Do I really need a Sliding Compound Mitre Saw in my shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Before building my shop, I already owned a Dewalt Compound Mitre Saw (not sliding). Since building the shop, I have received a FESTOOL 75 Plunge Saw and a BOSCH Sliding Compound Mitre Saw. This weekend when drawing up plans for a Mitre saw workstation; I was faced with the reality of the "sliding" aspect of the BOSCH and just how much depth is needed to accomodate it. (My shop is only 16 feet wide. . . )

My question before building the workstation is this: With the FESTOOL and older DEWALT, and my UNISAW; do I really need and will I use the BOSCH Sliding Mitre saw?:icon_scra

Thanks,
Tim

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
When I bought my 10" SCMS off craigslist I asked the guy why he was selling, and he pointed across the shop to his TS75 and MFT. He mentioned that with a little bit of adjustment to his workflow he made the adaptation and didn't see the need for the SCMS taking up shop space anymore. Not necessarily for everyone, but it seems to have worked fine for him.

For the question on depth you could get a Festool Kapex or a Bosch GCM12SD which are both designed to not take up as much room in the rear. Unfortunately The Bosch is $700+ and the Kapex is $1300 so a lot of bite out of the wallet. If you don't have an MFT you might possibly sell the Bosch SCMS and buy an MFT.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
The reason I bought one is that I frequently had my table saw set up to rip several boards to the same width during a project, but it seems I would always come across a need to crosscut a board too wide for my standard miter saw. I didn't want to disrupt my rip fence setup for a 20 second cross-cut.

manfre

New User
Manfre
In those instances, you could always cut, flip, cut the wide boards about 1/4" over length with your miter saw and then clean them up with the TS after you're done ripping. I have a 10" SCMS and do not have a miter saw workstation due to its required depth. The saw is usually parked under the bench and moved out to an option spot on the floor when I need it.

cpw

New User
Charles
For the question on depth you could get a Festool Kapex or a Bosch GCM12SD which are both designed to not take up as much room in the rear. Unfortunately The Bosch is $700+ and the Kapex is $1300 so a lot of bite out of the wallet. If you don't have an MFT you might possibly sell the Bosch SCMS and buy an MFT.

+1
I have a Bosch GCM12SD axial glide and it is a real space saver. Mine is set up on a Bosch TB4 miter saw stand, so I could move it quickly and set it back up quickly if need be.

However, whether you NEED a slider or not, or an MFT, is something that you alone will have to determine. If you crosscut a lot of wider stock, particularly if tends to be long, making it unwieldy, a "slider" is probably a lot more handy for you. However, if you rarely need to crosscut anything wider than your Dewalt will handle then a slider might be a waste of space because you could set up the Festool, or manage on the TS, or handle it with a hand saw on the few occasions where it comes up. If you're not sure, you might just let frustration be your guide. In other words ask yourself, "Is working around this thing or setting this thing up and tearing it down every time I need it more aggravation that it is worth to me?"

Cheers,
Charles

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Cross cut sled on a TS does the same job really well. Only downside is if you need to cut long stock. It can be kinda unwieldy and more difficult to get a consistent length. MFT sounds like a good option as well since the stock doesnt move like with a crosscut sled.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I don't have any miter saw in my shop...so my answer is no. :) But everyone's situation is different - only you can guess what'll work best for you.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Mike,
Thanks. I do have a MFT and the price of the Kapex and Glide were non starters. . . I was practically given the FESTOOL saw and MFT in a trade (no cash - I traded knives) I could not pass up.
Take care
Tim

When I bought my 10" SCMS off craigslist I asked the guy why he was selling, and he pointed across the shop to his TS75 and MFT. He mentioned that with a little bit of adjustment to his workflow he made the adaptation and didn't see the need for the SCMS taking up shop space anymore. Not necessarily for everyone, but it seems to have worked fine for him.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Actually, if I am not building the Mitresaw station; a crosscut sled was the next project on my list.
Thanks,

Cross cut sled on a TS does the same job really well. Only downside is if you need to cut long stock. It can be kinda unwieldy and more difficult to get a consistent length. MFT sounds like a good option as well since the stock doesnt move like with a crosscut sled.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Charles,
Great info. Thanks,
I looked at the Glide as a potential purchase but then the deal for the BOSCH and FESTOOL saw and MFT fell into my lap and was too good to pass on.
I believe "frustration" will be my guide as I progress in my woodworking skills.
Cheers,
Tim

+1
I have a Bosch GCM12SD axial glide and it is a real space saver. Mine is set up on a Bosch TB4 miter saw stand, so I could move it quickly and set it back up quickly if need be.

However, whether you NEED a slider or not, or an MFT, is something that you alone will have to determine. If you crosscut a lot of wider stock, particularly if tends to be long, making it unwieldy, a "slider" is probably a lot more handy for you. However, if you rarely need to crosscut anything wider than your Dewalt will handle then a slider might be a waste of space because you could set up the Festool, or manage on the TS, or handle it with a hand saw on the few occasions where it comes up. If you're not sure, you might just let frustration be your guide. In other words ask yourself, "Is working around this thing or setting this thing up and tearing it down every time I need it more aggravation that it is worth to me?"

Cheers,
Charles

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I took advantage of building a cabinet/miter station and used the extra depth for storage. Here is a picture of my setup. Now this might not work for everyone but for what I work on it seems to work fine. I upgraded to the Kapex as well. Didn't want to spend the money but after getting a chance to use one the accuracy was worth it in my opinion. Everyone will see differently, so it truly is what works for you

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
When I go to the lumber yard, it always seems like the boards I like are waaay long. After taking home 14' boards on my Toyota pickup, I have to cut them to a size close to what I need. I have found a sliding miter saw to be ideal for this. I have a Hitachi 8 1/2" saw, so I am limited in the thickness I can handle. It will do a 12" cross-cut. For thicker stock, I head over to my DeWalt GA which can handle 4x stuff. I would recommend keeping the slider.

Roy G

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Very nice cabinet/mitre station! I agree on the accuracy of the KAPEX; but for now, a little out of my price range. I actually missed including a KAPEX in on my deal by 4 hours. . .
Better luck next time but certainly not complaining.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
If you are confident you might get a kapex, build it for it or make it easily modified for it later. I wish I would have gone ahead and got it at the time I thought I wanted it.

did you ever find a solution for your pecan lumber? I believe you had some that was in a barn. I can put it in my kiln if you want, I have several loads coming up that everything is at the same MC as your lumber I'm sure.

Chris

Chris

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You don't need it. But you probably want it. I agree that the depth required is a problem, I'm still waiting on Bosch to come out with a 10" version of their glider. That or find a deal on a Kapex.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bas,
Good luck on finding a great deal.
I will keep looking also.
Tim

You don't need it. But you probably want it. I agree that the depth required is a problem, I'm still waiting on Bosch to come out with a 10" version of their glider. That or find a deal on a Kapex.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Chris,
I tried several times to send you a PM with no joy.
I will contact you Saturday if you are available to discuss your kiln.
Thanks and still looking for the slider. . .
Tim

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
sounds good Tim. Oh, I just put a slider on order. 2 months and counting now, that's the hard part. I have 5 kiln loads coming up soon so we'll get you in one of them

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The only time I've missed having a C/SMS was when I installed Crown Molding in my kitchen. Otherwise a TS-55 w/MFT, Unisaw and Bandsaw meet my needs just fine. Remember you can use Bondo on the MFT top:thumbs_up Have you seen these?: http://www.qwasproducts.com/QwasDogs.html
qwasdogs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS