Club turn-n-learn, ideas.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thought I'd throw out a few questions to those of you with vast experience in the spiny world of turning :)

Coming up in October, HOW (Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers) will embark upon its most ambitious endeavor to date.

Second only to my failed plan to build a 60 foot tall Queen Anne Lowboy in one hour.....

My question to the collective mind that is NCWW, how could we manage 10 people (or more) with two lathes.

We'll have access to at least one full sized and one midi lathe. We also have access to multiple shops.

The plan is to do basic spindle work resulting in a turned mallet. Possibly also taking on an intro to bowls.

I'm asking for any ideas.

From buying 10 lathes to setting up a "Take A Number" machine.

Maybe we split up and some do sharpening while others turn?

For those who attend group turnings, what are some of the things you've seen around organization?

Thanks!
Jim

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There's going to have to be a person in charge of direction. That person cannot be distracted by entering into any process of teaching or turning. He'll be the welcoming committee, the one who keeps an eye out for lathe/grinder openings and who needs to go next.

Sharp cuts, dull tools frustrate and can present a safety hazard to the beginner. No one is allowed to approach the lathe without sharpened tools. Likely, a sharpening and inspection station will be first.

For a beginner, sharpening will be the most difficult part and also the most important part of the woodturning process. Each turner must sharpen his/her own tools. Having a sharpening valet for the attendees bypasses a very important part of the learning process.

Maybe during the opening minutes have someone do a quick demo on sharpening then turning a little with the sharp tool to show what the attendees can expect to be doing.

Have all the equipment set up ahead of time with fast access to all needed accessories and turning stock. Waiting while someone fools around with a setup is tough on attention spans.

Minimize sanding time expected.

Have good, experienced people assisting the turners.

Soft drinks, coffee, cookies, etc. can be a pleasant distraction to those waiting their turn. That should be on a separate table across the room so as to avoid getting too many chips in the drink cups.

those are just a few quick thoughts on many hands-on woodturning events I've seen in the past.

Those with the least experience will usually be the most reluctant to start a hands-on. Nobody wants to look like a total klutz in front of their friends. That's human nature.

Consider it to be a big cocktail party for like minded friends without the alcohol, and it'll be great. If only half of the people do some sharpening and turning, you've done your job. Its all about having a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS