Clay created a monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After rediscovering how fun pen turn is at the Klingspor pen-turn-a-thon this Saturday. I can't stop turning pens, well actually I can...I ran out of kits. Have to stop by Woodcraft tomorrow 8-O Here's today's fun:

Pens_001.jpg

Left to right: Heart Pine resawn out of some old beams from a 200+ yr. old carriage house, Walnut with wire burning, Paduak super slim:-D , and finally my first attempt at a CA finish on Padauk cut on a bias.
Now how do you pen turners get the CA off your fingers, I got it every where from gluing the tubes, I actually glued my shoe to the floor after stepping in a big drip puddle :oops: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:
Dave:)

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Dave a little acetone will cut that CA, if you got any. Awesome Pens !!!

erasmussen

New User
RAS
" I actually glued my shoe to the floor after stepping in a big drip puddle"

Is that the peach colored shoe?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Insert evil laugh here!!!! Nice job Dave. If you are inclined to get more kits. I get all of my slim line kits from Woodturninz.com. I like the $2.00 fancy ones. Especially the Satin Chrome ones.

As far as getting the glue off of your fingers. Jeff has a nice solution. Although, I do admit, I end up picking it off little bits at a time while hitting the "New Posts" button on this website. I find it all usually comes off in the morning shower anyway. I see in the future you'll soon be replacing your purpleheart pen with a custom made DaveO pen!

cskipper

Cathy
Ditto on the evil laugh! :lol: The pens look great. Was the shoe one of your peachy ones? Oh yeah, wear gloves when using CA.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Was the shoe one of your peachy ones? .

That's never gonna die :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: Those shoes had to go straight to the trash. They would have dried stiff as a board with a 2" thick layer of latex paint on them :lol: :lol:

J

jeff...

That's never gonna die :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: Those shoes had to go straight to the trash. They would have dried stiff as a board with a 2" thick layer of latex paint on them :lol: :lol:

Dave a little acetone would have cleaned them boots up nicely, that is if you have any :lol:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Nice pens Dave. I told you once you start you do not wont to stop. My wife now hides her nail polish remover after I glued up the blanks for the show. I guess I need to go to Lowes and get some acetone.

:rotflm: Glued your shoes to the floor :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

J

jeff...

I think finernail polish remover is acetone plus 10 times the price.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Uh oh, there goes the DaveO scrap pile :oops:
You will be turning out 50 pens a day. :eusa_clap
But shame on you for blaming it on Clay :eusa_naug

Roger

clowman

Clay Lowman
Insert another evil laugh... come on Ray you know you want to. I'll even come show you how to spend your money... errr.. turn a pen...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
And so another weekend, and the monster haunts the lathe. After unsuccessfully trying to true up a bowl that I turned green...it got launched8-O :oops: I decided to turn something safer...a few pens. So a Walnut slimline pen and pencil set -

Pens_006.jpg

I tried to play around with the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood on the pen, but it didn't end up as strong of a contrast as I thought it would. The pencil has a really nice knot in it that makes for some wild grain.
Now just to learn how to photograph turned pens :oops: :oops: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

J

jeff...

nice, you guys are really tempting me with all these awesome pens, you know that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS