Delta 6" jointer replacement knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Need help guys, I have to replace my knives on my jointer for the first time. I understand that Model JT360 is 37-658 replacement. They run anywhere from $60 to $89. I purchased the jointer at Lowes 12/05 and have noticed over the years that replacement knives ran about $40. I just want to make sure that I am ordering the proper knives. Also I have checked with all Lowes in the area and they no longer carry this jointer so of course they don't carry the blades. Does anyone know of any place local to Lake Gaston going south of 85 that would carry the knives. I would love to just pick them up. Thanks for the help. Lorraine

gator

George
Corporate Member
I may be wrong but, aren't the jointer knives resharpenable? If they are but you just want new knives, check the size and then check for replacement knives from Freud or Grizzly or any other replacement knife manufacturer. I think Amazon has the Delta's for about $50.

George

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Global Tooling list a set of three for the Delta 37-658 for $12.32, plus shipping. That is about the cost of sharpening. ($0.50/ in X 6 X 3, plus tax.) Go over to Woodnet.net and look up "Brian in Sunny Fla, or Holbren.com and see what the wants. ($14.02 for a set of three, 6 1/8 X 5/8 X 3/32.)He gives a woodnet discount. Shipping from Holbren should be quicker by a couple days, as Global is on the west coast.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thanks guys I knew I could count on all of you. I hadn't thought of sharpening them. I have used this set for 4 years, set that came with the jointer new. I will check on the info you gave me. Thanks again. Lorraine

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I have several sets of 6" jointer knives that I don't use anymore (switched my jointer to helical). If you will give me the dimensions (length, width, thickness) I may have some that I will let you have for a bargain.
Jim in Mayberry

gator

George
Corporate Member
Just a reminder, that if you do resharpen, they must be balanced (same amount taken off each one). I use Raleigh Saw to sharpen my jointer and planer knives and my saw blades.

George

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Jim, these knives are 6x5/8x1/16th. I don't plan to sharpen any of my knives but it would be great to have an extra set so as to not have to shut down and wait for a set to be delivered. Another question concerns the difference in cost from one knife set to another. Am I getting a cheaper set when I pay less are is it just the difference in price? Jim, I need these as soon as I can get them because I am in the middle of my mahagony nightstand project. If someone can answer my above question I would appreciate it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Lorraine, use a set of calipers to measure the thickness of your knives. They are most likely 3/32" thick. I buy my knives from Global. They are Titian brand. Holbren also sells Titian. Only problem I ever have had is one set came with a nicked knife. Called Global, and a few days later I had a replacement knife. Titian knives are a much better quality knife than my original Grizzly ones.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
The knives I have are 6"x5/8"x1/8". I have four sets (of 3 blades), some sharp, some needing sharpening. If anyone is interested, I will sell them for $10 per set.
Jim in Mayberry

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I just ordered my knives from American Knives in Hickory, NC. 6 1/8x 19/32x 3/32 for $28.00. Just can't mess with us woodworkers, when we need something we find a way to get it. Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Lorraine

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Edge hardness is a crucial point about jointer (and planer) knives. Softer cheaper steel takes the same amount of time to set, but the better sets don't have to be changed as often. One soft set I had, I got 200 lineal feet of cutting before I had to trash the knives. I went back to Amana.

I think that jointer in question uses the 3/32nd thick knives. Stack all three up and measure the total.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Well I ordered the knives yesterday afternoon and got them this afternoon. I am installing them, a first for me. Any tips on proper setting would be appreciated. I am sorry to say that I lost my mentor last month to a heart attack so I am now on my own. the manual gives instructions so tomorrow morning I will press on. The company I ordered from is American National Knife out of Hickory, NC. I sure hope they are good knives, their ad so impressive. If you aren't what you say in your ad, you won't get return customers so we shall see. Lorraine

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Well I have been out of the shop for over a week while two mahagony nightstands await my return. I have my new knives and I have looked at the video and printed out two articles, one which uses a gage and the other that uses a steel ruler for lining up and properly installing a new set of knives. Help is all I can say. I don't have a gage at the moment but may have to put that on my list of things I can't live without. My question, I have replaced the knives in my planer and not had to deal with this accuracy issue and the planer has preformed very well. If it wasn't dead on maybe I wouldn't have know anyway. See my question? I will return to the task in a couple of hours and follow the directions given with the steel ruler and hope for the best unless someone from here comes in and tells me something else. If I get the knives in and they are so so what could happen except they will not work as well as a perfectly set pair would? Wish I had a woodworker nearby. Lorraine

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you're asking if you do a bad job of things, will it still work? The answer is a qualified yes.

Using the stick method takes a little longer and obviously not as accurate. Likely one knife will do more cutting than the other two. The feed rate may have to be slowed down a bit and there's likely some fussing with the outfeed table height to get things to work for you, but its a do-able job.

Remember that knives are held in by expansion so when you tighten the knife, the knife will expand the cutting circle and thus raise up a few thou. in relation to the outfeed table.

I recommend a wood stick with a couple of marks rather than a steel straightedge. The steel can ding that razor sharpness of the knives.

The first time you change jointer knives is a daunting task, or at least seems to be. This is natural.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
For those of you who have been following this post, I was about to get the knives placed properly with the help of a friend in my neighborhood. We also replaced the belt for the motor after close inspection. Thanks to all for the suggestions and help. Lorraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors