Emmert Vise w / handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Finished my vise handle today and had to post a pic of it with the vise and by itself. I made the main dowel part out of curly maple and the caps are a sandwich of mahogany and curly maple. I finished it with 3 wipe on coats of BLO and 1 wipe on coat of shellac. I really like the curl figure and how it pops out. :icon_thum

Mike

DSCF0016.JPG

DSCF0022.JPG

DSCF0023.JPG

clowman

Clay Lowman
Nice job from beginning to end of this project. I did some snooping around and found someone selling an emmert (Not near as nice as yours for about $900). You got yourself a pure gem there. They also said this was about the best pattern makers vise ever made.

M

McRabbet

Mike: What a gem of a vise! Beautiful choice of woods for the handle and nicely finished -- BTW, in case no one has mentioned this in passing, but YOU SUCK!

Rob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Mike,

Nice restore, it looks beautiful. That was one heck of a find and I really like the handle. You suck bigtime! :mrgreen:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow Mike, I love the way your handle turned out. You're right........that finish you used really does make that grain pop. How did you attach the handles to the end of the rod?

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Outstanding!!! :eusa_clap I'm also interested in how you attached the ends... I'll be needing to make a handle like this (eventually :roll: ).

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
D L Ames said:
Wow Mike, I love the way your handle turned out. You're right........that finish you used really does make that grain pop. How did you attach the handles to the end of the rod?

D L

DL, Insom,

I turned the main dowel to just shy of 1" (thats about I could go and still let it slide freely). I then turned about 3/4" on both ends down to 7/8" and used a forstner bit to drill the end caps. I actually drilled the end caps first and then kept checking the size on the dowel so the end caps went on with moderate pressure. One end fits quite tight and the other will come off with a strong hand twist. I am actually glad it turned out that way because I wanted to be able to remove it if necessary during the mounting process.

Appreciate the comments guys.

MIke

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks Mike. Again, nice job on restoring the vice and turning the handle. I can't wait to see it mounted to your bench.

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Ok Ok,,, I saw it the day you put the pics on,, awsome awsome awsome vice,,Serious SUCKAGE going on there with that handle too. I am know crawling through flee markets to see if history is going to repeat itself and I find one. Be blessed friend, even though you SUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS