biscuits or dowells would have helped with alingment but I managed.

-First time with miterd joints (base) There was alot of cursing and swearing during this phase.

-First time making a drawer. Not as tough as I thought it would be, after making a makeshift router table that is.

- First time mounting a drawer and aligning drawer slides. More cursing and swearing.

- First time making and using a wipe on varnish (Waterlox). WOW! I could'nt believe how easy this was to get a good finish, far better than anything I have brushed on in the past.

I may have created a monster though. The LOML is so pleased with the way this has turned out she has now created a list a half a mile long of projects she wants built and all with cherry. Sounds like a good enough reason to me to make a trip to The Hardwood Store. :gar-Bi

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
It looks great Bryan:icon_thum. With all of the firsts that you've done for this project, your next projects should be a little easier.

Once again, Nice Job !

Jimmy:mrgreen:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Very nice entertainment center. Ain't cherry a dream to work with? You must have hid your "Goofs" very well. I can't see them:dontknow:.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice work, Bryan:icon_thum Sounds like you not only got a great entertainment center but lots of valuable experience as well. LOYL is sure to put that experience to work!!:wsmile:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Bryan, you did a great job on that EC! The form and finish look great. On your next drawer project you may want to move the pulls in a bit, but I really think you did a nice job on this! Ain't it fun to try new things!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Man that looks great. :eusa_clap Cherry is so nice to work with, it's addictive. And thank you for not staining it dark red :)

From the pictures, those look like some nice tight joints and miters, and the drawer fits like a glove. You started in April? Sounds about right, that's how much time I'd need for a project like that.:icon_thum Considering how many "firsts" went into it, I think you should be extremely pleased!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work, Bryan!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

(I too am a huge fan of cherry. I did a small shaker table about 2 years ago and also finished it with Waterlox. It has since really darkened with exposure to the sunlight and looks great!)

You have definitely succeeded with all of the firsts and should be not only be congratulated but feel very proud!:wsmile::wsmile:

Great job!:eusa_danc

Wayne

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Looks sweet but your clean shop makes me a little ashamed! :embarrassed:

Peter the shop was cleaned from top to bottem before I started applying the finish. Untill then it looked normal ie pretty dirty

Hey Bryan, you did a great job on that EC! The form and finish look great. On your next drawer project you may want to move the pulls in a bit, but I really think you did a nice job on this! Ain't it fun to try new things!

Yes I agree on the placement of the pulls but once the holes were there they were staying there.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Great looking piece. I am going to build something for my flat screen but I am not sure I have enough wood to build something similar to yours. I can not find anymore of the wood I have.

Do you know how many BF of cherry you used?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Finally done and well done, Bryan :icon_thum
The cherry is sweet and I like the mix of open shelves for components and a large drawer for hiding stuff!

Roger

cpw

New User
Charles
Great job, Bryan! Lotsa firsts conquered. So when can you drop it off? :wink_smil

T

toolferone

Yup, cherry is my favorite, and you did a great job using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS