Cremation Ash Box

bainin

New User
bainin
This one was requested by a family member. A fairly religious family member :)

Interior is around 200cu inches.

Cover/base are hard maple with light pecan stain to warm it.

Sides are goncalo alves using half lapped miter joints. Scottish/Celtic cross also goncalo alves.

Walnut inlays are mostly to hide errors from trenching and blown out dowel holes.

Colored insert is just some pine I had about. Still some poly to do, but getting close to final assembly.

Hope it wont be needed anytime soon!

b

Attachments

• ashbox1.jpg
    ashbox1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 95
  • ashbox2.jpg
    ashbox2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 93
  • ashbox3.jpg
    ashbox3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 97
  • ashbox4.jpg
    ashbox4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 93
  • ashbox5.jpg
    ashbox5.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 96

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I like the urn. I made one for my parents last year. Not a fun build but reflective.

How did you cut those mitered half laps?

I'm pretty new to this and have never seen them combined.

The pecan stain is a nice touch as well and definitely softened the appearance.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautifully crafted, I am sure it will be very much appreciated. I like the use of pecan stain to soften the maple...did you do anything to the maple prior to applying the stain? I have had mixed success with staining maple due to blotching, I don't see any blotching on your work.

bainin

New User
bainin
The half lapped miter joints were created with a router bit set from Infinity.

The maple was troublesome-i did a reasonable sanding job, including water wipe to raise grain, then a final sand and mineral spirits wipe. Even still the first stain application left some blotching which I wasn't happy with. I guess the good news is the stain highlights the trouble spots :)

I resanded and mineral spirits wiped again...I think i stopped at 220 grit.

Then re-applied stain and a lot of the blotchiness was reduced. Still some there though !
I'm not sure there is a method in there..but im sure someone knows how best to avoid that . I'd like to know how to avoid the extra labor myself :)

b

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS