countersink bit with stop collar

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
im lookin for some countersink bits with the stop collars so i can get consistancy in the depth of my screw heads. ive seen them online at woodcraft,etc. but the ones they have are a bit pricy. i was wondering if anyone has a cheaper version,and where to get them. ive been using the cheap bit countersink combo,it dosent look like i can put a stop on them.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Allen,
There may be a reason some of the stop collars are pricey. I've not tried those, but I have purchased the cheap ones from HF. They suck and not in a good way. The sizes were odd and the set screw threads were poorly machined.

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I find that some blue tape wraped around the countersink cutter works quite well as depth stop...as long as you are paying attention while drilling.
Dave:)

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I find that some blue tape wraped around the countersink cutter works quite well as depth stop...as long as you are paying attention while drilling.
Dave:)
If you do this, and use a strip 1/2"-1" longer, you can leave the ends/tails out far enough to stick them together, adhesive-to-adhesive. Then you'll have a small "flag" of tape that'll wipe the cuttings away when you reach your depth. Nice visual aid to the depth stop!

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Go ahead and spring for the "pricey" ones - they are well worth it. There are two different types - tapered and straight, depending on what kind of screws you are using. I have both kinds. (Actually, there are about a dozen different kinds, depending on how the stop is secured to the bit. Check out Woodworkers Store, Woodworker's Supply, Price Cutters, McFelley's, Lee Valley, Garrett Wade, just to name a few.
Anyway, I think you will notice the difference and be glad you went for it.
Jim in Mayberry

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have been using a "SNAPPY Tapered Countersink Set" for about 2 years now. I find that with the countersink adjusted to the right spot on the drill bit shank, I pretty much know when the depth is right. )I have only managed to break the #8 bit once, after letting it get way to hot drilling some red oak!:tinysmile_cry_t3:)

Like Roger (Sapwood) I have tried using the stop collars, but have always found that the little allen screws really don't grip the drill bit shank quite tight enough.:roll::nah: Of course I am talking about a pretty inexpensive set of collars!:yes4lo:

(Haven't tried the Fuller set....a little too rich for this old retiree income!:tongue100:)

Wayne

(Oh ya. The blue tape method sure works too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS