Embarrased newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

scompton

New User
Scott
Hey, I need to introduce myself.

I'm a young'n still I suppose, currently 23. I was born and raised in Oxford, NC in Granville County. I graduated from NCSU in Technology Education and teach Middle School Technology in Holly Springs. Some of you might meet me there, I know there are a few of you in the area. :icon_thum We have a wood shop there that I use to show students safety and how to make pens/CO2 cars/rockets. I have to admit though, I don't feel much like a woodworker. :embaresse

My experience includes making boxes, shelves, model cars, gliders, pens (not that great at those even), and random parts needed for when I was in college. I know my basic tools and such, but feel more intimidated at thinking of turning large wood to make bowls. I have some videos, but my experience so far has taught me that it is hardly ever as easy as it looks and that you can make some expensive mistakes. :cry_smile

At home, I have a drill press, dremel, and some other basic hand tools. A lot of my time is spent also working on making DIY electronics for audio which can include lots of great wood projects like speaker enclosures, audio racks, headphone cups and holders, even fine amplifier and other gear enclosures. I'm very interested in including more of these type projects to help me gain some more experience to also help me do more when I teach, so I hope I can make the most of things here.

As always, safety first and thanks for having me.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Welcome....
Hey..many days I feel WAY outclassed by some of the talent on here.
I make plenty of OOPs!!!!
The good news is that most people here are more than willing to teach their craft.

A very skilled woodworker once told me however...it is not the mistakes you make, it is the skill that you use to hide them that separates a regular woodworker from a Craftsman.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the forum Scott. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Glad to see another young guy on here. :eek:ccasion1 Don't worry about your experience level. I suck and I post my stuff on here all the time. :rotflm: There are a ton of very cool members in your area. This is a great group of folks, so feel free to jump right in with any questions. Looking forward to your input in the forums and hopefully meeting you sometime. :eek:ccasion1

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome Scott. Whenever you are home, feel free to give a call and stop by.

George

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Scott. It's good to have you here, makes me feel less "green" :) Don't worry, you have 40 or so years to get good at this stuff. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your work - woodworking or otherwise.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hi Scott! Welcome to our little slice of paradise :gar-Bi. Folks here are friendly, so don't feel intimidated about jumping right in with your questions. As for turning, you'll find people who are always willing to do a turn-n-learn for those wanting to learn more about the dark arts :wink_smil.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Welcome Scott! I got started in woodworking back in '98 when I got a minor in Tech Ed at NCSU (and a major in Secondary Science Ed). Then I taught engineering at Enloe for a year before starting a family and being a stay-at-home Mom. Two years ago I started a part time woodworking business: www.dowdenwood.com

This is a great group of woodworkers. I am very glad that you have joined. Thanks for being a teacher.

Amy

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Scott!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I have only been piddlin' in woodworking for about the last three years (of my 62) and I can tell you one thing, there are some fantastic folks here at the site more than willing to show the tricks, offer excellent advice and give you plenty of encouragement!!!:wsmile::wsmile:

Remember. It's just wood and there is always more where it came from so what's a little "boo-boo" now and then!!:gar-Bi

Jump in, post often and by all means share some project pictures with us.

Have fun and stay safe 'round those power tools!:gar-La;

Wayne

scompton

New User
Scott
Wow! I feel very welcomed already. :) I'm pretty amazed at how active people are in one region. People from my home town and even some from my career field itself, that blows me away. Thanks so much, I'm feeling encouraged.

I know its expected of me to put some pictures up soon. I will probably attempt to make a matching front and back plate soon for a re-purposed metal enclosure and want to turn some knobs for an audio pot. Eventually, I'll put together some vacuum tube hybrid equipment I have parts for in some all wood enclosures. My last goal will be to turn some really sweet sounding and looking cups from headphones (I'll always be a geek). I am already readying some questions for when I get around to finishing the wood.

I've got a picture of me ready that I'll put up in the proper thread later coming too. Oh, small edit update, looks like I've got some purchase orders to pick up from Klingspor for the school, so I'll have a chance to do some looking around. :)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
ahhhh yesss a college boy!:rotflm: welcome aboard young fella.:icon_cheers age is something you learn to appreciate as you depreciate :gar-La; lookin forward to the pics.:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Scott, don't be embarrassed about be a newbie, everybody was at one time. You've found a great place to learn all that you want. You bring the wood I'll show you some bowl turning, it will give me a good excuse to break in my new lathe.
I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pics of your work.
See you around!!!

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to the friendliest woodworking site on the net. Feel free to jump in at any time.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, Scott! Glad to have you!

You just stick with your hand tools and basic power tools and stay away from those lathes. Those things are dangerous! And I can prove it! If you could meet some of those "Dark Side" guys you'd quickly see what I mean!

:rotflm:

Gary K

New User
Gary
Welcome Scott! I wish a resource like this existed when I was your age.

I think Al Gore was just inventing the internet then.:dontknow::rotflm:

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Scott -- we look forward to seeing your input and participation. You'll find friendly folks and good information abounds here.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Hi Scott,

My first big project I tackled was building a mission style bed. My tools at that time consisted of a drill, doweling jig, 1/4 sheet sander and a skil saw. I had to buy my wood from Home Depot because I did not have the tools to plane the wood or cut it to size. I designed the bed myself, and overall, it was one of the best projects I have ever done in terms of my learning experience and satisfaction with the finished product. I guess my point is, what matters is not the tools you have (although this does help make it easier), but your desire to learn. Good luck and don't forget to post pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS