color matching stain pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodydiver

New User
curt
Hello all,
i have posted a couple if pics of the bookcase i am working on and the bed rail i am trying to match. I put a base coat of oil based stain (ipswich pine) and was looking for some pointers on what type of sealer i should use. it is going in my daughters bedroom. i read a couple of threads about spraying with an hvlp and i ordered the vaper kit (3 gun kit) online.

i also was looking at using a toner to finish off the color match, the amber transtint looked close ( more yellow) or the honey amber (more brown).
i was hoping some one might be able to help.
thanks again,
curt

Attachments

• 100_2002.jpg
    100_2002.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_2001-2.jpg
    100_2001-2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
J

jeff...

i also was looking at using a toner to finish off the color match, the amber transtint looked close ( more yellow) or the honey amber (more brown).
i was hoping some one might be able to help.
thanks again,
curt

By the looks of the color in the picture - I would say about 80 - 85% Burnt Sienna and 15 to 20% Yellow Ochre. If that's to warm a pinch to 5% of Van Dyke Brown will will cool it off a little, but use it sparingly because it will darken on you quickly. Another route might be about 90 - 95% Raw Sienna and a 5 to 10% White, but I'm thinking that may be a little to bright.

Try your toner mix on a piece of scrap and adjust accordingly before you shoot your master piece.

woodydiver

New User
curt
thanks jeff,

any comments on what sealer to use? i was thinking about spraying the lacquer with toner and then a clear coat to finish.

i just got the vaper guns today.
thanks,
curt

J

jeff...

I like a good quality sanding sealer and lacquer, I hope John (woodguy1975) chimes in here, he's got a lot of experience and from the pictures I've seen does absolutely stunning finishes.

Lately I've been playing with water based polycrylic and really like it. I was really against the idea of shooting bare wood with a water based finish. But once I overcame my mindset, polycrylic works pretty well as both a sealer and topcoat finish. For toner coats my oil based pigments won't mix in water based finishes, but my powders will.

If your dead set on lacquer, in my opinion you won't find a better product than Mohawk, some may have their own preferred brand they like over others, Mohawk is just mine (plug for Mohawk). Water based seems to becoming the new fad over the older solvent based lacquers, it's low on VOC and super easy clean up with water. Just remember you'll need powdered pigments if you want to mix up toner coats.

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=211
http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=210

And yeah - I totally agree with you, seal, tone, then top coat with a few coats of clear.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS