Either New Shop or Great Wife Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outa Square

New User
Al
After working in the driveway and the front porch; storing tools in the mud room; and wood where ever i can: the loml told me i should take some of the money that we have saved and build me a shop. She willing for me to spend more money then i am willing to let me spend.

Thus far i have decided on a 16 x 24 with a 12/12 pitched gable roof. I decided to build it on peirs instead of a slab. I was surprised that cost of a slab and the wooden floor is going to be close to the same cost; if i do both myself. I am planning on over building the floor system so that weight isn't a worry when getting future equipment upgrades. Right now, i am looking at having a loft that extends for 3/4 of the 24' so that i have 8' by 16' area that has more than a 8 foot clearance. Depending upon what i use to span the area for the loft i should be able to to recess the lights and have 8' clearance there as well.

What i haven't decided yet is the orientation of the building, initially i was going to use it to screen a view of my neighbors yard to the rear but that would mean placing a door on the gable end where i could store lumber vertically and have 8 to 12 feet clear, which wasn't an issue but because of a thread here i am rethinking.

Sorry for my ramble; i am just excited and need to share this with you guys and everyone for that matter. My nine year old is now asking for a shop for Christmas, when i told her it was my shop and nobody else's. I told her she welcome to come visit me but she need to remember it was daddy's shop; of course she wanted me to paint it pink.

I am hoping to work out the details soon and pull the permits. I am fortunate that i have been able to speak to the building inspector that is the supervisor in my area, he has been very helpful and suggested somethings that will save me some money. Although plans aren't required i plan on drafting a set up so that he can review them for me that way i can hopefully do everything right the first time. :gar-Bi

Please share you thoughts as i am limited on my wood working experience and my shop knowledge is based on my father and grandfather's shops which are both a lot larger.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
My shop is 16x24 but was built with a shallower pitch (8/12) so I am not using the attic area for anything. On my to do list is an attic scuttle so that I can throw stuff up there. :wink_smil If I had built the shop, I would have poured a slab. No sag issues ever. At first, I didn't have things right but I think the layout works now. Put in plenty of outlets at 4' high and double the number of 220 plugs that you think you will need. Put in plenty of lighting and plan for some natural light as well. I have a 3' entry door and also a double door with a ramp up into the shop. The ramp is very handy. If I ever finish my shop cabinets I will post pictures.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
-Make it as large as you can.

-Wood floors will definitely be better for you feet, legs, and back, but make sure that they are termite proof.

-Make it as tall as possible, verticle storage will help, also make sure that you can get at least 8' plywood upright (min. 9' ceilings) remember that lighting hangs down.

-If possible, pipe DC and compressed air, before closing walls in.

- Run as many outlets as you need, then double them because you can't have enough. Also make sure to run some 220v, eventually you will need them.

-Bring in a minimum electrical service of 60 amp/220v sevice, 100 amp is better, 200 amp is even better.

- Put a couple of outlets on the outside of the shop, you will find uses for them.

- OSB is probably the cheapest product for the interior walls. Either paint the walls a light color or expect to have more lighting, dark walls absorb light.

-If possible, put an exhaust fan on the opposite wall of the door, it will used more than you think.

- Windows are nice for natural light, but they make it easier for prying eyes and break-ins, they also take up precious wall space.

Hopefully this helps, I'm sure more will follow.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Think about running dust collection piping under the floor. (Look at Alan in Little Washington's set up.) Put your outlets over 4 feet about the floor so that sheet goods againt a wall do not block the outlets. Run separate lines for the lights, one for AC, one for a dust collector, and then group tools that will not be run simultaneously on the same runs.

I love wooden floors and you wont regret it.

What kind of doors are you thinking of? A garage door is not the best in my opinion. It blocks lights when open and if it has rained recently it will drip water onto your tools and work. A wide sliding door is preferrable.

Doug

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
When I built mine, I was going to build it 10 x 20 and the wife talked me into 12 x 24 - she said I would be glad I did. Now, I wish I had gone even bigger. You will be amazed how fast the new "large" space suddenly becomes very small. If you are going to be there for a while, make it as big as you can and you will be glad you did. I have never heard anyone complain they built a shop too big.

Install more electrical outlets than you think you will need then install a few more. You can never have too many. Put several on each outside wall.

Consider building a lean-to on the side for wood storage.

Wood floors are good. I wish I had insulated mine to keep it from getting so cold. Now, I can't easily get to it.

Be sure to install wide doors.

J

jeff...

My shop it 16x32 on piers with a beefed up flooring (2x12 joists on 12" centers). I like the length but the width needs to be wider. One word of advice make sure your big wide door is located closest to the ground so you can get big tools up into the shop without having to use steps. I uses the natural slope of the ground to place my door.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
12x12 pitch on the roof? If you have a cat, it will look at you funny. I understand the need for storage space, but you'll wish you cold hire Spiderman to put wood, tarpaper, and shingles up there. I say this from experience on a fellow "Engineer's" shop...built to get best use of materials, and that was the one mistake he will admit to: that 12 x 12 pitch roof.

While we're talking roof, the underlayment (plywood) should be offset - start with a 4x4 sheet along the bottom, followed by a full sheet. Next row starts with a full sheet. You get more of the rafters tied together - stronger structure. The "other" mistake I caught while helping put on the roof. I guess that summer job of framing carpentry has helped me out several times, now.

Last edited:

gator

George
Corporate Member
Mine is 16 x 24 that I built myself on piers. I used a garage kit from BDC (Builders Discount Center). I had a 3' drop in grade from one corner to the diagonal corner so instead on moving a LOT of dirt to make it level for a concrete pour, I used piers. One advantage is that I have a crawl space that I could run the DC piping and the power for the tablesaw under the floor to the center of the shop and not have to worry about tripping over DC hose or power cords. All the other comments about 48" high outlets, OSB for the walls etc are good. I traded in the garage door that came with the package for additional windows. My figuring was that a garage door took up valuable wall space and better than 90% of what I build has to go into a house through a normal door so it must come out of the shop through a normal door.

George

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=198

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Now I am jealous, I want a new shop and have offers from friends to build it, just no friendly offers to pay for it:rotflm:. Congratulations and good luck.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Build it as big as you can afford. It will never be too big. Also if you think you might ever build onto it in the future, you need to take that into consideration when you place in on your lot/land.

You said you were going to make drawings of the shop. I recommend spending a lot of time studing the drawings to ensure you get everything planned as near as possible to what you want BEFORE you begin construction. I did that on the shop I am currently building and so far so good....no surprises yet.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Lots of good advice on this string. Let me add something that has not already been stated:

Consider a 10' floor to ceiling height downstairs. Much easier to move large boards around in and things hanging from the ceiling will not get in your way.

If you pour a slab, you can build a knee wall from cinder block and use standard 8' studs on top of it.

Having storage upstairs is "theoretically nice", but ingress/egress can be a real pain.

Scott

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Al, congratulations on the new shop:eusa_danc Two years ago LOML suggested that I build me a new shop but I decided to build our new livingroom on to the house instead:BangHead: - WHAT was I thinking:BangHead: well I guess we made our house more valuble:icon_thum - I will get my new shop soon of the Lord is willing:icon_thum

Outa Square

New User
Al
Thanks for the feedback...

the 12/12 pitch is to match that of the house, as i live in a craftsmen style bungalow that is located on a 1/3 of acre in-town lot that was built in 1919. I am not fond of roofing a 12/12 pitch but how many times to you have to do it. i figure i can do it this time and next time i can find a roofer that needs to feed his family to do it. That's what i said after i did the roof on my house and I'll say it again.

The power will be a new service underground as the service to the house will limit me to 60 amps... i believe. Not enough... i am pricing electrical now so I'll know the size soon... getting the service to the building will be no charge so my budget will dictate the size of the breaker box, so if i can find a deal on a 200 amp box that is what it'll get. I know the lights and outlets will be on a separate circuit as i have been in the dark at my fathers shop prior to him separating his lights and outlets.

Right now i don't have any 220 tools but i plan on putting 220 outlets near where i'll place my bandsaw, table saw, and the future homes of my dust collector and air compressor, as i see those being upgraded in the foreseeable future.

thanks again for the feedback

JimD

Jim
Senior User
With respect to tools and lights on different circuits, it's nice to have more than one lighting circuit. I would even share the circuit with tools to have 2. Rarely would you trip both at the same time. Just a thought... Most of the time, having a window would also help prevent stumbling around.

Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Al, if you bring in a new 200A service for the shop, you can always backfeed the house from the new service and save yourself the $10.00 minimum charge from the utility.

Re the 240V circuits, I ran some in my old shop before I located my tools... turns out that I was not able to utilize any of the circuits that I originally put in. If it were me, other than one token circuit in the middle of the shop, I'd consider waiting and running them later. You can always run empty conduit to make it easy to pull wires through the walls later if you want to have hidden wiring. The challenge now is not only where to run them, but also what size wiring to run...

Since you're building from scratch, you might also want to consider a small enclosure on the outside of the building to house a dust collector and an air compressor. it sure is nice to get those noisy machines out of the shop!

Re the 12/12, I know where you're coming from. My house is 12/12, as is a farmhouse remodeling project that I did last year. Roofing them is not for the faint of heart!

200A load centers are fairly inexpensive, and it's cheap now compared to later if you need more power.

Scott

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Congratulations on the new shop, and the phenominal wife. My wife has told me more than once to build a shop, unfortunately she can't tell me where to get the money for it.

As far as planning goes, take your time. Go to grizzly.com and use their workshop planner. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, the link is on the left. http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx That tool will help you design the layout and placement of your tools. Granted you can only layout using their tools, but you can get real close to what you have grizzly or not. If you use that tool, you should be able to get a really good idea of where to place dedicated circuits, and how to best optimize your space. Plus it's a really fun dream tool.

Keep us up to date on the design and progress.

Living vicariously through you,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS