Draw-boring technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
I figured I would post a few pics on draw-boring. This is a technique that I read about, but had a hard time visualizing how it worked at first. I used this on the workbench trestle bases that I made for Woodguy, and plan to do this on my own workbench project........ someday..... *sigh*

Anyway, the idea is to use dowels to reinforce the mortise & tenon joinery. The only difference is, the holes in the tenon are "bored" slightly offset, so the tenon is "drawn" into the mortise as you drive the dowel in place (hence the name).

First, the M&T joints are all fitted. This includes grain and color matching the pieces, etc -- the project needs to be dry fitted exactly the way you want it to go together. Once that is all completed, all the pieces are marked with a pencil so they can be taken apart and put back together the same way. I just numbered the joints.

Next, the pieces are marked for the locations of the dowels. I did this while the project was assembled, to avoid confusion. The project is then disassembled, and the mortises are bored out for the dowels. I drilled from the inside faces of each piece, and drilled all the way back into (but not through) the outside face.

IMG_2214.jpg

Next, the project is re-assembled, and the locations of the holes are transferred onto the tenons. You could use a dowel center finder or an extra drill bit for this, but since I don't have those I just marked them with a pen:

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

The holes in the tenons are bored just slightly off center - probably less than 1/16" - toward the shoulder of the tenon.

IMG_2221.jpg

This leaves a little "meat" on the outside of the bore hole when the M&T is re-assembled - it looks a little exaggerated in this picture because of the angle:

IMG_2225.jpg

The dowels are cut long enough to reach all the way through and engage on the far wall of the mortise. The leading end of the dowels are chamfered slightly to help get them though:

IMG_2227.jpg

During the assembly phase, the M&T joinery is glued up and assembled just as usual. Glue is applied to the dowels, and they are nailed into place with a hammer. You have to be careful not to drive the dowel in too far - you could blow out the back wall of your mortise!

Finally, it's just a matter of cutting away the excess from the dowel, and smoothing it all out with a plane and/or sander:

IMG_2229.jpg

One of the biggest advantages that I see with this technique is that the project can be assembled in stages, without using any clamps at all. The dowels draw the joints tight -- you can see the glue squeeze out while the dowels are driven into place. As long as the shoulders of the tenons are square, the assembly will be pretty well self-squaring.

:cool:

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
With this level of educational content we need to charge for membership :mrgreen:

Thanks Insom,
Sapwood

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great play-by-play, Insom!

We newbies sure do appreciate all the technique that guys like yourself pass along!:eusa_clap

Whenever I have a chance to get up to Williamsburg, I always insist on spending at least a couple of hours at the cabinet makers shop, blacksmith and the wheelwright (sp?) shops. The types of techniques that you are showing us are exactly what I saw up there! Not much has really changed when it comes to joinery over these many years. (Except for our biscuit joiners, pocket hole, dovetail and dowelling jigs.)

Just the joinery talent that you have under your belt seems to be disappearing!:crybaby2:

Thanks again for the excellent tutorial!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wayne

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice tutorial Insom:eusa_clap. I am constantly amazed at the level of knowledge and craftsmanship on this site. Thanks for sharing with us wannabes:eusa_pray .
Take care,
Randy

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
It's nice to finally know what that term is. For me, it kept conjuring up notions of cutting riflings in a gun barrel. That's a really old (ancient?) technique.

Monty

New User
Monty
Ozzie-x said:
It's nice to finally know what that term is. For me, it kept conjuring up notions of cutting riflings in a gun barrel. That's a really old (ancient?) technique.

Yea! That's something I forgot about... a few years back I went to Hart's Square fall festival here in Hickory, and they had an old gunsmith shop set up. This is the boring machine - you can see the rifle barrel clamped to the sled, which is drawn along the boring bit as the handle is turned:

IMG_2317.jpg

And here's the rifling machine. You can see the pitch of the rifling on the guide thingy (no idea what it's called), and the cutter is running down inside the barrel...

IMG_2319.jpg

Pretty cool, huh? :cool:

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Nice pictures! That's neat that you had pictures of that operation. I've never seen the actual set-up, only read about it. The currator of Hart's Square is a MWTCA member and we had one of our meetings at Hart Square. There was so much to see there, they've done a phenominal job.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks for that tutorial Monty. You did a great job putting it together and presenting the information.:icon_thum I like the idea of being able to complete the assembly without clamps.

D L

M

McRabbet

insomniac said:
Yea Hart Square is a great place for old tool geeks...
Little did we know that this was where Monty learned to make Bench Bases and he even enlisted his best buddy to help!

Monty_Chop_836629.jpg

:mrgreen: Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS