Compressor hose coupler question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I went out and got a 100' hose for the compressor so I could simply leave it in one place when doing remodeling work, rather than dragging it from room to room. I then purchased a few of the brass couplers from the BORG, came home, tightened them until I physically couldn't tighten them any more, yet they still leak, causing the compressor to come on about once a minute. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: It doesn't bother me, but it is bothersome to clients. :embaresse So my question is, what if I used some of that teflon plumber's tape to better seal it? Has anyone tried that before? Any success? Or do I need to go another route entirely...... :eusa_thin

Thanks!

Trent

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
always use teflon tape to secure fittings like these. I have my compressor hooked up to a hose real in the shop, and if I don't have anything hooked to the end of the hose, it keeps 150psi in the tank without starting for over a week at a time.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
as others said always use pipe dope or teflon tape. are you suer that is where they leak? I almost always buy milton fittings. never HF and most of the time not at the BORG. if they are cheap fittings that may be the problem. :icon_scra

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ditto what the others have said about the tape. Definitely! There are a couple different types at the BORG. I use the pink one. Seems to work better than the white one for high pressure fittings, like air.

Bill

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
are you sure that is where they leak?

Yep, it's between the coupler and the hose thread.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll try some of the teflon tape that I have and see if they still leak. If so, I'll probably look at getting some better couplers. :eusa_thin

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Three things to keep in mind about using teflon tape:

1) Keep the first wrap at least 1 to 1 1/2 threads away from the beginning of the fitting. Wrapping tape all the way to the end of the fitting is how you can end up with tape in your system.

2) Wrap the tape in the same direction that the fitting is tightened in so that when it is threaded together it will not unravel. Holding the fitting in your left hand with the threads to the right you would wrap over the top & away from you. Obvious, I know, but having worked in the hydraulics & pneumatics industry I have seen that this needs to be stated...

3) Adding teflon tape reduces friction so that it is much easier to overtighten a fitting to the point where you can split it, especially if you are using 1/4" NPT threads that are so common in pneumatic fittings. DAMHIKT

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
3) Adding teflon tape reduces friction so that it is much easier to overtighten a fitting to the point where you can split it, especially if you are using 1/4" NPT threads that are so common in pneumatic fittings. DAMHIKT

I don't know how many cheap plastic shower heads I've ruined because of this :BangHead:!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jerry, I'm glad you chimed in on this. I didn't know any of that. :swoon: Thanks so much buddy. :icon_thum

Three things to keep in mind about using teflon tape:

1) Keep the first wrap at least 1 to 1 1/2 threads away from the beginning of the fitting. Wrapping tape all the way to the end of the fitting is how you can end up with tape in your system.

2) Wrap the tape in the same direction that the fitting is tightened in so that when it is threaded together it will not unravel. Holding the fitting in your left hand with the threads to the right you would wrap over the top & away from you. Obvious, I know, but having worked in the hydraulics & pneumatics industry I have seen that this needs to be stated...

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Trent, if you want to purchase a higher quality fitting, you can pick up some Milton brand couplers at Carquest, or buy some from either Raleigh Contractors Supply or Graingers.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Look for male couplers that are machined brass - not cast steel or pot metal. The brass fittings make a better seal against the o ring on the female coupler.
Be sure you buy all fittings the same type. There are several different series of couplers with minor differences in each making them incompatible with other types.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Just FYI The "pink stuff" mentioned earlier is not a delusion LOL LOL it is made for WATER lines. at least 2 or 3 x thicker than that flimsy white junk. Only need bout 2 wraps cause it bulids real quik. The YELLOW ( yes ) is for gas lines :gar-Bi

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The "pink" was actually designed for mating PVC to metal, because the threads seldom are exact. It is thicker, but for good quality fittings, it may get pushed away from the joint. Works well for most "borg" quality.

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Teflon tape is just a lubricant, not a sealant. For a sealant, use Rector Seal #5, which Lowes stocks. Teflon tape can "string off" leaving tiny pieces of tape that get into the workings of your tools. Plumbers don't use Teflon tape on gas lines for this reason. No one wants to pay for a gas valve, nor the resulting explosion, that is leaking due to contamination by Teflon tape.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
When buying fittings, look inside and see how many bearing balls there are. The cheaper fittings have only 3 balls and leak constantly for me. I now only buy the ones with 6 bearings inside them and haven't had a problem since. I don't know the brands, I just look at the insides.
:wsmile:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
When buying fittings, look inside and see how many bearing balls there are. The cheaper fittings have only 3 balls and leak constantly for me. I now only buy the ones with 6 bearings inside them and haven't had a problem since. I don't know the brands, I just look at the insides.
:wsmile:

That's a good idea Reggie. I'll definitely look for the ones with more bearings. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Teflon tape is just a lubricant, not a sealant. For a sealant, use Rector Seal #5, which Lowes stocks. Teflon tape can "string off" leaving tiny pieces of tape that get into the workings of your tools. Plumbers don't use Teflon tape on gas lines for this reason. No one wants to pay for a gas valve, nor the resulting explosion, that is leaking due to contamination by Teflon tape.

Bruce, thanks for recommending this. I was in HD yesterday looking for the pink or yellow tape and they didn't have any of it. I'll head to Lowes in a little while and look for Rector Seal # 5. Thanks for the tip. :icon_thum

jhreed

New User
james
I agree with Dennis, good quality fittings will solve the problem. You will not find them at BORG. Motion Industries, Cross sales, Dillon Supply. These folks sell to industry and would not ruin their reputation with cheap leaky fittings.
James

jerrye

New User
Jerry

Teflon tape can "string off" leaving tiny pieces of tape that get into the workings of your tools. Plumbers don't use Teflon tape on gas lines for this reason. No one wants to pay for a gas valve, nor the resulting explosion, that is leaking due to contamination by Teflon tape.

Exactly what I was referring to. Can be avoided by leaving the first thread or so unwrapped. With NPT fittings they seal by thread interference so you could wrap only the midsection of the fitting and still get a good seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS