Drawer web frame question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Looking for advise on gluing a web frame to a cabinet side, All species are solid wood, same species, same log even. The picture shows a sliding dovetail but mine will be a standard old dado. Do I have this right?

Web_Frame.JPG

Thanks

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Jeff, your pic shows 2/3 of my process. I also don't glue the back rail and cut the stiles to leave about 3/16 - 1/4 from the rear rabbet. My drawers never hit the back either.
For dressers, the cutout in the back panel (for hand access), includes one of the back rails for lifting. When I remember :icon_scra, I glue a reinforcing block above that rail.

DavidF

New User
David
Looking for advise on gluing a web frame to a cabinet side, All species are solid wood, same species, same log even. The picture shows a sliding dovetail but mine will be a standard old dado. Do I have this right?

Web_Frame.JPG

Thanks

Looks good to me. Go on, try the sliding dovetail, it's actually the right solution if you are going straight in to the sides like that. The DT resists the side attempting to bow out, whereas your dado will be glued only on the end grain of the cross piece, never a good thing. On the router table it really is a piece of cake.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Looks good to me. Go on, try the sliding dovetail, it's actually the right solution if you are going straight in to the sides like that. The DT resists the side attempting to bow out, whereas your dado will be glued only on the end grain of the cross piece, never a good thing. On the router table it really is a piece of cake.

David, I already cut the dado's in the cabinet sides but I promise you, next cabinet I build I will attempt sliding dovetails.

Thanks for the reply :thumbs_up

DavidF

New User
David
Ah, pity. Any room for a small block underneath that front rail? a small 1/2" square block glued to the underside of the rail and the side of the cabinet would give you a stronger long grain - long grain glue joint to the sides and the rail is not wide enough to worry about cross grain construction with the block. Just a thought.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with everyone, but I personally like web frames with "dust panels". that way, stuff from one drawer doesn't interfere with another drawer when it gets "over stuffed". Not that it happens in my household.

DavidF

New User
David
Good point Travis.

Piece of cardboard stuck to the web does the job if you forget to build it in:wsmile:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Forgot I had this pic, Jeff. But you can see the sliding DTs. On this particular example, the drawer top kickers were glued to the end panels and provide support to the dust frames. I make the DT slots in the frame members, then use the web frame stiles to mark the panel dado slots. Remove the panel, cut the dados and the panel snaps back into place.
moz-screenshot-10.png

A_009.jpg

I use this to cut the dados.

Dado_Jig.JPG

moz-screenshot-9.png

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Used to be in the tips forum, but looks like it's gone now.
However, I have the mag (Shopnotes 76). They sell the plan online. I've tried to email the pages but I've been told they aren't clear enough to work from.

Anyway, I have 2; one for a 5/16 bit (for 5/16 to 31/64) and another for a 1/2 straight bit (for 1/2 to 3+") or 1/2 dovetail bit for sliding DTs.
Both clamp up to 32". Wide enough to dado both sides of a bookcase in one pass, then rip the 2 sides apart. Cuts rabbets too!.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
jeff, I have shopnotes 76 in pdf format if you want to look at it. too big to e-mail though. :icon_scra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors