Delta Unisaw - Riving Knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Good evening,

I've been searching for a cabinet saw to upgrade to for a while now and have come across a 3 hp Delta Unisaw. Overall I know it is a nice piece of equipment, but I'm curious to know if it has a riving knife? or at what point the Unisaws came with a riving knife? and lastly is my concern of having one as important as I think? I'm sure this is another age old debate and a matter of opinion, but I've found my riving knife on my little contractors saw to be extremely handy as well as comforting during use. Essentially I'm stuck between buying something like this Delta Unisaw for $700 to $800 or just picking up a brand new Grizzly cabinet saw that has all the bells and whistles.

DeltaUnisaw.jpg

-Bromley

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
That Delta looks like an good package for that price. Youcan always add a spliter to it like the Shark Gaurd

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am pretty sure that model does not have a riving knife. Only the newer models have a riving knife.

I used to have a PM66 that I was able to add a Biesemeyer splitter with anti-kickback paws. It wasn't a riving knife, but it was very close, and I was quite happy with it. Something to consider.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
If the Unisaw has both hand wheels on the front of the saw, it has riving knife capability, Other older Unisaws with one handle in front and one on the side does not. There are many versions of splitters available for the older style Unisaws. My 1986 model Unisaw has a Delta Pop-up splitter that I can pull up into place whenever ripping solid stock. I have found little need for a splitter or a riving knife when cross cutting or any other table saw use. Ripping solid wood is when having a splitter or riving knife is most important. There was a product called B.O.R.K (Bolt On Riving Knife) that I saw on the internet back whe I first bought my Unisaw, but I know nothing about it or if it even still exists. There's plenty of information on it that will show if you do a Google Search for it. I'm sticking with what I've got, since I personally don't see an improvement. Long rips will close and need a riving knife or a splitter. Other types of cuts have never given me the problems that a splitter or riving knife could prevent. I use Grrippers and other hold down type push sticks to keep the wood from lifting during the cut, and my splitter has anti kickback pawls that I hand sharpened, so they work well.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors