Does Anyone Use Corian For Pens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone turns any pen & pencils out of corian? If so what size do the blanks have to be? Would anyone be interested in trading some pen/pencils for some corian if I have big enough corian pieces? Thanks. Steve

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
The size of a Pen blank really depends on the type of pen. I would say at the smallest you could use would be 5/8 square.

dmann

New User
David
I bought an assortment of Corian from a guy on ebay. They were cut down to about 1/2"x1/2" and were just barely big enough to create some slimlines. I had to be real careful about drilling them or they were useless.

If you can source them I would probably look for 5/8"x5/8" up to 3/4"x3/4" to give some margin for error.

Its amazing how they polish up with micro mesh. It was a fun break from the normal hardwoods I am used to turning.

Kenith

New User
Ken Stewart
Yes, the 5/8 size is about the smallest I have used for slimlines. Typically I glue two pieces together and make about a 3/4" blank so I don't have to be as precise when drilling. What colors/patterns do you have? I have quite a bit of corian laying around that I make pens and other things from (makeup brush handles for one) and always look for colors and patterns since there are so many. Plus, the stuff glues so easy that I make iinteresting layered pens.

Ken

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Yes, the 5/8 size is about the smallest I have used for slimlines. Typically I glue two pieces together and make about a 3/4" blank so I don't have to be as precise when drilling. What colors/patterns do you have? I have quite a bit of corian laying around that I make pens and other things from (makeup brush handles for one) and always look for colors and patterns since there are so many. Plus, the stuff glues so easy that I make iinteresting layered pens.

Ken
Hi Ken, I will get some photos as soon as I get the chance and post them here. The colors are not so bright without a finish on them. I was hoping to make some sort of trade as I would like to have some homemade pen/pencil sets. I think that they are just beautiful. The ones that I trade for can be corian or wood or any other medium. I like all the different designs. Steve

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Corian glues well with an almost invisble line when done right.
Don't limit yourself without reason.
Personally I'm not a huge fan of synthetics but some can be very nice. I'm just a woodie at heart!
Don't overlook other uses for Corian like bushings/ turning points/ etc.

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
What glue are you using to glue them up?

I just got a few pieces to play with. It is not Corian but one of there competition. I don't know the manufacturer.

Jeff

Kenith

New User
Ken Stewart
I always use medium CNA glue and make sure I spread it over the whole surface I want to bond. It is hard to do without having some run out of the joint.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS