Do you really use 12" resaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm looking to make a band saw purchase soon. I was wondering, those of you who use your band saws regularly, how often do you really need 12" of resaw? Is a 14" saw with a riser going to work well? I've seen some discussion about not really being able to tension the blades well enough.

I would think something with the frame designed to handle more would be better. Looking at the Rikon 14" (12" resaw) or Grizzly 14 Deluxe (10" resaw).
Do you wind up needing the extra height if you have the Grizzly?

Thanks,
Bryan

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Bryan,
Bigger and stronger is nearly always better for large task. I've used 10-12" resaw capacity only a hand full of times. It's nice to know you got it just in case you need it. I have a Grizzy 17" and the smaller Rikon 14". I like them both. You probaly would be well pleased with either of the ones you are looking at.
Rob

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've got a Rikon that will resaw to 13+ inches, and to date have not needed to go that wide. I did have a smaller saw that when I did need to resaw, it wouldn't do the job. I got as much band saw as I could afford at the time. I don't personally like riser blocks as I feel that the strength of the saw is compromised some, but since I've never actually used one, that is just an opinion. Right now I use my Rikon to resaw up to about 6 inches wide and it works wonderfully, and there wasn't a lot of fiddling with it to make it work well.

RayH

New User
Ray
Hi Bryan,

I'm a hobbiest, not a "real" woodworker, so weigh that. I have a Delta 14 inch saw with a riser block. Without the block it is advertised as a 6 1/4 inch capability. Out of the box, I find mine is really about 5 7/8 inchs. With the block it will cut just under 12 inches. I have never used that full capability, but I have often used it at 6 - 8 inches-- just enough that without the riser block it would not have worked.

I'm sure their is some strength compromise, but as a hobbiest I have not seen it. I often use a 1/2 inch blade with good results (by my standards). There is plenty of tensioning left. I even managed to tension a Timber Wolf 3/4 inch blade -- one time. Won't do that again:no:.

I know that bigger is always better, but you pay the price in $$ and space. Adding the riser block is about $100. Moving up to something like a 17 inch is $.

It's tough chosing, but I'm sure you will get great enjoyment out of whichever you pick.

Best of luck,
Ray

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I regularly resaw Cherry and Maple from the firewood pile that is 8-~12" dia. I had the HF 14" BS with riser and it laughed at me when I set one of these blocks on it's table.
With the Rikon 10-325 it's no problem at all. I use a sled from one of the WW mags for these large pieces, I wouldn't try it freehand with the fence. I haven't used the Grizzly but I'm sure it's a good BS also.
Ken

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I regularly resaw Cherry and Maple from the firewood pile that is 8-~12" dia. I had the HF 14" BS with riser and it laughed at me when I set one of these blocks on it's table.
Ken

Mine cried and screamed real loud! It did it though until the blade loosened and came off the bottom wheel. This jammed the blade into the Persimmon log and I wasted a brand new Timberwolf blade.
I would not try to do this big a job on this saw again (Persimmon is a bit tuff:gar-La;) but regularly did 7-9" pieces of Oak, Maple and Walnut before I sold it. Need more grunt for the big stuff.
bandsawlumbermillinfeed.JPG

bandsawlumbermilloutfeed.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think it is wise to resaw greater than you can joint. You will need to flatten at least on face of the piece. That can be accomplish many ways other than on a jointer, but not as efficiently. That was my thought process when purchasing a Griz 0444Z BS and not getting the riser block for it. I still don't think that I would resaw greater than 6" but I have many time wished I could knock the corners off a turning blank taller than 6". Or cut the lid off a box that was wider than 6". I will soon be adding the riser block to my saw for those reasons. If I had done this knowing what I know now I would have choose a 14" steel framed BS with a taller capacity like the Rikon.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
One other opinion I might share, is that if you plan to be resawing heavy exotics like purpleheart, jatoba(brazilian cherry), bubinga, bloodwood, teak, ipe, etc., you might want to get a mininium of a 2hp saw and be able to tension a 3/4, 2 or 3tpi blade. If you stay in the common domestic woods and some of the lighter exotics like lacewood, leopard wood, padauk, etc., the smaller saws and 1/2 blades will serve you well.
There's lots of good BS's out there now so have fun and don't forget to post a gloat when you get it. With pic's of course. No PIC's, it never happen is our policy.
Rob

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I use a riser on my 14" Delta. As a woodturner, I am frequently cutting up "found" wood to make blanks. I have been able to get about 8 to 9 inches of green wood under it before it chokes, coughs, and dies ;). But... it's better than the 5 1/2" I got before the riser block.

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. DaveO I didn't think about my jointer size. Interesting point. Ken, a fellow Rigid table saw owner. :wink_smil

Decisions, decisions. 2hp motor on the Grizzly. 12" on the Rikon. I've never used a band saw before. Is it correct to use it to resaw some 10" wide maple that is 1" thick in half? I would hate to cut it down and run that much off on the jointer. This is new ground for me.

Thanks,
Bryan

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have the Rikon 10-325 steel frame band saw. It will cut 13 inches of just about anything I run through it. It also has a two speed pulley system that will slow the blade and offer more torque for the hardest woods or soft nonferrous metals.

I have cut 12 1/2 inch wide Maple boards 8/4 thick into 1/4 inch slabs with no problem. The Rikon comes with a round bar that attaches to the rip fence for re-sawing.

I have also cut 11 inch thick rounds for the lathe with my Rikon.

Blades are pretty easy to change and easy to adjust. The roller guides do take a little time to adjust, so if you have the space and cash you may want a smaller saw for fine cutting with 1/8 or 3/16 blade. But if you don't switch between re-sawing and fine curve cutting very often maybe the one saw will do for you.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
For me, 6" resaw just isn't enough. What to get is dependant on what you are wanting to do with it. If I was planning on doing resawing and so forth, I would want at least a 12" resaw with a minimum 1.5 HP motor.

Having a jointer big enough to flatten your boards is nice, but not a requirement if you can tune up and use a handplane.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Right along the lines of what you are already hearing, I would suggest getting more than the standard 6" resaw. I would also try to get a frame that was made to support it. I just picked up a Grizzly 17" saw and you might want to look at. What makes it intriguing compared to others in it's class (like Rikon 18" and Steal City 16") is a larger table, heftier wheels, and . The downside ... an odd blade size (meaning not carried in stock at the stores, must be ordered online).

As for 14" saws ... use the same rules to judge one ... and get a strong frame and adequate motor.`

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Thanks again guys for the great responses. I have some heavy contemplation ahead. Nothing left to do but pull the trigger I guess.

B

Rod

New User
Rod
I have the Delta 28-475X (14") with the riser block and personally I enjoy having the height. But them again, I do a lot of resawing.

If I had it to do again, I would have gone for an 18" or larger. If I had to choose between 14" brands, I might have gone with the Rikon just because the adjustments seems quicker on it.

rod

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I've used the 12" resaw capacity on my Laguna multiple times and have wished a few times that I've had more. I like to saw veneers, but, you have to ask how many 12" wide boards your going to find out there that you'd actually want to resaw into veneer? My vote would be for a 16 or 17" bandsaw because they do everything pretty well.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Beancounter

New User
Todd
I have a 14" Delta 28-299 with riser block. While I've never resawed 12", I frequently do stuff in the 6-8" range with no problem using a 1/2" blade. Motor power is key - mine has a 2 hp wired at 220v. That said, bigger is better if you've got the space and the $$$.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Todd,

I work in Greensboro near the Farmer's Market. If you would like to have lunch sometime give me a PM. There are several NCWWs in the area.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
14" Grizzly , first thing I did was to put a riser block on her to increase resaw capacity.
Do I use the extra inches, YOU bet YA, I do. ALmost all the time I am raising the bar up for some reason or other.
Just the other day I was resawing 2x10x8'.

Second thing I did was to put a carbide blade on the saw.
It will make a 3/4 Hp motor behave more like a 1 1/2 - 2 Hp.
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors