Comments on 3rd week post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
As can be determined by the amount of $625 donated thru the first 21 days of the drive, we are far from the goal and will, unless there is a tremendous increase in response during the next 10 days, fall far short of our goal. I know that, in the past, Steve was opposed to making a big "to do" over the drive. I guess you can feel that way if you are the main contributor and will make up the difference if donations are down. As we all know, things have changed in a major way. I worded the 3rd week post a bit stronger than any that have been posted in the past. We can't "tip-toe thru the tulips" any longer and expect to have a successful donation campaign. I was in sales for 33 years and know that 1) you have to identify and show a need for your product, and 2) you have to ask for the sale. In my opinion, the same applies here. We have got to effectively point out the benefits of being a part of this community and not be timid about asking our members to financially support it. I don't think there is any one of us who will be willing to cover any shortfall that may occur. Although we expect great things from the raffle, we still have to keep in mind that there may be a minimum amount of our budget that will be required to be raised from donations. It will be helpful when we know what that percentage is.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that many of our members will decide to support us in the next 10 days.

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: 3rd week post

I will throw a little info here.

We have one member who emailed me to invoice him for a $200 donation which I did last night.

Our most significant contributor hasn't contributed this round. That could be because of his accident.

I personally was going to donate $200 myself, but I am thinking I will break it up and give $60 towards the Lie Nielsen thing so that will help on both fronts.

Personally, I believe the raffle is going to hurt donations. We have had one donation since the raffle started and that was today. That could very well be because of Tar Heel's post. The raffle has already generated $625 as of right now.

I would strongly suggest we put up the barometer/thermometer.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
If all of the Board members are for it, I will make it Happen!!!!!!

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
If all of the Board members are for it, I will make it Happen!!!!!!

As of now (7:42 PM) Tracy, ScottM, Scott Smith, and Stuart are online. Travis was on a few minutes ago and we know what his vote would by reading his last (+1) post. Let's get a yea/nea from those online now. We will then need to hear from Rob and Doug.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I am definitely in favor of Stuart's suggestion; we really need to let our members know that this site is only successful because of their support.

M

McRabbet

I'm 100% on board with Stuart's push, too! We need to kick it up a notch even though I agree the raffle may impact the number of donations. I think we are learning that we should not have them overlap as they apparently conflict.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
On a positive note, we have received right around $250 in donations today (majority from one member).

I still think we need to put the thermometer up. If someone has objections or concerns with it, please speak up.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
If I'm reading the replies correctly, we have positive responses from 5 members. Tracy and Doug have not given us their opinion. There's 9 days left. If we're going to put up the thermometer, let's do it today!! Tracy, Doug, what do you say.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am pretty sure Doug is in. He commented on it at lunch. Plus we have a large majority.

I say, Tracy, have at it.

Just need a way to update it. Doesn't matter if I do it or not, or if I send an update to someone every day. We can't link it to Paypal as the raffle funds go in there, and I have gotten a 1/3 of our donations in the mail and through Quickbooks.

So, if our goal is $1500 and we have raised $860 we are 57 percent to our goal.

TracyP

Tracy
I will get it done, I may have to do it as a staff to do, and let one of the staff members put it up. I have a busy day at work today. If it isn't done by the time I get off I will do it when I get home.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It looks like Stuart's ranting and raving has had some positive effect. Just kidding on the ranting and raving.

Seriously, we have gotten $140 in donations today. I haven't added it all up, but I am thinking we are at or over $1K as it stands.

Congrats to Stuart! I believe we are going to be pretty darn close to goal when it is all over, and I would say that he is responsible for it!

Last edited:

TracyP

Tracy
Anyone thinking like me?:nah:. I was thinking in the shower this morning, (the wife likes it better than when I sing) If we miss the goal, could we, should we extend the Drive by a week or two?

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
That is something we might want to consider. It certainly would lend a sense of urgency to the matter. But there are two sides to every issue. We need to combine our brain power here.

Anyone thinking like me?:nah:. I was thinking in the shower this morning, (the wife likes it better than when I sing) If we miss the goal, could we, should we extend the Drive by a week or two?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am totally against extending the drive. I have heard this for one member but I am sure others feel this way. "Why throw in as $25 donation and get nothing in return when I can drop the same $25 and get tickets for the raffle." The money ends up in the same place.

TracyP

Tracy
I am totally against extending the drive. I have heard this for one member but I am sure others feel this way. "Why throw in as $25 donation and get nothing in return when I can drop the same $25 and get tickets for the raffle." The money ends up in the same place.

The people that are willing to donate will do so regardless of a raffle. There probably aren't more than a hand full that feel the same as the member you are quoting. Most realize that the site offers much more than a raffle prize. We shouldn't fall short of our financial needs due to the comments made by one.
JMTCW

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have several comments.

First, thanks for getting the barometer up.

Second, please update it. At the moment, in total, and including what I said I was going to donate we have 32 donations worth $1147 gross.

Third, I have mixed emotions about extending the drive. I would say, we probably need to reconsider fund raising drives and raffles and how they coincide and overlap.

Fourth, since the raffle is fund raising, so far we have $1090 gross in raffle ticket purchases. We are close to starting to profit from it, and it hasn't been a week yet. For some reason though, I am scared of the raffle.... Don't know why, but I am nervous we are not going to make a lot out of it. Hopefully, I am just being paranoid. We do have some members who have donated and bought raffle tickets.

Fifth and final, I think the key to fund raising is going to be the 501C non-profit status. Once we get that, and donations are tax deductible and eligible for employer matches, I think it will make a big difference. Our fearless leader, is moving forward and I believe that is going to be key. Several of the major contributors have asked for it because of employee matching programs, and if we had it available now, we would have already surpassed our goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS