Display at Hickory show

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am not sure this is the right place for this post but I will give it a shot.

Monty has posted a desire to have members work on display at the gathering to take place in conjunction with the Hickory WW show. I am sure ther are a lot of questions connected to this. Some that come to my mind are: How much space is available? Is each participant alloted x amount of space? When would the facility be available for setting up the display? Where do you unload? How long will the display event last? Is this strictly display or may the items be offered for sale?

Looking forward to being at the show, taking part in the display and meeting more of the NCWW members face to face. Just want to be clear on the ground rules before the last minute.:)

Jerry

DavidF

New User
David
Good questions Jerry - what is the maximum size of piece? - NO I'm not thinking of putting the bed in there:lol:

cskipper

Cathy
Good questions! It would be neat if we could really show case all the cool stuff our members do!

Monty

New User
Monty
OK, got some new information... I am told that the room will be about 35'x40'. We will be able to set up some tables for display - we will work with Klingspor to get enough tables and chairs for display and eating. There should be plenty of room for members to display projects, similar to what ya'll did at the spring picnic. Klingspor will also provide us with some nice signs to promote our gathering, including one to promote the pen turning demo (so we better make it good! ;)). From what I am told, there will be no problem if someone wants to sell their goods at the show, but I really need to be sure about that. We will clarify this in plenty of time for the show.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cool Monty, I look forward to seeing everybody's work in person and meeting all who come. This is gonna be a blast :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
How much space is available? Is each participant alloted x amount of space? When would the facility be available for setting up the display? Where do you unload? How long will the display event last? Is this strictly display or may the items be offered for sale?

OK, I just got some new information today about some of these questions. First of all, it looks like we'll have TWICE as much space as we thought we would in our room! :eusa_danc There'll be plenty of room for display as well as eating, with one corner devoted to turning pens for the troops.

Regarding the displays - I think we'll have enough room for people to bring whatever they want to show. We will be able to set up on Friday afternoon - I'm not 100% sure of what time we can start setting up yet (they're using that room for a Klingspor luncheon on Friday). I'll post here when I know. Loading and unloading shouldn't be a problem - I really don't think we'll have to haul our stuff from the parking lot... :oops: If you will be displaying items, please try to set them up as early as you reasonably can on Saturday so we'll have a good variety of projects on display. Because the pen turning demo is in the same room, there will always be at least two members present to keep an eye on things. This will be a great opportunity to "show off" your talents, and will really be a great promotional opportunity to recruit new members to this web site.

Regarding selling items at the show - sorry but this will not be allowed in our room (although anyone is welcome to display their business cards, pamphlets, etc, if they want to). Please understand that Klingspor / the Woodworking Shop is being extremely generous with the space and other accomodations they are providing for us. People who want to set up a booth for selling their crafts at the show can certainly do so. If you want to do that PM me and I will give you some contact details, or just call the Klingspor store here in Hickory.

I'm really looking forward to the show, "meeting" some online friends, and seeing some of the talents of our members!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Just a quick note for selling peices.....

This is a woodworking show. People coming to the show are going to be woodworkers and family. I wouldn't count on selling anything at the show. It will be good exposure, but the viewers are going to be woodworkers too for the most part. I had the occasional chair raffle last year and could bearly sell $5 tickets to folks coming in for charity. Really just plan on showing off to other woodworkers. If you get the "How much?" count it as a bonus. Don't make anything special to sell is all I'm suggesting.

From my experience there are more "viewers" on Friday than Saturday that aren't woodworkers. I've been around this show from the first one so I have pretty good idea of how it will go.

Can't wait to see everyone there.

John

Monty

New User
Monty
Just a few more details. First, we can bring stuff as early as about 7 am on Saturday to set up. Coleman said he will be there. Loading is through the back door (back where it says "Staff Only" in the building layout diagram). Parking is out front. Regarding parking... we'll probably be there pretty early, when the parking lot is wide open. However, people who plan to set up in the morning and stay at the metro center all day should park further away from the building to keep the closer parking spaces open for the show's visitors. All of the groups who are hosting demos there have been asked to provide this courtesy if you're able to.

See ya there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors