Dust Collector Gloat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I got both of these beauties used for $25 a piece. They have a little dust on them, but work GREAT!

100_14081.JPG

View image in gallery

Now I am going to set a dust collection system. I am going to blow it out the back of my shop like Charlie does, and not worry about the filtering. I don't really want to listen to these suckers whine, so I am going to build a "Doghouse" outside to house them in, and run some electrical wires with a switch inside to turn them on.

I have a question though. Based on your guys' experience, should I put these both on one line in a "Y" configuration with two exhausts? This would give me more suction on one line. The alternative would be to have one line either side of the shop, and leave them there, and not move the hoses nearly as much, but have less suction per line.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I have a question though. Based on your guys' experience, should I put these both on one line in a "Y" configuration with two exhausts? This would give me more suction on one line. The alternative would be to have one line either side of the shop, and leave them there, and not move the hoses nearly as much, but have less suction per line.

If by suction, you mean vacuum or static pressure, then no, you will not get more suction by running two in parallel (for the same reason you don't get 240psi by hooking two 120psi compressors to the same air line). Assuming large enough piping, however, you might be able to move more CFM.

dlrion

New User
Dan
HA!

I was totally thinking about that wrong... weird how you assume that certain things will line up in a mathematical way...

Have to increase the size of the pipe just like in electricity you would have to increase the size of the wire.

lol

ss600r

New User
Steve
I picked up one of those recently. Should work for my small needs. Get them from that guy near charlotte?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Yup, pretty good deal!

Man does he have any left, those are a great deal. :icon_thum :eusa_clap What's the HP and CFM.

I was thinking the same thing a while back about putting two DC inline. Then I got to thinking after what some others said and I thought that the motor and fan inside the housing wood get way hot, spin faster than it's supposed too.

So just use them separately like Charlie does. You can still have, I'd say one y fitting on each, but make sure you get blast gates to close the one off while the other is being used.

I got a kit from Amazon for the hoses, It's $56 w/ free shipping it came with: the following:

• 2 - 4-Inch blast gates
  • 2 - 4-Inch by 10-Inch hose
  • 1 - Table saw dust hood,
  • 1 - Universal dust hood
  • 1-Inch to 4-Inch Y-fitting,
  • 10- 4-Inch wire hose clamps
  • Package size 24-Inch by 24-Inch by 12-Inch
Hope this helps~!

And Super ConGRATS Dan~!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
1 HP 914 CFM

Yeah he has more!

He has paypal too.

I was very happy with this guys service. If anybody wants some here is the ad:

I think he was saying $25 for used and $40 for new.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mat/1875610031.html

Nice Guy to work with would recommend!

Man that is a good deal just to have on hand for later when I can actually maybe, hopefully have a shop like Charlies some day. You should have bought a couple more.

Great Score.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I was thinking the same thing a while back about putting two DC inline. Then I got to thinking after what some others said and I thought that the motor and fan inside the housing wood get way hot, spin faster than it's supposed too.

And Super ConGRATS Dan~!
This will only happen with a universal motor, which these units have. An induction motor will only turn it's designed speed (usually either 1725, or 3450 RPM) no matter what the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS