delta 18-36 drum sander any opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrbd488

New User
Chris
I have a chance to get a delta 18-36 drum sander for 100 bucks form a freind of a freind. The machine is practicaly brand new due to the fact that the guy purchased it and it did not perform as he had hoped so he put it in the back roon of the shop where t has been sitting ever since. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these machines and if it is worth messing with. also I guess to help date it it is made in the usa

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't know much about it other than what I have read in magazines, etc.

But, hey, if you don't want it, I'll take it.:gar-Bi

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
performance on an open-ended drum sander of that sort is subject to proper set up. Set up well, and many people swear by them. For $100 for an 18-36 inch sander, run, don't walk. And then seek out advice on how to set it up properly from experienced users here.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
and i will take it for $100 also. been looking to get one of those sanders for a long time but money not available. i'll worry about how to get it here. steve

decibel

New User
Patrick
for $100 you can't really go wrong. I had this drum sander in the past and it works fine. realize you can't hog off a ton of material as it's not a planer. 1/64 is good MAYBE 1/32. This one does not have infeed outfeed tables but I managed to run 5+ foot long panels through for a tabletop so you can do it.

Like the others said for $100 you should be able to make use of it. Worse case you might need to do some alignment etc. tedious but not horrible.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For $100, it is definitely worth it. I don't like the design of the Delta because the table moves up and down, the drum is fixed (unlike the JET where the drum moves). That means you can't add infeed/ outfeed tables. Still, for shorter pieces, where you don't have to worry about snipe, it's a great.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
For $100, it is definitely worth it. I don't like the design of the Delta because the table moves up and down, the drum is fixed (unlike the JET where the drum moves). That means you can't add infeed/ outfeed tables. Still, for shorter pieces, where you don't have to worry about snipe, it's a great.

Being the proud new owner of Decibels Delta I can tell you it is the best bang for the buck out there:banana:! Bas, after seeing a picture of one with infeed/outfeed tables installed the trick is to install them so that they move with table. Not easy but doable.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Being the proud new owner of Decibels Delta I can tell you it is the best bang for the buck out there:banana:! Bas, after seeing a picture of one with infeed/outfeed tables installed the trick is to install them so that they move with table. Not easy but doable.
That's awesome :eusa_clap :eusa_clap . Let me rephrase my original post: "That means you need engineering skills to build infeed/ outfeed tables, and unfortunately skill doesn't come in a can :) Still, for shorter pieces, where you don't have to worry about snipe, it's a great."

Got a pic or two to share?

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
You can spend $100.00 on dinner for two, This tool will last a lifetime and be passed on to the kid.....I would grab it quickly:icon_thum

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
That's awesome :eusa_clap :eusa_clap . Let me rephrase my original post: "That means you need engineering skills to build infeed/ outfeed tables, and unfortunately skill doesn't come in a can :) Still, for shorter pieces, where you don't have to worry about snipe, it's a great."

Got a pic or two to share?

Really doesn't look that difficult!

DSwithtables.jpg

decibel

New User
Patrick
Geoff Glad to see you chimed and and are enjoying you new [STRIKE]toy[/STRIKE] tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS